Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-15-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
Centauri

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Looking for some advice before I pull the trigger (M)

Alright, I have a plan in place to get the CAI, headers w/ high flow cats, and suspension upgrades, along with a bunch of other smaller improvements and a tune. All this in advance of getting a supercharger next year.

My main question is this - my car is bone stock, and I don't really mind it being quieter. In fact, I kinda chuckle at cars that have the exhaust noise, but no guts. My main goal is to go fast, not be loud. With that said - what kind of change should I expect with headers/cats going through stock mufflers? Will it be annoyingly loud, or just a little more rumble? I assume others have gone this route.
Centauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Will be loud , stock system flows well , not annoying tho
Old 05-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #3
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Also if you getting super charger next year dont waste money on a intake

And yes others will chime in with there two cents and say you can buy intake that you can swap out the intake tube to match a couple different type superchargers. But if you go that way you will end up with spending over 500 USD for the intake and tube upgrade in 12 months , or you could put that 500 into the cost of the super charger and skip the intake this year
Old 05-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Most of the restriction and noise robbing is done by the factory cats. The HF cats alone will open the exhaust up and give you a nice sound.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD DAB View Post
Most of the restriction and noise robbing is done by the factory cats. The HF cats alone will open the exhaust up and give you a nice sound.
Exactly. There a a lot of people that get long tube headers or go catless that are very happy to keep the stock mufflers installed. It will increase the volume and improve the tone without causing massive drone and angry neighbors.

So bottom line, you do not have to change mufflers to get better sound and performance from the car.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote