Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
OIL PUMP ISSUES, OIL IN THE BRAKE BOOSTER

ANY ONE HEARD OF THIS RARE CONDITION? BRAKE HISS NOISE, AIR LEAK (BOOSTER NOISE) CAN BE HEARD INSIDE THE CAR. WITH IN A DAY OR TWO NOTICED BRAKE PEDAL GETS HARD AND FINALLY NO BOOSTER ACTION AT ALL, HARD PEDAL ALL THE TIME. LAST YOU GET A BRAKE ASSIST WARNING AND FINALLY A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. PULLED CODES, IST CODE, LEAN ON BANK ONE, AND 2ND CODE LEAN ON BANK 2.

TOOK CAR TO DEALER,DEALER FINDS BOOSTER HALF FULL OF OIL, CAR HAS ONLY 500 MILE'S ,IS A 2016 CAR. SERVICE DEPT RESEARCH THE BRAKE HISS NOISE AND HARD PEDAL, THEY COME UP WITH A TSB # 17-NA-21.

THE FIX IS REPLACE ENGINE OIL PUMP, REPLACE VAC HOSE TO BOOSTER AND REPLACE BOOSTER. DEALER HAS NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE AND THEY ARE A HIGH VOLUMN DEALER. I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG WITH THE OIL PUMP.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
is that a 4, 6, or 8?
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
The dealer is saying that there is oil somehow getting into the brake booster through a vacuum line?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #4
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
is that a 4, 6, or 8?
3.6 v6
Old 06-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #5
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
The dealer is saying that there is oil somehow getting into the brake booster through a vacuum line?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
THATS CORRECT, THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS OIL IS GETTING INTO THE INTAKE NEAR THE BOOSTER VAC LINE CONNECTION AND OIL GETS INTO THE BOOSTER. I ASSUME IT HAS TO BE A PRESSURE ISSUE WITH THE PUMP AND IT MUST BLOW THRU SOME SORT OF SEAL IN THE INTAKE. THE OIL PUMP IS THE FAILED / DEFECTIVE/ PART MAKES TO MUCH PRESSURE??, WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE DOING WRONG?
Old 06-09-2017, 06:12 AM   #6
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
THATS CORRECT, THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS OIL IS GETTING INTO THE INTAKE NEAR THE BOOSTER VAC LINE CONNECTION AND OIL GETS INTO THE BOOSTER. I ASSUME IT HAS TO BE A PRESSURE ISSUE WITH THE PUMP AND IT MUST BLOW THRU SOME SORT OF SEAL IN THE INTAKE. THE OIL PUMP IS THE FAILED / DEFECTIVE/ PART MAKES TO MUCH PRESSURE??, WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE DOING WRONG?
Turn off the damn caps key . Jesus.

So are they fixing your car under the TSB? Which I would assume they are ,plus your car is under warranty . This should have been posted in the GEN 6 forum. The Gen 5'S use either LLT or LFX engine not the LGX like your car uses.

I'm going to assume that this has happened enough that they created a TSB about it which your car falls under.

I'm not trying to be an ass. But I don't understand what your trying to get at here .
Old 06-10-2017, 12:05 AM   #7
DokWatson
Dok

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
Can you post the actual TSB? Google didn't show anything. I want to know how the hell an oil pump puts oil into the brake booster.
DokWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Turn off the damn caps key . Jesus.

So are they fixing your car under the TSB? Which I would assume they are ,plus your car is under warranty . This should have been posted in the GEN 6 forum. The Gen 5'S use either LLT or LFX engine not the LGX like your car uses.

I'm going to assume that this has happened enough that they created a TSB about it which your car falls under.

I'm not trying to be an ass. But I don't understand what your trying to get at here .
Just trying to inform people on the 6th gen V6, and to see just how uncommon this is. Of course the car was fixed at a dealer and was a warrantee claim . Got a new 17 cruze for a loaner, I was treated well.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #9
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DokWatson View Post
Can you post the actual TSB? Google didn't show anything. I want to know how the hell an oil pump puts oil into the brake booster.
I could not find any thing either, dealer says they were not able to print it out for me. I will attach what I have.

Last edited by lt4camaro; 02-03-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
I could not find any thing either, dealer says they were not able to print it out for me. I will attach what I have.
I don't get it . How does changing the oil pump fix the problem? Glad you got it fixed. Hope you also posted this in the Gen6 section.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I don't get it . How does changing the oil pump fix the problem? Glad you got it fixed. Hope you also posted this in the Gen6 section.
I'd imagine there's a diverter valve in the pump assembly that when not working properly sends pressurized oil up the vac line. 22 hour repair- not fun.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote