Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-30-2021, 11:45 PM   #1
sstock6.2

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Camshaft install issue

I have a 2013 SS Auto and just finished a stage 2 TSP cam install and a ls3 conversion. I also have a maggy 2300 supercharger. I got the car fired up with only one code for the DOD, because it's being deleted with the tune when I get it. The car was smoking at the first start, which was expected, but continued smoking for the few minutes it ran. The smoke was white and was watery, not like oil. Any ideas on what the issue could be? I also checked my catch can and there was some sludge and some white/brown colored fluid mixed with the blowby in there. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
sstock6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:05 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Dude really? I wouldn't even try and start it without a tune. Your probably really hurting your engine.
GPI SS1 Camshaft with vvt, GM Performance racing lifters, CHE trunnion upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly pushrods, Pac Polished .660 valve springs, Melling 10355HV oil pump, Cold Air Inductions cai, TSP 1 7/8" longtubes with 3" exhaust, true cool 40k tranny cooler
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:42 AM   #3
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
If it had a sweet smell, check your coolant for signs of oil contamination and check your oil for coolant contamination. It will look like chocolate milk if it's bad enough.

You should then do a leak down test to make sure you don't have a head gasket issue.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Daily Driven, 796 WHP 645 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 10lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.75 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:00 AM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Sounds like you've got coolant and oil mixing. You can do a pressure test on the cooling system to confirm, but that's typically a head gasket issue.

You won't hurt the engine by firing it up without a tune. It won't have enough idle speed and it'll have airflow settings that will not make it real happy, but as a first fire up to check for leaks and put a heat cycle on it, no worries. These are a closed loop fueling system, and the ECU will happily adjust the fueling, and the factory spark timing is plenty safe. Just don't go making a wide open throttle hits - that's where the fueling drops into open loop and will be way off (and potentially dangerously lean).

Last edited by acammer; 12-01-2021 at 11:18 AM.
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:15 AM   #5
1LE_ROLL

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
I drove my car to heat cycle it multiple times after my cam install and then drove it to get a tune. No issues at all. Definitely something else going on. Did you clean out the engine good with brake clean and change the oil before start up?
Old 12-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
barkeater46

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Ditto above ! Burning anti freeze has a weird sweet smell from the exhaust. There is always the taste test - just a touch of moisture from a finger to the tip of the tongue will be instantly sweet - that's ethylene glycol. Nothing else(fuel, gasoline ,oil etc. ) tastes sweet.
barkeater46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:25 PM   #7
Silverado60

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS M6
My car did the exact same thing after the cam install. I had the engine opened up a few days trying to track down the correct oil pump so I figured the oil drew moisture and possibly got a little water out of the block down in the oil pan since it’s basically wide open with the timing cover off (even with rags covering the hole)
After a good heat up on the dyno it went away
I have vids of my first start up. But not sure how to load on here.
If your worried it’s more than that I’d do an oil change, get an antifreeze sample, see how they look then go from there.
Also my tuner said I could drive it to his shop but it would want to stall at every trafffic light so I hauled it to him.
My current idle tune isn’t much different from stock so I can’t see you hurting anything
Texas speed F-35 cam, rollmaster timing set, melling hp pump, ls2 chain damper, fluid damper 25% under drive, Che rocker bushings, tsp .660 lift valve springs, BBK CAI Amzoil filter with Phastek ww relocation and scoop, Gmpp axle back, Speed engineering 1 7/8" LT's no cats, Peak speed shop ported tb, NGK tr6, MSD wires, Amsoil Zrod wix, heritage grill, 1.25" BMR springs, MRR 228, Nitto Nt05,dyno tuned by complete street performance, elite eng catch can, clean side separator, Hurst shifter, Zl1 addon wickerbill
Silverado60 is offline   Reply With Quote