Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I see no room for a Z/28 while the 1LE is being offered. After all, they are basically the same thing. Track cars.

Maybe on the 6th Gen but I don't see it happening on the 5th Gen at all.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #16
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I kinda agree here as much as I hate to say it. But as long as there's a sixth gen Z I'll be happy!

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
IMO, GM totally fubar the names up. The current ZL1 should be the Z28 and they should produce a real ZL1 that dominates at the strip.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
Shouldn't it fall in between the SS and the V6 like it did in the 4th gen cars?

Perhaps offering the same motor as the SS, but fewer ammenities?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
I doubt it will appear on a 5th gen. Most likely just replace thee ss model for the 6th. Even the article suggests this.
The article suggests it will replace the SS Camaro when the SS sedan is launched which, I think, is a 2014 model. That would mean there would be a 5th gen Z/28.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #20
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows View Post

That's what the 1SS does.

I think it should have the MRS, a serious weight reduction and maybe a different motor.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #21
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The article suggests it will replace the SS Camaro when the SS sedan is launched which, I think, is a 2014 model. That would mean there would be a 5th gen Z/28.
That would mean it would either

A: just be a rebadged SS and nothing super special

or

B: if the SS is dropped and replaced by Z28 but the Z28 is the special car lots of folks here are hoping for, then the Camaro will be missing "regular" V-8 option car to compete with Mustang GT

or

C, the article is wrong and the SS wont get replaced, and the Z28 will slide inbetween 1LE and ZL1 like many here want it too
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #22
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
Where's it fit in the lineup?? Above or below the ZL1?

I'd think below but the 1LE kinda took that spot so I don't know where the thunder could be personally.

Just curious how the public receives it.....
Ivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
As much as it pain's me to say it... I kind of feel the same way. With the 1LE running so strong at the track is there room for another track star?
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I see no room for a Z/28 while the 1LE is being offered. After all, they are basically the same thing. Track cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows View Post

Dont say that in the Z28 subforum or they will chase with their pitch forks in an angry mob!!! hahahahaha

But I agree with you guys. I just dont see where in the 5th Gen the Z28 fits in. It has to perform better than the 1LE but not as good as the ZL1 bc IIRC the ZL1 is supposed to be the ultimate Camaro.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #23
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
If the Z28 stays true to it's racing roots, it won't have magnetic ride suspension OR a supercharged engine. The 1LE will be a stopgap until the Z28 can be done "properly".

One of the things that sucks about the ZL1 is that since it has magnetic ride suspension, it can't be used in any class of racing.

Z28 needs to have normal racing suspension, less weight, and a naturally aspirated engine that ensures a proper power to weight ratio. Not a gigantic engine shoehorned into an overweight pig either (i.e. 5th gen).
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #24
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post

or

B: if the SS is dropped and replaced by Z28 but the Z28 is the special car lots of folks here are hoping for, then the Camaro will be missing "regular" V-8 option car to compete with Mustang GT

or

C, the article is wrong and the SS wont get replaced, and the Z28 will slide inbetween 1LE and ZL1 like many here want it too
I agree. If the Z/28 is built like it should, there would be a huge price gap between the V6 and Z/28.

Im hoping it will be C but I'm thinking the Z/28 may turn out to be similar to the SS is now. That or like the 1LE and make it an add on to the SS.

GM doesn't have the engines available to compete with Ford. Especially now that the Gen V engine is coming out.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #25
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
They do this to get the royalties from the Models, Hot Wheels, and other licensed products... :emoticon7:
Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #26
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
I wrote it before, get the most expensive Camaro out first "ZL1" wait to the demand starts to ease off and

BAM...........................

Get the diehards waiting for the Z28 what they want.......................

After all , in the past the 1LE was could be optioned as a Z28.................Just sayin
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #27
bluebox

Drives: '12 1SS LS3 IBM/SIM
On another page at the same blog, they wrote: "Our sources tell us that the Z28 will make a return after the ZL1 makes its way to market. It will be a lighter, faster, and more nimble version of the ZL1 that’s the true Camaro range-topper." - 2/9/11
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2011/02/...ll-on-the-way/

IMHO or If I Were Al O. for a day:

If it becomes a "range-topper" price/feature-wise to the ZL1, then they can keep it (too $$$). Lighter/faster/more nimble to me = more expensive to build than ZL1, given the same platform (zeta/alpha), unless they come up with a killer NA mouse motor for it 302-style. Don't start talkin' V6, either, that ain't enough.

The spirit of the Z should remain an SS option, which the 1LE package fits. If they simply swap the 1LE label to Z28 for the 2016 alpha, so be it - as long as it is track-worthy.

Maybe the SS becomes higher range to including the LS7, and the Z28 gets a worked higher-horse version of the LS3... Then I'd buy it.

/IMHO

Edit:

Or, pretty much what he said :
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
If the Z28 stays true to it's racing roots, it won't have magnetic ride suspension OR a supercharged engine. The 1LE will be a stopgap until the Z28 can be done "properly".

One of the things that sucks about the ZL1 is that since it has magnetic ride suspension, it can't be used in any class of racing.

Z28 needs to have normal racing suspension, less weight, and a naturally aspirated engine that ensures a proper power to weight ratio. Not a gigantic engine shoehorned into an overweight pig either (i.e. 5th gen).

Now: Invo's on Nurburgs | Ext. Eng. catch can | heritage grille
Next: a few Pedders bits, tighten it up | better sways | drop coils, maybe | CAI, exhaust, JRE tune
Then I'm done, I swear.

bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #28
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post

or

or

I don't see the SS getting replaced.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote