Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
ss_redrum

Drives: 2013 LS3 Camaro
Angry Fire in cigarette lighter?

So this happened today. I was driving over a bridge in my town and I tried to plug in my radar detector and next thing I know a small flame is coming out the lighter... My radar detector plug came apart and part of it melted inside. Could there be any damage to the cigarette socket? Anyway to check its functionality?

-Previous Setup- Texas Speed 1 7/8 LT Headers, no cats, xpipe, muffler delete, K&N Cold Air Intake, tuned by DynoSteve

Youtube |Instagram
ss_redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaTheMaro View Post
So this happened today. I was driving over a bridge in my town and I tried to plug in my radar detector and next thing I know a small flame is coming out the lighter... My radar detector plug came apart and part of it melted inside. Could there be any damage to the cigarette socket? Anyway to check its functionality?
remove center console trim where the lighter port is, check for damage or shorts. couldve been the radar detector cable too. if it shorted or failed.
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Didn't the fuse pop? Mine is the same way. What ever notches or clips are supposed to hold it in are worn out or broken I think. I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. But it still works fine.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaTheMaro View Post
Maybe it's just me, but WTF made you want to plug something into the power port while bouncing over a bridge?
My choice would have been to slow to the legal limit. Until you have a chance to stop and plug something in properly.

It is highly unlikely that you have a cigarette lighter outlet unless you or the previous owner installed it yourself or had a Chevy dealer do it.
The cigarette lighter outlet is different than the power point outlet, and so are the wires.

And yes, if your radar detector plug failed and melted in the power point because you were were bouncing around the outlet is probably toast.

Chevy was kind enough to use 20 amp fuses but also smart enough to use a fusible link to the power point which hopefully failed and prevented your Camaro from becoming a car-be-que.

As stated by Leo72793 it is easy to remove the trim. If you really want the 20 amp lighter outlet you can find the Smoker's Package on line. It includes a new socket, wiring that can take 20 amps, and a bezel that eliminates the flip up cover.

The pansy power point is shallower than the lighter outlet but I haven't had any issues plugging adapters into the deeper lighter socket. YMMV.
You can replace the power point outlet with another power point outlet and still keep the doorless bezel if it matters to you. I think they call it an iPowerPoint if you have a mephone.

Here isn't where I bought mine, but a current link:
http://www.pfyc.com/CA2027.html
Old 08-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
With and without a lighter.
Name:  IMG_4060.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  247.6 KB
Attached Images

Tags
cigarette lighter