Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #85
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
I bet this isn't the next mustang .. maybe some ques taken from it but that is about it ..

Crowley
Old 04-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #86
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
That thing is just ugly enough to be a new mustang.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #87
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Your right...100%...but they say the Alpha platform can be made larger or even smaller. What exactly that means I don't know but I'm guessing you could get a small V8 in there (5.x litre?) and I'm guessing the platform could handle the stronger, heavier hardware.
How much weight will they save by getting rid of the two rear doors and the length of the body back there?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #88
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Folks, an Altima is a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE with a MAXIMUM of a 3.5L naturally aspirated V6 (although the weight given is for a 4-cylinder version). Family-sized ECONOBOX.

Mustang and Camaro, as mentioned above, need to be built to adequately handle 400+ lb/ft of torque without turning into a pretzel, a figure an OEM Altima will NEVER endure. With all the necessary upgrades required to handle a hi-torque V8 engine along with the heavier duty brakes, rear diff., driveshaft etc. etc., do NOT expect a Pony Car to equal the Curb Weight of ANY FWD econobox under ANY circumstances...

If they did weigh the same, you wouldn't wanna pay the necessary price.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #89
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
How much weight will they save by getting rid of the two rear doors and the length of the body back there?
Next to nothing. They shift the body "back" for that "long hood/short deck" look on a Pony Car. Roughly the same amount of mass. Difference in Curb Weight between a 2-dr Cavalier and a 4-dr Cavalier was less than 60 lb.

http://www.new-cars.com/2005/chevrol...ier-specs.html

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 04-16-2012 at 06:34 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #90
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I'm generation Y and I don't care for it as a Mustang. It looks incredible for something like a Fusion, but not as a Mustang.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #91
_Nick_

Drives: '87 T/A, '87 IROC, '70 Grand Prix
That concept looks nothing like any Mustang should.

Also, we need to drop this 20+" wheel Bulls**t. Cars are now designed around them, so they are all huge.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #92
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Sorry if I came off wrong at first...I would never expect a Camaro with a V8 engine and supporting hardware to come in at 3,100 or 3,200 lbs.
Nah. You didn't come off wrong. I don't know why the new cars are getting heavier either (I hear crash testing standards), but the weight isn't just a camaro or Chevy problem. The big v8's just can't be put into the lightweight chassis that will house a I4 or even a v6. The other thing is we want less weight and more power. Then the EPA wants more mpg's and the NHTSA wants better crash testing. The the consumer wants cheap prices. It's not an easy situation to be in. You have to compromise somewhere.

I wonder what the next gen mustang and camaro will be able to accomplish with weight savings. Time will tell.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #93
_Nick_

Drives: '87 T/A, '87 IROC, '70 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Folks, an Altima is a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE with a MAXIMUM of a 3.5L naturally aspirated V6(although the weight given is for a 4-cylinder version). Family-sized ECONOBOX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Your right...100%...but they say the Alpha platform can be made larger or even smaller. What exactly that means I don't know but I'm guessing you could get a small V8 in there (5.x litre?) and I'm guessing the platform could handle the stronger, heavier hardware.
You guys mention displacement as if it impacts weight. If its a Gen III GM V8, it weighs the same as every other Gen III GM V8.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #94
cbass

Quote:
You guys mention displacement as if it impacts weight. If its a Gen III GM V8, it weighs the same as every other Gen III GM V8.
Because it does. Even if a small block V8 isn't that much heavier than a V6 with much larger displacement it produces a lot more torque. Torque is a twisting force. You need proper structural integrity built in as torque can twist things out of shape and cause damage. It's a fun, but cruel mistress. I have seen big motors put into motorcycles and literally they have twisted the frame.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #95
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Folks, an Altima is a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE with a MAXIMUM of a 3.5L naturally aspirated V6 (although the weight given is for a 4-cylinder version). Family-sized ECONOBOX.
We covered that already...please I simply made the reference to the Altima to show that nicely equipped modern mid-size cars can still come in weighing pretty light compared to some of the cars we are used to today. Again as I said before, I'd never expect a V8 muscle car to come in at 3,100 lbls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Nah. You didn't come off wrong. I don't know why the new cars are getting heavier either (I hear crash testing standards), but the weight isn't just a camaro or Chevy problem. The big v8's just can't be put into the lightweight chassis that will house a I4 or even a v6. The other thing is we want less weight and more power. Then the EPA wants more mpg's and the NHTSA wants better crash testing. The the consumer wants cheap prices. It's not an easy situation to be in. You have to compromise somewhere.

I wonder what the next gen mustang and camaro will be able to accomplish with weight savings. Time will tell.
You are right....these auto makers are being pulled right and left, up and down in an attempt to please everyone. It can't be easy at all.

I think the next gen of pony cars are going to be EPIC in the area of performance. Today's cars are already amazing enough. You know they are going to be lighter, and you can bet they will have as much or almost as much power. I can't wait.

The only question that remains if if they can come up with a design that looks as good.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #96
cbass

Quote:
I think the next gen of pony cars are going to be EPIC in the area of performance. Today's cars are already amazing enough. You know they are going to be lighter, and you can bet they will have as much or almost as much power. I can't wait.

The only question that remains if if they can come up with a design that looks as good.
I also wonder what they will cost. They are already starting to get expensive. But maybe I didn't adjust properly for inflation? Not an expert on pricing, but I thought they were cheaper, but I have no data to back to up so feel free to call me out if it's BS.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #97
hotrodsally
The Legend Lives On

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS SIM
Send a message via Yahoo to hotrodsally
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
not buying. first of all they're ripping off Aston Martin to begin with.
secondly, i just expect they'll do what they did for 2010. take a recognizable mustang, and smooth and modernize the lines more.
+1.

Viva Las Vegas!
hotrodsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #98
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Its a mistake. I'm 30 years old and apparent target buyer and I want the timeless look that the pony cars have now. They look plenty modern with retro cues, all three of the pony cars are selling like hot cakes. Why obliterate what is working? Besides anyone the futuristic 4th Gen Camaro and how well that went? I love the Alpha platform...but by the same token, if the 130R is the next Camaro....its going to alienate fans young and old.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote