Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-29-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
kbear951

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
Help me choose which new HEADERS to get

So it’s looking like I’ll be replacing the lifters in my L99 this week at a minimum.

I’d like to make this shitty situation at least slightly more happy for myself by doing an upgrade of some sort.

I previously swapped out my stock mufflers with FloMaster Super 44s, and did an X-pipe and resonator delete………………………………….which made my car sound like a v6 with a suped up exhaust.

So now I’m thinking this may be a good time to upgrade my headers since they have to come off anyway. I personally like a deep, meaty, slightly raspy roar…..as opposed to my car sounding like a ricer every time on the downshift….so embarrassing! Overall it’s pretty quiet, but the sounds it does make are way to high pitch and not raspy enough for my liking.

All that said, I can’t have it too loud as I live in California and what’s more is the area I live in specifically, has pretty strict noise ordinances that they intermittently crack down on. I would like it a little louder though, but mostly just DEEEEEPER with a little raspiness.

Any suggestions?? I’ll see if I can find some videos to post that have the tone/sound I like. Problem is, I have no idea how loud they are in person, so I can’t just copy what they did. If only there was a way to try them all on first!
Old 11-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #2
kbear951

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
Which part of all the things these guys did, makes it have that uneven idle? I like that too!! And which parts cause the raspiness? Mods are in the description of first two videos and beginning of video on third.

*https://youtu.be/6hnM7odI7qo

https://youtu.be/QllkK33OA6U

https://youtu.be/pCA4qhMgTJ4

Last edited by kbear951; 11-29-2021 at 06:38 PM.
kbear951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:19 PM   #3
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
The “uneven idle” is from a cam upgrade.

Raspiness is usually from what you have after the headers.
Here’s mine on LT Stainless Power 1 7/8” headers with hfc to 2.5” Corsa catback.

Last edited by 0stones0; 12-01-2021 at 03:16 AM.
0stones0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:34 PM   #4
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear951 View Post
So it’s looking like I’ll be replacing the lifters in my L99 this week at a minimum.

I’d like to make this shitty situation at least slightly more happy for myself by doing an upgrade of some sort.

I previously swapped out my stock mufflers with FloMaster Super 44s, and did an X-pipe and resonator delete………………………………….which made my car sound like a v6 with a suped up exhaust.

So now I’m thinking this may be a good time to upgrade my headers since they have to come off anyway. I personally like a deep, meaty, slightly raspy roar…..as opposed to my car sounding like a ricer every time on the downshift….so embarrassing! Overall it’s pretty quiet, but the sounds it does make are way to high pitch and not raspy enough for my liking.

All that said, I can’t have it too loud as I live in California and what’s more is the area I live in specifically, has pretty strict noise ordinances that they intermittently crack down on. I would like it a little louder though, but mostly just DEEEEEPER with a little raspiness.

Any suggestions?? I’ll see if I can find some videos to post that have the tone/sound I like. Problem is, I have no idea how loud they are in person, so I can’t just copy what they did. If only there was a way to try them all on first!

First off I'm sorry you messed up Your Car
but comparing it to a V6 NOT COOL, Some of us on this forum have a V6 Camaro

And sayiing your Ricer V8 sounds like a V6 Wrong
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:35 PM   #5
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
The “uneven idle” is from a cam upgrade.

Raspiness is usually from what you have after the headers.
Here’s mine on LT Stainless Power 1 7/8” headers to 2.5” Corsa catback.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hfuc5YsldlM
Sounds Pretty Damn Good
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:38 PM   #6
Pkeen

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs, 2008 Avalanche
Just my opinion from personal experience , don't go to large on primary pipe size unless your planning to go wild with your build ! For example my 2010 ss/rs had 1 3/4" headers on stock engine , I installed 2" headers and it totally killed low end torque . Went back to the 1 3/4" , I then built a 416ci stroker with stock unported heads ,intake and Tb , And still running the 1 3/4" Dynoed out 515rwhp 500rwtq.
What I'm trying to say is too large for your build will hurt low end torque! I'll probably regret this as I'm sure there will be a lot of differences in opinion! But that's ok , best wishes on your build !
2010 Rally Yellow 2ss/rs , M6 ,416ci , K1 rods & crank,weisco -3.0cc dome pistons,.040 head gasket, 11.5 compression,1 3/4" LT ,3" pipes w/x-pipe no cats, Cam Motion cam 239/247 113+3 .621"/604" lift , BTR .660 Platinum dual springs w/Titanium retainers, CAI . Stock ls3 heads,intake,injectors & TB. 515rwhp/500rwtq.
Pkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:53 PM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkeen View Post
Just my opinion from personal experience , don't go to large on primary pipe size unless your planning to go wild with your build ! For example my 2010 ss/rs had 1 3/4" headers on stock engine , I installed 2" headers and it totally killed low end torque . Went back to the 1 3/4" , I then built a 416ci stroker with stock unported heads ,intake and Tb , And still running the 1 3/4" Dynoed out 515rwhp 500rwtq.
What I'm trying to say is too large for your build will hurt low end torque! I'll probably regret this as I'm sure there will be a lot of differences in opinion! But that's ok , best wishes on your build !
Are you sure it's not 1-7/8". Never heard of 1 3/4" on these cars but I could be wrong.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:55 AM   #8
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
The Made 1 3/4 - 1 7/8 and 2 ".
I would add a set of Stainless Power 1 7/8 headers with their Hi Flow cats. You can contact a tuner and get a Mail Order tune, Dyno Steve has been great to work with. Me Personally I really like the Stock NPP Exhaust set up I think it sounds great. I would Not use the Factory L99 exhaust at all. I think I would keep the Flow masters until after the headers and see what you think, It is easy to change The cat back part. The Idle you hear is because of the Cams, It can be added though a tune and increased or decreased as well. I am fairly new to Cars that require tuning as All of my older camaros were not tuned this way, I had to change jets and springs lol

I think since you live in Cali I would speak with a Performance shop there and see what you can get away with. I do believe I would update the cam and do the delete for the L99 , Like I said before I am not sure how much of a issue it is in real life or is it something that appears more common on the net. Also how long you plan on keeping the and the plans for your car as far as performance and use are important as well.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:08 PM   #9
L99MARO
#teamGPI

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
It'll be sorta hard to get headers if you live in Cali, I know a person in texas, that's the only way I was able to get them, but I'd recommend Texas speed headers, I have Spintech mufflers, love how they sound, old muscle car tone without being too raspy or tinny, I also have a cam which will also change the tone too
https://youtube.com/shorts/MCZcMnPJT7A?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/J2ezg1hYqtw?feature=share
L99MARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:15 PM   #10
SS_Dave

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Stainless Works or Texas Speed for quality without breaking the bank. Kooks or American Racing if you don't care about the cost. 1 7/8" and high flow cats regardless. Later, when you find the Flowmaster is pissing you off, swap for a Corsa Sport so as not too loud and no drone.
SS_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #11
Pkeen

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs, 2008 Avalanche
Sounds great L99maro !
2010 Rally Yellow 2ss/rs , M6 ,416ci , K1 rods & crank,weisco -3.0cc dome pistons,.040 head gasket, 11.5 compression,1 3/4" LT ,3" pipes w/x-pipe no cats, Cam Motion cam 239/247 113+3 .621"/604" lift , BTR .660 Platinum dual springs w/Titanium retainers, CAI . Stock ls3 heads,intake,injectors & TB. 515rwhp/500rwtq.
Pkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:12 PM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Long tube headers are illegal in California and most manufacturers won’t ship them there. Shorty headers are kind of a waste of money. Good luck with the lifter failure, but even more good luck with living in California.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote