Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-31-2015, 03:02 PM   #29
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
can you explain the scenario of the turn that caused the incident? Did you overcook it? Snap oversteer? Thanks...I thought the explanation may prevent others from a similar issue.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #30
pmili75

Drives: 2015 Z/28 AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
can you explain the scenario of the turn that caused the incident? Did you overcook it? Snap oversteer? Thanks...I thought the explanation may prevent others from a similar issue.

It was at Thompson Speedway I put a link to a video of the track not my video.

http://youtu.be/cZZL_5qQsqc

My Camaro impacted concrete wall right where the blue sign with the white box on the left side of the video at 1:10. It say "Subway 24 hours" obviously I had been skiding awhile as I fought to save it.

I'll call it snap oversteer. The turn is significantly off camber and you have just transitioned from nice new asphalt paved in 2014 to the old ass beat speedway surface. I had begun feeding in throttle and back end walk around on me. The reason it caught me off guard was I was well past the apex and should have been able to bury my foot in it by then.

I still feel the need to bullshit myself and say I had to have hit some oil. It just went around so fast.

I used to track a FFR Cobra with 400+ Hp it weighed 2040 lbs and sat in my garage at night thinking of ways to kill me. I never had a bone head moment in that car.

Any way if I end up with the car I will send the black box out for a data dump and we will all get to see something really cool. Apparently it will print out ~150 pages of sensor data from the crash.
pmili75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:36 PM   #31
MikosV6
Account Suspended

Drives: '15 Camaro 1LS/M6
Even though you had track insurance to cover unfortunate senarios such as this, will this accident affect your premiums on your other street vehicles?
MikosV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:50 PM   #32
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Damn...
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:53 PM   #33
pmili75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikosV6 View Post
Even though you had track insurance to cover unfortunate senarios such as this, will this accident affect your premiums on your other street vehicles?
No this didn't happen as far as my street policy is concerned. No police or accident reports on race tracks.

Spoke to my street agent just to see if there was any way they would cover since it was a non competitive, drivers education event. We both read all the coverage exclusions and together we felt no chance they would cover.

He did tell me if I wanted to consult a lawyer the lawyer might twist their arm in to covering it but since I paid for the track coverage no reason to rock the boat. The only difference was my street policy has a 1000 deductible and the track policy has a 6000 deductible. I opted for paying the extra 5000 and not have my rates go up or the possibility of being dropped. So it was never reported to my street insurance company, just a hypothetical conversation between me and my agent.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:58 PM   #34

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
You may not have to "buy the car back"....If it is declared a total loss, it's still your option to repair it with what they give you for a settlement, but you will have to re-register it as a salvage on a new title if you plan to drive it on the street. This is what happened with a totaled truck of mine. I was actually surprised I could keep it.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #35
rodknee
amidst a mid-life crisis

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmili75 View Post
Anyone have any experience with salvage values????..
I'm figuring 20-30k
not an apples to apples comparison, but i bought a car back from insurance once before. payout was 20k, salvage value was 3k. received a check for 17k, i kept the car.

imho, with the price drop of these things being in the mid 50's, a 30k buyout is not worth it. i would say it would have to be in the teens (including your deductible) to justify it.

Quote:
Any way if I end up with the car I will send the black box out for a data dump and we will all get to see something really cool. Apparently it will print out ~150 pages of sensor data from the crash.
in that case, i hope it works out and you keep it. i would love to see that data...
rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #36
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
Sorry for the loss. I'm glad you are ok. Definitely try to buy it back you will have no problems selling the drive train, suspension, wheels, etc.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #37
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Remember that everything can be negotiated. I had a brand new Land Rover burn up due to a battery problem and negotiated the deal until I actually ended up getting more than I paid for it. Their first offer is always skewed in their favor. If you part it- I'm not that far away and would love that hood.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #38
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Man that sucks but glad your ok and like offer said cars can be replaced not dads moms sons or daughters.

Would be interested in the cats.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #39
super60
Built with Pride "Oshawa"

Drives: 2011 Chev Silverado Z71 Crew
So sad to see ..... Rest in Peace Oshawa Built Z/28 May parts of you find a new home with other 5thgens or even a Gen 1 .

Its always tough for me to see these pictures

Mike Judge
Super60

In Memory of Dawson Ellert .
super60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #40
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
well said... very well said
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #41
pmili75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 HLR View Post
We rarely talk about the amount of engineering involved in making sure the occupants are kept safe. Pmili75 walked away and his demeanor about the whole experience is awesome as he can joke about the whole thing!
Excellent point.

I would like to share two additional factors that I think helped in the accident.

Neck collar:

As a matter of practice I never put a helmet on with out a neck collar. I have been looking in to a R3 because you are supposed to be able to use them with a standard seat and belts, I haven't had the time to try one out to get the proper size. Helmets, even good ones add mass to your head do yourself a favor and at least put on a collar.

Preloaded Seat Belt:

Maybe most people do this I'm not sure why I started. It's possible just because my C6 Z06 seat didn't hold me in very well.

I get comfortable buckle my belt, then pull it all the way out until it stops (this puts the belt in locking mode). and then let it retract. Next I push my back as hard as can against the seat and Im glued to it. Same principle is used when you put a child seat in a car without the latch system.

I know seat belts lock in an accident and under heavy braking but this feels better to me. I always remember when I got my comp license at Frank Hawley drag racing school the guy telling me if the belts don't feel like there cutting you in half there not tight enough.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #42
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Quote:
I have been looking in to a R3
yes they work with regular 3 point belts. I use one....BUT...I and many people have searched for actual sled test data on these and it doesn't exist. If you know of any please provide the link. There is sled data on HANS even on youtube. This leads me to wonder about the effectiveness of this device BUT I do believe it can't be worse so I continue to use it.