Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
N954

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Smile Help: I'm ignorant about suspension

As the title says...I'm ignorant.

I have a 2012 2LT w/ RS package, so big fat 20 inch wheels, staggered.

I'm looking to improve: Body roll & handling bumps in the road. I want less roll in corners, and a more planted feel. For the bumps, I feel everything in the road (completely expected) But it is very violent / rougher than another v6 I rode in.

The mileage is 71000 miles currently. All suspension is stock.

I searched a bunch but found a ton of short hand that I didn't understand. Does anyone have a good writeup?

Thanks!
N954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by N954 View Post
As the title says...I'm ignorant.

I have a 2012 2LT w/ RS package, so big fat 20 inch wheels, staggered.

I'm looking to improve: Body roll & handling bumps in the road. I want less roll in corners, and a more planted feel. For the bumps, I feel everything in the road (completely expected) But it is very violent / rougher than another v6 I rode in.

The mileage is 71000 miles currently. All suspension is stock.

I searched a bunch but found a ton of short hand that I didn't understand. Does anyone have a good writeup?

Thanks!

The RS wheels/tires with their short sidewalls and heavy weight will make the bumps and potholes feel worse. But, they are great for handling!

My first step was a Pedder's package that is inserts for the front radius rod and rear cradles bushings. Before that I always felt the rear was sloppy.
I had a street performance alignment done after installing those. See the stickys at the top of this sub-forum for those specs.

Together I have quicker turn-in and more stability under braking.

A stiffer rear sway will reduce roll and transfer more force to the wider back tires to reduce the understeer built in to these cars.
If you have a manual in your V6 you have a limited slip differential. That can get you into some trouble when inducing oversteer. Most of the aftermarket sways are adjustable so you can adjust them to fit your driving style.

If you feel you have excessive bounce you should check your shocks for any signs of oil. Since you already feel the ride is rough you may want to stick with stock. SS shocks are probably a bit stiffer, 1LE shocks even more, etc...
Old 02-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Also get a set of newer 2012+ ZL1 2013+ SS LCAs and Toe rods and go wider rear bar but you'll need a Brembo set up.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:34 PM   #4
N954

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
The RS wheels/tires with their short sidewalls and heavy weight will make the bumps and potholes feel worse. But, they are great for handling!

My first step was a Pedder's package that is inserts for the front radius rod and rear cradles bushings. Before that I always felt the rear was sloppy.
I had a street performance alignment done after installing those. See the stickys at the top of this sub-forum for those specs.

Together I have quicker turn-in and more stability under braking.

A stiffer rear sway will reduce roll and transfer more force to the wider back tires to reduce the understeer built in to these cars.
If you have a manual in your V6 you have a limited slip differential. That can get you into some trouble when inducing oversteer. Most of the aftermarket sways are adjustable so you can adjust them to fit your driving style.

If you feel you have excessive bounce you should check your shocks for any signs of oil. Since you already feel the ride is rough you may want to stick with stock. SS shocks are probably a bit stiffer, 1LE shocks even more, etc...
This is super helpful, thanks! I'll definitely look into the bushings. For the sway bar, any recommendations? I have the auto so I have that lovely open differential one wheel peel in it, no LSD here.
N954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:06 AM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by N954 View Post
This is super helpful, thanks! I'll definitely look into the bushings. For the sway bar, any recommendations? I have the auto so I have that lovely open differential one wheel peel in it, no LSD here.
a lot of people improved their suspensions right off the bat. Better Sway bars is a huge help in body roll, and you will feel this immediately. Also look to improve traction and grip with upgraded toe rods and trailing arms. BMR products are very solid and have had them on my car for 18 years. I do track my car and they handle the abuse.

I think those things will get you started in the right direction.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Sway bars and springs help a lot more than you think.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote