Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #29
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELM2010 View Post
Yeah baby!

People of this mindset may want to go research the GM4718M specification. The specification was created because the Camaro(SS models) and Corvette DO NOT have oil coolers and the oil temperatures that are created by these engines will destroy conventional oils. The GM4718M spec. prevents them from having to put an oil cooler on their performance vehicles.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #30
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
I was using Amsoil Dominator in my other car for awhile..
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rd30.aspx

ive used Royal Purple, redline, Mobile 1.. i don't notice a difference.. they all synthenic. I just use Dominator cuz read article once saying how good it did on a test.. and my car need best oil i can get.. it goes through turbo spinng at 70K rpms and seeing 1700 degrees..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #31
cardsfan09

Drives: SS/RS 6M, '98 Z71 p/u
read your manuals folks, both V-8s need 8 qts of GM4718 grade oil, not GM6094 grade advised for use in the V-6. Read the oil labels carefully to see what grade the oil is regardless if its Mobil 1, RP, Castrol, Valveline or whichever synthetic oil. Most of the 5w-30's oils are 6094 not 4718 as is required for all SS models, read and choose your oil carefully. The warranty guru's might get you if you use the wrong type of oil after they tear down your blown up engine when they find out you used the cheap crap trying to save a few bucks. You didn't worry about dropping almost 40 grand on your car, why scrimp on oil. Also use AC PF48 oil filter.
cardsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #32
CTS

Drives: 2021 Sierra Denali 6.2L/10sp CC 4WD
Royal Purple can not back up their claims.

Read this and see if you still think you want to use it. It tested no better than Castrol.

Truth in Advertising

Excerpt..
Quote:
NAD recommended that Royal Purple discontinue its use of consumer testimonials reporting specific performance attributes in the absence of reliable independent evidence showing performance capability.

“Anecdotal evidence based solely on the experiences of individual consumers is insufficient to support product efficacy claims, including claims related to horsepower, torque, fuel economy or engine heat,” the organization stated. “While the advertiser may quote from published articles if it provides clear and conspicuous attribution to the publisher, it may not rely on such articles to support efficacy claims for which it has no reliable independent validation.”
CTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #33
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Thats why I stick to Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum.

Gimmicks and hype.

Who wouldn't claim their engine did this and that after dumping $9 a quart on any motor oil.

Truth is within independent oil analysis.

Thus, I prefer what I read within those analysis. If I could run German Castrol 0w30 in my Camaro, I would. Better than any Mobil1 or PP.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #34
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Hey Michael, did you change the trans and diff to Royal Purple yet? You can loosen the clamps at the axle and near the muffler on the Zoomer's and twist the pipe around just enough to get at the drain plug for the diff. Use Max Gear 75w90 for the diff, and Synchromax for the trans. What a difference it makes!
No, my plans are to do it next Friday. I wasn't planning on changing the trans oil yet. I'll reread the post about how much and what oil to use.

Thanks,
Michael J.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #35
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Snake oil. Stick with the factory fill. Mobil1
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #36
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Snake oil. Stick with the factory fill. Mobil1
I see Royal Purple as the Zaino of oil. Overpriced and overhyped.

$10.00/qt of 5W/30?
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #37
Wyld Irish

Drives: CGM 2010 SS/RS Manual
OK ... here is something to remember. There are some undisclosed behind the scenes deals that happen between companies. So lets say company A sells motor oil, and company B sells motors.

If company A offers company B a discount on their oil so long as company B is willing to tell their customers that company A's oil was "recommended" by them. Then there is a good chance this deal happens.

Now .. the manufacturer isn't going to recommend something that is 'bad' for their product. But thats not the same as recommending something thats the 'best' for their product.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #38
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyld Irish View Post
Now .. the manufacturer isn't going to recommend something that is 'bad' for their product. But thats not the same as recommending something thats the 'best' for their product.
All the more reason for German Castrol 0w or Redline!
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Old 11-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #39
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Quote:
Where do you see that? It was $8.99 a quart at Autozone where I bought it. Is that expensive? Not to me, I just bought a $35,000 car so $75 for oil to protect that investment is NOT a big deal.

Overhyped? If the guys racing swear by it, then I would not call that "overhyped". Your engines seizes up, you don't finish the race, you don't win any money. They're not about to use the product if it doesn't deliver.
Well the guy that's racing and wins normally showcases the product that sponsors him while he's in the winners circle.

Just cuz he prostitutes himself out to the highest bidder doesn't make the product any better than a name brand oil such as Penzoil or Mobil 1.

I usually find auto stores offering discounts on name brand oil where I can get $30 for oil and a filter.

But if Royal Purple is your placebo go for it.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #40
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

There is a difference between driving a car and racing a car....

Some of these upper tier lubricants are for the most part overkill for a general use, sometimes seeing 6k redline.

I personally will stick to a top tier group III or IV base stock synthetic and filter. When someone shows me indisputable unbiased proof that Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple is better than Mobil1, Pennzoil Platinum, German Castrol cost for cost, additive per additive, benefit for benefit.

Oil is just like performance....why spend $15,000 for a Magnuson at Lingenfelter for another 150 HP if you never use it? These top tier lubes are specifically processed for high stress purposes. If it makes you all warm and fuzzy spending $5 more a quart for these lubes, so be it. I myself have over 700k on PP and M1 and GC and have had 0 issues with any/all of the three and with Blackstone Labs analysis to back up the wear and performance of all 3.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:15 AM   #41
anthonybyram

Drives: 1972 Z28, torch red,454
Yea, but Ferrari recommends Quakerstate.
anthonybyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #42
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
I'm proud of ya man, stick to your guns! I've used RP for years, love the performance and since I've actually used it, and actually put it in my Camaro, I can tell you there is a difference, but don't take a risk and try it for one oil change; stlck to what you feel safe with.
Hey Doc,
You're right man....Royal Purple is super-duper oil, has all the great lubricating properties you could ever look for, has a great reputation, and they sponsor many race teams, it's truly great stuff I'm sure.
However, there's just one little thing missing......ROYAL PURPLE DOES NOT HAVE THE GM-4718M CERTIFICATION. It says right in the owners manual that any damage sustained while using anything other than GM-4718M certified oil may NOT be covered under warranty!!!! Why would anyone in their right mind want to jeopardize their powertrain warranty??? I suppose if you have already done modifications that have already voided the warranty, then it's no big deal to use whatever. But I think a majority of us still have and cherish our warranties. So, use the RP stuff all you want, but common sense tells me to use Mobil 1, or any other oil that has the certification. Just leave it at that, if you want to say it's great stuff, that's fine. But trying to defend an oil that could void our warranty doesn't make much sense to me. Sorry man, don't mean to "dog" you out or anything, just saying my opinion. To each his own I guess.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote