Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #15
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
The paint on the bumpers is fine - it's the paint on the fenders, doors, and roof that is wrong.

-Mark.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #16
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
This says it all.
BTW, where is the first Camaro5 member who has a car and has taken it back for warranty repair? I can only recall one post so far. What are you guys being told. This constant speculation over photos is getting tiresome.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 AM   #17
aberg

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
EVERY car I've looked at matches if you stand directly over the two panels. It only looks different when you look from an angle where the light reflects differently. This same phenomena happens across the hood in the photos as well, but you don't notice it. I am sure this is why it is passing any color match test, because the colors match.

But please be correct and quit calling this the bumper. It is the fascia. The bumper is a large beam that runs side to side under the fascia and adds structure to your cars.

Sorry, it's just my pet peeve. You guys can continue the debate, just do so correctly.

From my experience with Corvette, the process outlined is pretty close except the body panels installed in the body shop are painted at Bowling Green. Electrostatic primer is applied to those parts. Fascias, I believe come in painted just like the Camaro.

Painted in the dark is meaningless comment, even though they may LOOK like it. The parts go through inspection and color match is one of those inspections. I would also suggest that the suppliers do a color check prior to parts being shipped to Oshawa. So, although I can't state as fact, I have to believe the parts are matching in the current inspections.

Also, as the rear fascia is painted the same way with the same paint as the front, why do they match? Because the angle is different in the photos. I can't say for sure, but it is very likely the front and rear fascias come from the same supplier using the same process. That would be interesting to confirm. Because no one concerned about rear fascia mismatch.

BTW, where is the first Camaro5 member who has a car and has taken it back for warranty repair? I can only recall one post so far. What are you guys being told. This constant speculation over photos is getting tiresome.
I think this is right. It seems to be the angles on the car. Any color I looked at depending on the angle I was looking at it. Even black looks off at certain angles. The worst I've seen is the grey. At some angles the door looks like a totally different color, but if you get up to it straight on you can see it is the same.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #18
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
You don't need to use bold like that it's yelling.

Paint chip problem would mean they are changing paints like I said. They don't change paints.

Can they use more toned down lame paints like Ford and Toyota do? Yea... get rid of IOM, ABM, RJT and IBM. That's not gonna happen. And are they picking the wrong paint per the RPO? I don't see how that's possible.

The Poly has been on Camaro's since 78 it was never EPDM on Fbody.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #19
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
EVERY car I've looked at matches if you stand directly over the two panels. It only looks different when you look from an angle where the light reflects differently. This same phenomena happens across the hood in the photos as well, but you don't notice it. I am sure this is why it is passing any color match test, because the colors match.

But please be correct and quit calling this the bumper. It is the fascia. The bumper is a large beam that runs side to side under the fascia and adds structure to your cars.

Sorry, it's just my pet peeve. You guys can continue the debate, just do so correctly.

From my experience with Corvette, the process outlined is pretty close except the body panels installed in the body shop are painted at Bowling Green. Electrostatic primer is applied to those parts. Fascias, I believe come in painted just like the Camaro.

Painted in the dark is meaningless comment, even though they may LOOK like it. The parts go through inspection and color match is one of those inspections. I would also suggest that the suppliers do a color check prior to parts being shipped to Oshawa. So, although I can't state as fact, I have to believe the parts are matching in the current inspections.

Also, as the rear fascia is painted the same way with the same paint as the front, why do they match? Because the angle is different in the photos. I can't say for sure, but it is very likely the front and rear fascias come from the same supplier using the same process. That would be interesting to confirm. Because no one concerned about rear fascia mismatch.

As valued member to our community I’d like to thank you for your input and contribution, that being said every time there’s a thread about this subject you come out like a watchdog and quiet everything down and reassure people it's the angle or the light and such. I can tell you that that may be the case with some it's not the case in all. I've seen it in person and my eyes don't lie. Now does that mean every car is off or every FASCIA is bad ofcourse not.
People here are merely trying to get this issue resolved for our sake and that of GM's. I'm personally don't like to repaint anything. From experience there are almost always problems down the line when you have something repainted. So I much rather GM get it right and so would the buyer who is paying full price for their car. Scratch that even if i didn’t, most people here are paying MSRP or above so maybe they have a right to critic the car. Thank you again NUMBER 3 that's my opinion so treat it as such.

Last edited by fireresq157; 06-14-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #20
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Can we try some primer at least? You could change paints all day and nothing would change. We have a base material and prep issue. Not a paint issue the paint and the spray are perfect. The raw materials are not being prepped with proper primer.

When painting you have to consider not just paint but the surface because paint inherits the characteristics. If I walked up to a tree and shot it with IOM it would not look like a camaro front bumper piece. It would look like a tree.

That's why the steel looks like painted steel. And the poly looks like painted poly. Because the paint is not sitting on top of a color neutral primer coat. So you have two inherited textures instead of one. Both have different light relection and refraction qualities.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #21
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
My paint looks off, especially on the mirrors. The front and rear "bumpers" (haha Number 3) is off looking slightly. The mirrors are off enough to add a nice contrast and I actually like it alot after I got over the initial shock. Go to home depot or Lowes and get several gallons of paint. They will tell you to mix them all together even though they were computer mixed. It stands to reason that on any give paint batch that something may be slightly off. If you have ever seen paint mixed then you know that it doesn't take much at all to change the color of a gallon. I say lighting bedamned, it doesn't match and I'll still drive this car the rest of my life. Happy IOM and mostly IOM driver.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #22
rays
V6 - It just isn't normal

Drives: 2010 2LT M6, F250 7.3L Diesel
I did hope we wouldnt be debating the existance of an issue

Number 3,
Over the years a bumper has evolved into being more a part of the front end of the car.
I don't like to call it a Fascia because to me that implies just the front facing surface.
As far as the angle comments go I have seen where that is not true. The picture I took illustrates this, you can check out my thread "dont park next to anybody"
The painted in the dark is not meaningless. Obviously its not painted in the dark. He was just expressing that he thinks there is a problem. His opinion was highly valued by GM back in the day. If I had a nickel for every time he was flown to Detroit just for his advice on a MFG problem I wouldn't have to work myself.
Yes, I have not noticed an issue with the rear "Fascia" but it does not have a top surface which follows the line of the car(in the same plane) like the front "Fascia". This is why i asked specifically about the front and not the rear. There could be a problem with the rear as well. I don't know. I haven't seen or noticed it as of yet. I have noticed the front issue with my own eyes.
Your happy with your car. That's great. There are plenty of people who don't have the issue, don't notice, don't care, think its cool or whatever. Ignore this thread if this is you. I'm not trying to convince everybody who doesn't believe there is an issue otherwise. Many think there is and so do I.

Vash, The EPDM comment was just a history comment. They havent used that in many years. I don't know when they stopped. I'd have to ask.

I will give GM the benefit of the doubt and say they are working to resolve or have already resolved the issue.
The fact that they have not chimed in concerns me a little. Its not a safety issue so they don't have to fix it. They may just fix the ones people complain about. I don't want that. You can't duplicate the quality of factory paint (at least application wise, eh hum)

Were paying full price MSRP or above we want full quality especially since in my case for RJT and IOM (only recently) it costs 325 extra just to get the color. I hope mine comes in without an issue. I'll have it inspected

2LT RS M6 RJT Black leather
4/29/2009 Ordered
6/24 6000 Delivered

Last edited by rays; 06-14-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #23
BadSS

Drives: 08 GMC
I couldn't say where the issue of the paint difference comes from, GM, outside manufacture or lighting. I can say that thousands of these cars have been manufactured and every one of them are being looked at on a daily basis under varying lighting conditions and only a few are complaining, I would have to say the issue is a paint problem and not a lighting issue.

Of course it could be that everybody has the "problem" but only a few are bringing the issue up which would indicate lighting/angle and not the paint which means it's not a "problem" that needs addressed.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #24
rays
V6 - It just isn't normal

Drives: 2010 2LT M6, F250 7.3L Diesel
Oh, Gm if your listening my order is NJXJ30. Please make sure it matches before you bolt on that Bumper Fascia. Thanks.

2LT RS M6 RJT Black leather
4/29/2009 Ordered
6/24 6000 Delivered
Old 06-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #25
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Rays,

First of all, I appologize if I discounted your father's opinion. We are missing a lot of experience in the industry that was provided by men and women like your father that knew their stuff.

Second, I am waiting for someone to start a thread with Bumper as the title just to get my goat. As I've said in many posts, it's my pet peeve. I know and everyone knows what you mean when you say bumper.

Third, we just bought my wife a new Malibu. SIM. In the right light (wrong light), the colors are off. Just a bit but they are off. Unless you are painting a car in the same booth with the same paint, they will never, NEVER, be exactly the same.

My need to defend here is when someone implies, infers, suggests, or hints that GM doesn't know what it's doing. I stongly jump to the defense of GM when that happens. And I strongly defend the men and women at Oshawa busting tail to get you great Camaros.

Anyone NOT happy with the paint match is covered under warranty. In fact if your car exhibits anything like what is often suggested here at Camaro5 you shouldn't sign the paper work. It is just amazing how someone will post 10 pictures of an IOM car and a couple in the odd light show a mismatch and this fire starts up again. Doesn't matter how perfect it looked in the other 10 photos.

You are the customer and you should be completely happy with your 2010 Camaro, as many members are. If you aren't, your dealer should resolve your concerns.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #26
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
the .zip file is corrupt.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #27
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireresq157 View Post
As valued member to our community I’d like to thank you for your input and contribution, that being said every time there’s a thread about this subject you come out like a watchdog and quiet everything down and reassure people it's the angle or the light and such. I can tell you that that may be the case with some it's not the case in all. I've seen it in person and my eyes don't lie. Now does that mean every car is off or every FASCIA is bad ofcourse not.
Wouldn't you reply defensively if you worked for GM? Number 3 is also a very valued member of the Camaro5 community. He shared a lot of info about the cars when he was driving CTF cars, including Thor. If you don't know about Thor, you need to go back and do some research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
You don't need to use bold like that it's yelling.

C'mon Vash, he only emphasized one word.

Quote:
Rays,

My need to defend here is when someone implies, infers, suggests, or hints that GM doesn't know what it's doing. I stongly jump to the defense of GM when that happens. And I strongly defend the men and women at Oshawa busting tail to get you great Camaros.
Anyone NOT happy with the paint match is covered under warranty. In fact if your car exhibits anything like what is often suggested here at Camaro5 you shouldn't sign the paper work. It is just amazing how someone will post 10 pictures of an IOM car and a couple in the odd light show a mismatch and this fire starts up again. Doesn't matter how perfect it looked in the other 10 photos.

You are the customer and you should be completely happy with your 2010 Camaro, as many members are. If you aren't, your dealer should resolve your concerns.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #28
hiway61revisted

Drives: 2010 Camaro & 2000 Silverado
Quote:
Rays,

Number3 why do you always have to tell us that the folks up in Oshawa Canada, are working their butts off ? What does that have to do with anything? From the pictures I have seen, I don't buy it. I believe they are working hard and putting in a good days work but you make it sound like they are digging a ditch in the mid day sun. Oh I also loved your solution, let the dealer handle it.

Closed Thread