Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Check Engine Light Help!

So my fiancée took our English bulldogs to the vet this morning, which is about 45 min away from home, and she calls me saying the car stopped, she possibly ran out of gas, and the check engine light is on.( she not really good at checking to see about the gas being in the car). So long story short, she managed to get someone to stop and get 1 gallon of gas, and made it to the gas station for more gas, but now the check engine light is still on. Is it common for the check engine light to come on for no gas? What issues can occur? Did she probably cause damage to the vehicle? If she drives it, will the check engine light go off eventually, cause she says the camaro is working fine now?
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
well since you have a v6, no matter what kind if gas she put in it, she didn't hurt anything because if that.....and you are going to have to take it in to get the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT reset, regardless of what made it come on, so they should read the code and see why it came on.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
I have read on here that letting these cars run out of gas is not good, it does something (damage) to the fuel pump. I'm sure the more knowledgeable will chime in.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Smileybgh

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Crystal Red Tintcoat
Why no gas? Is the gauge not reading properly and is that why she ran out of gas? If the gauge is not reading properly due to a fuel sending unit in the fuel tank, it could cause a CEL too. Best would be to have the CEL checked to have a starting point on diagnostics.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Kadet1

Drives: Camaro SIM
I had my check engine light come on once. It was because the gas cap wasn't put on properly. Take the cap off put it back on again and start the car and the light should be off. My wife has a Pontiac and has the same thing happens if you don't click the cap at least three times the light comes on. You may have to get the light reset but I'm sure there is no damage.
Kadet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadet1 View Post
I had my check engine light come on once. It was because the gas cap wasn't put on properly. Take the cap off put it back on again and start the car and the light should be off. My wife has a Pontiac and has the same thing happens if you don't click the cap at least three times the light comes on. You may have to get the light reset but I'm sure there is no damage.
This was my first thought also.

And as I always say in these types of threads - everyone should get a cheap ODBII reader to read & clear their own codes. Else have access to one at a part store like Advance Auto where they will read/clear for free.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Texas_RS

She told me the gas light was not on when it stopped, I would have went out there to help out but I'm currently at work which is about 1 1/2 hours or more outside of where she stopped. She is taking it to the dealership when she gets back, we have an extended warranty.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
Kadet1

Drives: Camaro SIM
My neighbor has a code reader and reset it for me. It has been 10000 miles so far and hasn't come back on yet and I don't fill up until my low fuel light comes on which I'm sure is a bad habit. I was also told putting in some bad gas can cause the light to come on.
Kadet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
BlueSteele

Drives: 2010 Camaro
It could be any variety of things. If your Onstar service is still active, they can remote diagnose it for you.

Maybe an engine stall (P1599)
Maybe a misfire (P030x, x indicating the cylinder that misfired)
Maybe a multiple misfire (P0300)
Maybe a P0171 or P0174 (system lean bank 1 or 2)
Or it may be some kind of EVAP vacuum issue?

Regardless, you should have it checked out. It is more than likely not threatening to the Camaro and whoever checks it out can clear it or if you continue to drive it for at least 30 miles the light should clear itself if everything is ok.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Texas_RS

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll let y'all know what the issue/ solution is once it's at the dealership. Just didnt want her driving it all the way home if it may cause more issues, but so far it's driving fine
Old 03-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
If you have On Star, give them a call, tell them you have a check eng light and have them do a diagnostics.
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
I have ran out of gas once, no check engine light came on.
And fuel pump is fine what was about 20,000 miles ago.
In a V8 tho.

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
This was my first thought also.

And as I always say in these types of threads - everyone should get a cheap ODBII reader to read & clear their own codes. Else have access to one at a part store like Advance Auto where they will read/clear for free.
In CA (Nanny state from HELL!), it USED to be that one could drop into AutoZone or Kragen whenever a CEL popped on... they'd scan it, then ya buy your parts, ya fix the problem. But... mechanics rallied the CA legislature to make this illegal here (mechanics were "losing business" to all of the chumps out there who "fix their own cars!")... and now, parts stores can no longer provide this service! No big loss, as it motivated my to drop a $hunski$ on a decent OBD scanner, which has turned out to be one of the best shade- tree- mechanic investments I ever made.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #14

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
In CA (Nanny state from HELL!), it USED to be that one could drop into AutoZone or Kragen whenever a CEL popped on... they'd scan it, then ya buy your parts, ya fix the problem. But... mechanics rallied the CA legislature to make this illegal here (mechanics were "losing business" to all of the chumps out there who "fix their own cars!")... and now, parts stores can no longer provide this service! No big loss, as it motivated my to drop a $hunski$ on a decent OBD scanner, which has turned out to be one of the best shade- tree- mechanic investments I ever made.
If the car is running fine, no worries...a cel takes a while to "learn" to come on, and a while to "learn" to go off...

....Mine has come on twice, both because of just the gas cap...Even our fabulous owner's manual says the majority of the time the cel comes on is due to the gas cap....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote