Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
JKiss45

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
winter wheels/tires needed, Oho '15 1LE

Hey guys, I'm looking for a set of wheels for winter tires, or wheels with winter tires already on them. Need to be 19" or 20" to fit the brakes. Let me know what you've got!
JKiss45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:42 AM   #2
firedruish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKiss45 View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for a set of wheels for winter tires, or wheels with winter tires already on them. Need to be 19" or 20" to fit the brakes. Let me know what you've got!
Check out the 1le forum and also talk to Rudy at tire rack. I run the nitto nt90w on my 2014 2ss and they are awesome. Good savings compared to the blizzak, and they do great. Nitto has a great warranty stagger set or not. If not nitto then pay the money for the blizzaks. Others will say pirelli.....been there...tried and never again.

Gm has said that I could run the 245 45 20s all the way around on my 2ss, but I stick with the staggered fitment. I believe the 1le has larger tires.

Driven in south western Co winters everyday! Good luck
Old 08-26-2015, 02:05 AM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Blizzaks will run you some serious money but they are best bang for the buck as you get what you pay for. Been driving my camaro year round for near 4 yrs. now and only last year got actual winter tires why i hadn't before with the new england winters i ask myself what i was thinking everytime. Not the same car and i use the Firestone Winterforce with studs but i've seen a few blizzaks on the road in the snow in my area and they do great i have seen pirelli aswell and asked a few camaro owners and they are way to hard in the near sub-zero temps and take way to long to warm up.

So +1 to blizzaks not sure on the Nitto's never asked anyone or seen them in my area.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
JKiss45

Thanks for the input! I was thinking Blizzaks, just need a cheap set of used SS wheels to slap them on, or a full set already applied. Worst case I just go through tire rack and have to buck up some extra $$$. Glad to hear from two people who drive daily in the winter and survived, especially NE and Colorado. Tells me it can be done. haha
Old 08-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
I always thought "winter wheels" meant park the Camaro in the garage from November to March and get a beat up lifted S-10
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Hey so I bought gently used Pirelli Scorpion snow and ice tires on stock OEM Rims for $1000 on craigslist, they work awesome!...keep looking there and hopefully youll find some.

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
TIREKLR

Drives: 2015 zl1
My winter tires cost about 50k........because there bolted on my crew cab! No way the Camaro is seeing winter weather ohio throws salt down like they get an award for every dump truck emptied!
TIREKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREKLR View Post
My winter tires cost about 50k........because there bolted on my crew cab! No way the Camaro is seeing winter weather ohio throws salt down like they get an award for every dump truck emptied!
You should spend a winter up here in the snow belt area one year.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
JKiss45

This thread is looking for winter wheels and tires, not opinions about driving the car in the winter.... I bought the car to drive, not to be a garage queen. I heavily considered the harsh Ohio winters when I purchased it.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
jcsws6

Drives: 15 Green Flash SS
I'm researching the same thing. I baught my car to drive so it will see snow this winter. I already have a garage queen who spends the winter covered in the corner of the garage.

Had a buddy a few years ago daily driving a 2010 SS in Fairbanks Alaska! Had snow tires and never let him down.

All weather mats a must have though!
jcsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #11
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIREKLR View Post
No way the Camaro is seeing winter weather ohio throws salt down like they get an award for every dump truck emptied!
I chuckled quite a bit when I read this, because it is so very true!
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #12
Devon
Highway Man

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
You guys have no idea about winter and salt down there.... That being said, I run Michelin x-Ice tires in a 225 section on 18" Touren rims for the winter. Total cost of the package was about $5k, and most of that was the wheels. Never had a problem even in the harshest of conditions. And we have some pretty damn harsh conditions. I'd suggest narrower tires than what you can put on stock width rims because you'll get more dig and bite (along with a taller sidewall on 18's as opposed to 19's or 20's for improved ride quality over ruts), and a lot less float and slide.

Roto-Fab Intake
Tuned by dynosteve @ RDP
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #13
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKiss45 View Post
I bought a set of Factory Reproduction wheels and Perilli Sottozeros for winter use.

The GM engineers used Sottozeros on the ZL1 test mules during the winter prior to it's official release in 2012. These are the tire they recommend for cold weather use on the ZL1. I suspect they'll also work well on the 1LE.

This will be my 3rd winter the Sotozeros. They're great in cold weather on dry roads. I've driven my car only once in the snow and even with the Sottozeros I wouldn't call it a pleasant experience. Overall I'm very happy with the Sottos but they're not a cheap option.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #14
Hilflos

Drives: 2015 1SS / RS NPP
Currently going through the same exercise here. Driving from Dayton to Cincy and back daily.

My debate is good all season vs. something more solidly winter oriented. Either way they'll only be on the car for the cold weather months.

My current thinking is a solid set of all seasons, like Continental DWS on my stock rims. I've run the Contis on a couple cars now, and they do admirably in a couple inches of snow. When it snows heavily, I'll just work from home that day. Fortunately, I have that luxury.

Alternately, I'm thinking about something like Nokians or the Pirelli Sottozeros. I think Blizzaks, Scorpions, or the like will be overkill for southern Ohio Winters. We don't get heavy snow too often, and my understanding is that driving them over asphalt will wear them down pretty quickly.

Either way, I plan on putting them on the stock rims, and then, come Spring, buying some aftermarket rims, warm weather tires and then just swapping sets out as the seasons change. When I go on road trips, one of the stock 8inch wide wheels can go in the trunk as a spare.

If any of that seems poorly thought out, feel free to correct me.
Hilflos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le forum, daily driver, tires, wheels for sale, winter wheels and tires