Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 09-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
Spartan287

Drives: Nissan Frontier
Best investment?

Hey all, new member here! I've been reading these forums for a few months and decided to join up.

To get to the point: I've found a Camaro 2SS at 140K miles for a little over $13,000 and it has no wrecks and a clean title. I'm wanting a V8 for sure so I am leaning toward the SS, but I'm unsure if I should buy a low mileage one for around 20K, or buy this high mileage cheaper one and just replace things and keep good maintenance on it?

This is my dream car after all so I want to make it last, but I also don't want to miss one with the write color, engine, etc that I want. It is a 2010 so it doesn't have some features I want like a backup camera, but I'm totally willing to add those features over time.
Spartan287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Not to be a smarta&&, but best investments are stocks: Tesla a few months ago, Google in '97, and a hundred other blue chips that keep rising this year. Plenty of guys pounced on the Hellcats thinking they were going to be limited production. Then Dodge came out with the Demon, which was then followed by the Redeye. Just one example, but vehicle investments are a real crapshoot, even if it is kept as a garage queen.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
Spartan287

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Not to be a smarta&&, but best investments are stocks: Tesla a few months ago, Google in '97, and a hundred other blue chips that keep rising this year. Plenty of guys pounced on the Hellcats thinking they were going to be limited production. Then Dodge came out with the Demon, which was then followed by the Redeye. Just one example, but vehicle investments are a real crapshoot, even if it is kept as a garage queen.
Crazy enough I'm already invest in Tesla lmao. Investment might be the wrong word, how about this: if I get a $13k camaro and put a couple thousand into replacing most of it's components, would it be as good as buying a low mileage one for $20K?
Old 09-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
If you have the budget to get one lower miles with the options you want, I recommend waiting and continuing to search. If you list out exactly what you are looking for, someone on the forum may be able to link you to one.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
Spartan287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
If you have the budget to get one lower miles with the options you want, I recommend waiting and continuing to search. If you list out exactly what you are looking for, someone on the forum may be able to link you to one.
Understood, I'm even willing to have it shipped to me from as far as Virgina, being I'm in Florida. But test drives are ideal of course! I'll list some features in another reply. Another question is since I'm wanting a V8, should I even bother looking at the LT or LS or any other trims? ZL1 is out of my price range currently.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
If you want a V8, I would not look at the V6 LT and LS.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
In that case, I agree with Silver: stay away from the LT and LS, and get a low mileage SS or 2SS. 140k is getting up there in mileage...you have no idea of how it was driven or maintained for those miles.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
Spartan287

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
In that case, I agree with Silver: stay away from the LT and LS, and get a low mileage SS or 2SS. 140k is getting up there in mileage...you have no idea of how it was driven or maintained for those miles.
I figured that would be the case, are there some issues that are beyond saving if it were to have mechanical problems? Like I said that price difference leaves me a few grand to replace several things.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:49 AM   #9
2016scatpack

Drives: sdfgsgbfgbrgb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan287 View Post
I figured that would be the case, are there some issues that are beyond saving if it were to have mechanical problems? Like I said that price difference leaves me a few grand to replace several things.
if the engine spins a bearing..there goes your savings.....

on the flip side, you could spin a bearing with low miles.

I like buying high mile cars because of the savings, but 7k is not enough to justify the headache that sometimes comes with it. if you were saving 10 or 12k, maybe. also, im assuming you do the work yourself? You would pay a fortune in labor to replace little odds and ends.
2016scatpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #10
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
If you were looking at a Gen 1 or 2, I would say take the risk. If something goes sideways, you may be able to handle it yourself. Gen 3 & 4 are just ugly. However, if something goes wrong in a Gen 5, you better be really good with tools and computers or have a high limit on your credit card.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #11
Spartan287

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016scatpack View Post
if the engine spins a bearing..there goes your savings.....

on the flip side, you could spin a bearing with low miles.

I like buying high mile cars because of the savings, but 7k is not enough to justify the headache that sometimes comes with it. if you were saving 10 or 12k, maybe. also, im assuming you do the work yourself? You would pay a fortune in labor to replace little odds and ends.
My buddy either joined or started a car club locally and is really good at working on these types of cars, has 2 of his own (not Camaros necessarily) that he has worked on himself. I was clueless at what amount the savings would be worth it so that helps with perspective!
Old 09-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #12
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
if I get a $13k camaro and put a couple thousand into replacing most of it's components, would it be as good as buying a low mileage one for $20K?
a couple thousand is no where near replacing most of any car's components lol. that'll get you 4 tires and a couple maintenance services at best. i'd go with the low mileage vehicle if it's what you want. keep in mind most people don't baby these cars when they drive them
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:55 AM   #13
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Hey all, new member here! I've been reading these forums for a few months and decided to join up.

To get to the point: I've found a Camaro 2SS at 140K miles for a little over $13,000 and it has no wrecks and a clean title. I'm wanting a V8 for sure so I am leaning toward the SS, but I'm unsure if I should buy a low mileage one for around 20K, or buy this high mileage cheaper one and just replace things and keep good maintenance on it?

This is my dream car after all so I want to make it last, but I also don't want to miss one with the write color, engine, etc that I want. It is a 2010 so it doesn't have some features I want like a backup camera, but I'm totally willing to add those features over time.

Mileage should not be an issue if the car was well cared for. I bought a 2013 SS/RS that was loaded with every possible option for 18K and 75K miles. I drive it 5,000 miles per year so at some point any one who has the same car with say 50K miles on it but drives is 10,000 per year will catch up to me mileage wise within about 5 years. So someone who buys a 140K miles and does not drive it very much is a different person who buys a 140K miles car only to drive the piss out of it. I say get what makes you happy for the money you want to spend and ignore the miles if the car is a cream puff.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #14
RyangAsh

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Best investment is something you make money on, a Camaro isn't it
RyangAsh is offline   Reply With Quote