Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Might be getting back in a Camaro

Hey guys, its been a while since I posted on here. I been in and out of a few vehicles since my 2010 SS/RS.

So I had my 2010 SS/RS, I missed having a truck so I traded that for a 2011 F150 FX4 5.0L. That truck got piss poor gas mileage (13-14 mpgs) and had a 36 gallon tank so it was eating my wallet every time I filled up.

Traded the F150 on a 2012 Kia Optima SX (I Know....I know....).
All in all the Optima is not a BAD car. Lots of options, 274hp turbo 2.0L has good power/pickup/fuel economy. Ive seen upwards of 34 mpgs on the highway in that thing going 75-80. But I honestly HATE having front wheel drive. Torque steer is like the most annoying thing possible. And it has some issues with the turbo waste gate, and some annoying lane drifting issues that I think has to do with crappy tires. But its all covered under warranty. So nothing out of my pocket, just a hassle basically.

So recently I started looking at ways to get out of the Optima....which I ended up leasing. Now I cant break the lease without a huge penalty fee. Since i have 19 months left on the lease. But my sister has always liked my Optima. Currently she's driving a 2008 Equinox LT with 50k miles on it. She basically jumped at the idea of taking over my Optima.

I found a dealership that would buy her Equinox, and let me in on a 2013 2LT/RS Camaro for around $360 a month with 2k down (also a lease). I pay $310 a month for the Optima. These are just early stages of numbers, but I think I could work down the payment. And it would all depend on how much they would buy the Equinox for. But then my sister would take over the Optima, she could pay off the 19 months of the lease with whatever she sold the Equinox for and still have cash left over). Then I would be free to a new vehicle.

Now I am kind of torn. Because I would love to get back into a Camaro. But I just don't know if the 6 cylinder engine is going to cut it for me. I will definitely be an upgrade compared to the 2.0L Turbo in the Optima. But if I move back into a Camaro, I would really prefer a 2SS/RS, but its just not in the cards money wise right now. So should I wait another 19 months, finish my lease and then get back into a Camaro and be able to go to an SS. Or just hop in now and be in another 3 year lease on a V6 2LT/RS.

Just venting. This is totally a first-world-problem to have. I know I should be grateful for the car I drive now (it really is a nice car, gets lots of compliments, has lots of room, gets great gas mileage, has good power, does OK in the Chicago weather/snow.) I also bought a Harley Davidson back in September. So vehicle wise...I am doing OK. I just have this 'drive' to get back into a Camaro...especially since its relatively inexpensive to get back into one now.

So thats all. Thoughts, comments, suggestions.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Well if it were me I wouldn't bother. Nothing against the V6 but once you've had the V8 it's just not the same. My brother was looking at getting a new Mustang to upgrade from his 2000 GT and looked into a new V6 stang thinking it had 300+hp and that since that was more than his GT's V8 had it would be great. I told him to test drive before he did anything. He did and couldn't believe how let down he was by the V6. The low RPM torque difference killed that idea. He is now very happy in his 2012 Grabber Blue GT.

All I'm saying is that since you've had an SS an LT might end up feeling like a watered down experience to you. I would keep the Kia and live with it till the end of the lease. Save money on the side and when the lease is up you'll be in good place to get another, most likely even better, Camaro.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
What will the lease payment be for a 1ss?
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
I'm going to sell my 2011 2LT/RS to get back into a truck, heh. PM me if you're interested.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Fiveg56

Drives: -
1. Leasing cars is nuts.
2. Why would you let your sister take over the Kia with all those problems?
3. The Mustang V6 is fast....not torquey....but fast.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1zero View Post
I'm going to sell my 2011 2LT/RS to get back into a truck, heh. PM me if you're interested.
lol I saw your post and was like oh snap. I'll pm you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloSS View Post
What will the lease payment be for a 1ss?
Over $400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
1. Leasing cars is nuts.
2. Why would you let your sister take over the Kia with all those problems?
3. The Mustang V6 is fast....not torquey....but fast.
1. Leasing cars is not nuts for people like me who drive less than 12k miles a year, and want to drive a nicer car for less than the cost of buying.
2. The cars problems have been dealt with, its covered under warranty.
3. Were talking about Camaro's here bruddah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
All I'm saying is that since you've had an SS an LT might end up feeling like a watered down experience to you. I would keep the Kia and live with it till the end of the lease. Save money on the side and when the lease is up you'll be in good place to get another, most likely even better, Camaro.
This is probably the route I will end up going. I've heard this voice of reason from another buddy who I talked to.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
PhoenixZL1
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'd hold off for the SS the V6 will not satisfy you over time. Too many people buy V6's and turn around and trade for an SS not even a year into owning the V6.
PhoenixZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Why not buy a used 10' SS? You already had one and know what it's all about and your coming back for more. I'd never get a car with a lease but that's just me.

I had a V6 LT but traded it after 2 months for a SS. The V6 was nice but i really wanted a V8 SS. Good luck to what ever you do. Even if you don't do anything you still have a nice car with the Optima.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixZL1 View Post
I'd hold off for the SS the V6 will not satisfy you over time. Too many people buy V6's and turn around and trade for an SS not even a year into owning the V6.
Me
Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
Why not buy a used 10' SS? You already had one and know what it's all about and your coming back for more. I'd never get a car with a lease but that's just me.

I had a V6 LT but traded it after 2 months for a SS. The V6 was nice but i really wanted a V8 SS. Good luck to what ever you do. Even if you don't do anything you still have a nice car with the Optima.
I thought about a used 2010 SS. they go anywhere from $24k-$27k with between 20,000 miles and 30,000 miles. I would have to do a big down payment ($5k plus) to get a halfway decent payment that I am satisfied with.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackknight View Post
I thought about a used 2010 SS. they go anywhere from $24k-$27k with between 20,000 miles and 30,000 miles. I would have to do a big down payment ($5k plus) to get a halfway decent payment that I am satisfied with.
If you have any plans on modding and want into a camaro I would say used.

If you want a SS with a warranty brand new They are offering 0% for 72 on new 2012's. Don't know what kind of payments that would be.

What about getting your sister getting out of the equinox and taking over your lease, buying a cheap car for cash, no car payments, save money for a few months, trade in cheap car plus cash down payment?
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Fiveg56

Quote:
1. Leasing cars is not nuts for people like me who drive less than 12k miles a year, and want to drive a nicer car for less than the cost of buying.
2. The cars problems have been dealt with, its covered under warranty.
3. Were talking about Camaro's here bruddah.
1. You are paying a lot of money for something that isn't yours...and at the end you have NOTHING to show for all those payments.

2. Your post didn't seem to say that....they replaced the crappy tires?

3. The very first post discusses the V6 Mustang.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
1. You are paying a lot of money for something that isn't yours...and at the end you have NOTHING to show for all those payments. But if you continue leasing...you dont have a 10 year old car that has depreciated in value to a fraction of what you bought it for.

2. Your post didn't seem to say that....they replaced the crappy tires?
Rebalance and rotate/realignment fixed drifting issues. Crappy = most oem tires

3. The very first post discusses the V6 Mustang. True, but im not looking at Mustangs.
See my responses in red.

I am going over to the dealer to see what they would buy the Equinox for and drive the 2LT/RS Camaro. If the V6 is what everyone says (pitiful) I already know what my decision is going to be tonight.

Ill report back later.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
Fiveg56

Quote:
See my responses in red.

I am going over to the dealer to see what they would buy the Equinox for and drive the 2LT/RS Camaro. If the V6 is what everyone says (pitiful) I already know what my decision is going to be tonight.

Ill report back later.
Good luck. Hope all works out.