Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Draining/ gurgling noise after car has been turned off

Today after driving to work I noticed that when I parked and turned the car off there seemed to be a draining/ bubbling/ gurgling noise coming out from what sounded like the dash. It seemed to be coming from within or behind the steering wheel and dash board.

The sound was faint but it was definitely something draining? This seems to happen every time I start and turn the car off and lasts about 5 minutes or so. It sounds like some kind of liquid or something moving around.

I drive a 2011 automatic v6.

I tried doing a search but have found nothing so far similar to this. Anyone know what it could be?
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Is the air conditioning on?
I thought it could have been this too but no it is off all the way.

This seems to happen every time. There is no mechanical noise or anything just sounds like a bunch of liquid draining or running through something. It starts loud enough to hear and over the course of 5 minutes or so it starts to slow down and basically trickle out. Checked under the car, no leaks or anything.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Make sure your coolant is topped off. It could be the heater core draining back to the radiator.
I will check once the car cools down, just went to listen to the noise again and to go for a small ride. That would be a good possibility, sounds plausible.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Is the windshield defroster on? That can activate the A/C compressor. Or check to see if the compressor clutch is engaged while the engine is running.

The only other fluid in the dash that I can think of is the heater core. Maybe an air pocket or something that you hear the coolant moving around inside the heater core?
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Man, I thought I was crazy at first, but when I had my 2012 V6, it did the exact same thing. It did it every day, so I figured it was just part of the cooling down process. Since I've purchased my SS, I haven't heard it even once. I had my V6 for a year, and never had a problem out of it, so I would say it's probably normal. I'm sure some other guys on here might have better insight on the mechanical possibilities, though.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:24 AM   #6
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post
I thought it could have been this too but no it is off all the way.

This seems to happen every time. There is no mechanical noise or anything just sounds like a bunch of liquid draining or running through something. It starts loud enough to hear and over the course of 5 minutes or so it starts to slow down and basically trickle out. Checked under the car, no leaks or anything.

I'm not clear on this response. Are you saying that the A/C compressor was definitely not on before shutting down the engine each time you hear this gurgling sound or it wasn't on while you were hearing it. Because the symptom sounds just like what refrigerant would sound like as the high and low sides balance out through the evaporator expansion valve after being shut off.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
suzook

Drives: camaro
Mine has been doing the same thing since new. Year and a half later no issues. Not sure what it is. Does sound like coolant pressure.