Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #1

Drives: Camaro 2013 2SS
Bird Poop and Crappy clear coat

What's up with Chevrolet's crappy clear coat? 20 miutes out of the garage and bird poop etched forevermore? The bird of paradise must love red! I have two other vehicles and the poop fcould stay there for days without a problem! Seriously, is the clear just thin, poor quality, or what? Very disappointed in the product!!!
22385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Yeah I had a bird poop on my trunk corner, hard as heck to get off, left a mark thru Zaktek & clear coats. What the hell did that bird eat?? Thank heavens it missed my vert roof.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #3
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
I had Ceramic Pro nano crystal coating on mine and a crap etched thru. Some crap is just like paint stripper.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I have at least 5 bird crap etchings on my hood.

I think it sat at the dealer covered in shit before I bought it. 2 of the spots are really bad.

I tried compounding & wet sanding, but they are still there. A couple weeks ago I had fresh crap on my hood. It was seriously like 30 minutes. Meguiars ultimate compound wouldn't even get it out fully. You can still see the ghosting from his ass splatter pattern.

I hate birds.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:56 PM   #5
warnerwh

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
You guys are scaring me. On my muscle cars that I try to keep in near new condition I have never had bird poop etch into the paint. On my Explorer it has but I thought that was because of different clear coat on it. Btw the clear on the Camaro is very hard. You can hit it pretty hard with Ultimate Compound and an orbital polisher and not go through the clear. I had a lot of fine scratches on my car which I think were due to going through car washes and I had to really go over them many times. I think I could use a rotary with a wool pad and probably be safe but am chicken. My point being if you use Ultimate Compound you need at least an orbital polisher because by hand will take forever.
warnerwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:41 AM   #6
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerwh View Post
You guys are scaring me. On my muscle cars that I try to keep in near new condition I have never had bird poop etch into the paint. On my Explorer it has but I thought that was because of different clear coat on it. Btw the clear on the Camaro is very hard. You can hit it pretty hard with Ultimate Compound and an orbital polisher and not go through the clear. I had a lot of fine scratches on my car which I think were due to going through car washes and I had to really go over them many times. I think I could use a rotary with a wool pad and probably be safe but am chicken. My point being if you use Ultimate Compound you need at least an orbital polisher because by hand will take forever.
Ultimate Compound will mess the clear up...Don't ask me how I know...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #7
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Bird poop is a no-no. I carry a squeegee bottle around in all of my cars. You have to get that stuff off the paint immediately. Do not let it sit for days, or you will end up with stained or etched paint. If the etching isn't bad then you can polish it out. The worst case I've seen was actual clearcoat damage that could not be polished out....but that was a severe case of neglect and perhaps an extra potent plot of poop.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
ABADZL1
ZL1 Pilot

Drives: 2013 ZL1
A dent guy came out to my house to pop a couple of door dings in the wifes hotwheels Camaro. He had a locally (to me) made chemical that he was using to polish the paint where the dents were. We had a really bad bird crap stain on the hood of the car, I had previously tried several products to buff it out. Nothing would touch it. I showed it to the dent guy and he said "watch this". To my amazement the stain is gone forever. The product he used is called Varigon2. The stuff is made by a guy in Memphis. Look it up and get some.

GP Tuning 2.5 Cam, RPS Carbon Twin Clutch, Ported Blower, Kook's Headers, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ID850's, 9.17 Lower, 2.5 Upper, JMS BAP, Pedders Front Radius Arm Inserts, Whiteline Subframe Inserts, Tuned by me with HP Tuners
Idle Clip Link...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTL8S9eHwbs
ABADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #9
DonM
Camaro #4

Drives: 2017-Hyper Blue Metallic-2LTmanual
I try to keep my car frequently washed anyway and I keep a load of Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish on the paint. I always wash the car immediately, or at least hose off all the poop before going anywhere. Minor water spotting isn't an issue.

I've heard that using a fabric softener/water mix will help dissolve the poop and let it rinse off easier (It works the same with bugs on the front end too).
Old 07-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I've had -small- etchings disappear after a few hours if I caught them early. On an older GMC I had what I called "eagle s--t" almost burn through clearcoat and paint! Those enzymes are powerful!
Old 07-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
I keep mine clean...not anal about it.....butt never had a problem with bird poop. It washes off.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:18 AM   #12
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
I keep mine clean...not anal about it.....butt never had a problem with bird poop. It washes off.
Maybe it is a color thing. My Bright Yellow is very forgiving!
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #13
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
It's more of what's in the bird poop, rather than GM's "crappy clear coat".
And just like others have said you've got to get it off the paint ASAP.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #14
Coleroad

Drives: 13 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
It's more of what's in the bird poop, rather than GM's "crappy clear coat".
And just like others have said you've got to get it off the paint ASAP.
+1 it is all about what the bird has been eating. Some will etches the paint in a few minutes. Other can be on for much longer and not damage the paint. Best thing clean it off quickly, and don't park under trees to reduce the odds.
Coleroad is offline   Reply With Quote