Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
My thoughts on 2014 Z/28

When I first saw the refreshed 2014 SS, I was less than excited. The more I look at it, the more I like most of it. I am still not a fan of the tail lights but at least they aren't the Euro lights.

Once I saw the Z/28, I started liking the refresh more. I don't know if it was the color or the excitement of seeing the car we have been talking about for a long, long time and waiting for much longer. Even the tail lights look better. They stand out more against the white paint so maybe that helps.

First thing, good work GM on bringing back not only the Z/28 badge but, in my opinion, the spirit of the Z/28. The work done to the car far exceeded my expectations of what may have been the Z. I am still blown away by what the car is.

Second, it seems to me that the BOSS 302 was more or less a non factor in the design of the car. It may have been motivation to build it but this Z/28 seems destined to rival much more expensive and exotic cars. I look forward to see the next Lightning Lap or even the magazine comparisons. It will be exciting to see the cars our Z/28 will out run.

Lastly, my faith is fully restored in GM and what they will do to please the enthusiasts. This car is built to the extreme and will turn off most people but there are many, myself included who were drooling over it at the reveal as the stats were listed. I apologize to for my lack of faith.

It is a good day to be a car guy and more importantly a Camaro guy.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Drives: 1968 Camaro & 2010 Camaro 2SS
Well said...I could not agree more....

Kurt ABL99...
Old 03-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
When I first saw the refreshed 2014 SS, I was less than excited. The more I look at it, the more I like most of it. I am still not a fan of the tail lights but at least they aren't the Euro lights.

Once I saw the Z/28, I started liking the refresh more. I don't know if it was the color or the excitement of seeing the car we have been talking about for a long, long time and waiting for much longer. Even the tail lights look better. They stand out more against the white paint so maybe that helps.

First thing, good work GM on bringing back not only the Z/28 badge but, in my opinion, the spirit of the Z/28. The work done to the car far exceeded my expectations of what may have been the Z. I am still blown away by what the car is.

Second, it seems to me that the BOSS 302 was more or less a non factor in the design of the car. It may have been motivation to build it but this Z/28 seems destined to rival much more expensive and exotic cars. I look forward to see the next Lightning Lap or even the magazine comparisons. It will be exciting to see the cars our Z/28 will out run.

Lastly, my faith is fully restored in GM and what they will do to please the enthusiasts. This car is built to the extreme and will turn off most people but there are many, myself included who were drooling over it at the reveal as the stats were listed. I apologize to for my lack of faith.

It is a good day to be a car guy and more importantly a Camaro guy.
Great post ZBrother!
And I'll agree it is more than any of us would have guessed. Usually when I buy a car I mod it. This Z28 needs nothing.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Great post ZBrother!
And I'll agree it is more than any of us would have guessed. Usually when I buy a car I mod it. This Z28 needs nothing.
The only mods I would do are cam and headers which I can't do in California anyways.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The only mods I would do are cam and headers which I can't do in California anyways.
Not to mention this car is not carb legal in Cali....
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruuzin LV View Post
Not to mention this car is not carb legal in Cali....
In what way?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
I think things will spill over into next years (2015) that we are seeing now.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
You mean parts of the Z/28?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
This exact car will be built as a MY '15 car, also.

Gen-6 arrives as a MY '16, second half of CY '15...

Bhobbs, great thoughts, and I FULLY concur!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
This exact car will be built as a MY '15 car, also.

Gen-6 arrives as a MY '16, second half of CY '15...

Bhobbs, great thoughts, and I FULLY concur!
Seeing this car roll out was just mind blowing.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I'm in love with the Z28 too but for me it's just a dream car. I hope to see many of the guys that laid the groundwork driving around in one. Bhobbs, are you getting one?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Overall, I think GM missed the mark on the design of this car (Z/28), even with the intention of making it primarily a track car. Most previous Z's were street worthy cars (i.e. with daily immenities INCLUDED). Deleting things to make a car lighter, just doesn't sell cars. People want all the necessitites & comforts for everyday driving, along with the performance for the track, if you choose to do that (job well done on the current ZL1).

GM should not dictate how WE will drive this car, that's the owners choice, afterall, we're the ones putting out the BIG BUCKS!
Remember who your customers are, we're everyday people, NOT race car drivers!

To hear the Z is going to cost more than the ZL1 makes ABSOLUTELY no sense at all. I would soon buy the ZL1, before even considering the Z/28; after this debut, I would soon consider upgrading to a pre 2014 ZL1.

In conclusion, I hope that GM really steps back and considers these public reviews, takes them seriously, and makes better choices for the 6th Gen Camaro. If they screw up the 6th Gen design, we can kiss the Camaro name good-bye...this time FOREVER!
Just so you know, there are plenty of folks that disagree with EVERY point you made..... this car is perfect, times 1000

I'm not going to go into detail, you can read other threads to see how the hard-core Z/28 folks feel about it.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
I think people need to put into perspective what GM did with that Z28. Any way you slice it, the ZL-1 model already qualifies as the "daily driver" version of their hot-rod camaro, and the ZL-1 even comes in convertible form.

The Z28 right now to the Camaro, is what a Z06 is to a Corvette. And now it has a Z06 engine in it as well.

GM Clearly had it in mind to keep the 2014 some kind of "ultra-exclusive" car.

I think the people MOST upset would be the ZL-1 owners, because they have had this feeling of "ultra-exclusive" with their car, and now there is another Camaro that is even more "exclusive" than their car.

I personally am impressed they at LEAST gave you an option to have air-conditioning for the 2014 Z28. That is really the only thing you need.

I kind of like the fact that GM forces you to think MORE about your car, and focus on your driving, then blasting your stereo with 10 speakers. Or checking your emails, making phone calls, messing with your i-pod.

If you are driving a new Z28, you do not need to be multi-tasking in your car, or drinking a crappitinno.

I don't see anything wrong with how GM decided to release the Z28 model.

It's not supposed to be a chevy suberban. They were nice and put a backseat in the Z28 when they could have removed that completely to save weight.

I will add that if they truly wanted to lower the Z28 weight, they should have found even MORE places to lose the weight. (especially for that price).

1) GET RID of that long exhaust system. that should save 300 pounds right there. have the exhaust exit directly in front of the rear wheels.

2) How about carbon fiber front fenders. Wouldn't that help?

3) Aluminum radiator? Aluminum braces under the hood? Replace any steel brace with the equivalent strength lighter weight piece.

4) carbon fiber trunk lid perhaps.

5) Rear Spoiler delete - get that off there. that would save weight. I don't care if you say it makes down force, remove it.

6) I'm sure a few of the rear control arms could have been made aluminum instead of stamped steel. There may have been some weight savings there. Perhaps not.

7) Lighter weight hood.

They probably only reduced the weight, as much as they could without comprising the way the car would react in a crash. Changing body panels was probably not an option for that reason.

To me the car is fine. It is what it is. It even has coolers for the tranny and the rear end. That was very nice. I'm not sure why everyone is so upset with this car.

OH BY THE WAY isn't a *86,000 priced COPO CAMARO more expensive than a Z28? If so, they shouldn't be saying the 2014 Z28 is the highest priced model, because it is not....

Unless the Z28 is going to cost more than $ 86,000.00? I hope not.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
KSCamaro

Drives: Still Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
Unless the Z28 is going to cost more than $ 86,000.00? I hope not.

It's going to cost eleventy gazillion dollars.
It wasn't designed to drive on those 'road' things anyway, so don't even think about it !
KSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote