Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-31-2017, 03:29 PM   #43
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Rear mount turbo setup

I chose to keep the oiling system for the turbo in the back since I wanted to isolate the oil; however, with the fuel system and charge pipe running back up, we were running out of convenient room anyway.

TurboSmart sponsored a pair of their ProGate wastegates to jump off the hot side. I'm really impressed with these so far!

For oiling we have twin TurboWerx pumps, a sump, Setrab thermostat controlled cooler, and a few other little tricks back there.

Last edited by WEAPON-X; 01-06-2018 at 08:52 AM.
WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #44
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
PURE SEX.
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #45
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
I'm not a straight line guy, but what you guys are doing is nothing short of spectacular.

The build planning, forging, porting, welding/plumbing and fabrication are absolutely immaculate....BRAVO!

Old 01-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #46
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
I'm not a straight line guy, but what you guys are doing is nothing short of spectacular.

The build planning, forging, porting, welding/plumbing and fabrication are absolutely immaculate....BRAVO!

soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:37 AM   #47
ReevZL1

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 A10

I want to hear this Beast run!
ReevZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #48
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Getting there!! Anxious to see what time it puts down.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #49
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Yeah. I'm in love with those Welds in the rear...and everything else Watching...and waiting.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:37 PM   #50
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Need more pics of that wang setup. I mean, wing setup!
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #51
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Absolutely incredible work you guys do! Is this thing still going to be street legal when you're done? The chute looks removable so the only thing I can think of that might prevent it would be an emissions test.

I'd love to see this beautiful beast square off with a COPO. Maybe they'll take some cues from your designs to improve the next model.

Thanks for providing so much detail on this build!
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #52
WEAPON-X

Haha thanks everyone, she's alive and well and will remain street legal! We have a couple of things left to button up and she'll be on the dyno later this month! I'll get the start up videos uploaded soon... the BANG on start up scared the hell out of the entire block LOL more on that later

Last edited by WEAPON-X; 01-06-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:34 PM   #53
WEAPON-X

Smile Thermodynamics 101 - School is in session

The question was posed earlier how we were going to run nearly 30 lbs of boost and keep it cool pushing through the supercharger. I'm an engineer with extensive studies in Thermodynamics as well as ergonomics, so I've always enjoyed this part. As a result, WEAPON-X has been extremely well known for our heat exchanger systems, primarily in the CTS V community and while the ZL1 shared the same engine and we had some great ZL1 clients 4-5 years ago, we were a boutique shop mostly catering to the CTS V world as that's what I drove and what we focused on. Our heat exchangers, radiators, and other cooling products were all over.

Here are some of our latest products for the gen 6 Camaro including the heat exchangers, trunk tank kit, and I need to add the new radiator we're testing now too:
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/colle...ro-lt4-cooling

Some of you guys might have seen me weighing in on the cooling questions in another thread with respect to heat exchangers and boost. I'll summarize some of that here, but I can tell you that despite the ZL1 having vastly improved cooling from the gen 5 LSA model, it is still challenged since the smaller 1.7L supercharger spins nearly 22% faster! Heat is a byproduct of the air being compressed by the rotor lobes, so the faster you're spinning the supercharger, the more heat is forced into the cylinder walls with the pressured air AKA boost. Boost is nothing more than a measurement of restriction too, so boost does not always indicate power especially on a supercharged car.

So, the harder you spin the already high strung Eaton 1750, or strap on a big boy Whipple pushing 24psi at 920whp on our Mustang dyno, heat soak can come on fast but even in stock form, you can throw the ZL1 on the dyno and do three back to back pulls and the power falls off exponentially by the last pull. Simply put, the OEM HX system can't keep up even in OEM form, but this was no different than the LSA ZL1 or CTS V too and while they've improved the cooling on the gen 6 with all of the heat exchangers, you also have to realize that you have trans cooler heat coming through the HX and all of that heat goes through the radiator along with the AC condenser heat. With our larger side HX, more of this heat is exhausted through the wheel wells. The passenger side ties into the radiator and the driver side ties into the center HX system and all of these are taken into account when tuning by the GM calculated MAT value which replaced the true IAT2 sensor from the gen 4 logic. So, this just doesn't benefit the supercharger, but also the engine temps!

The "cores being thicker is bad" myth is only an issue if the manufacturer doesn't know what they're doing. It's a balancing act between core thickness, fin density, and the horizontal tubing inside of them, and we even dimple the tubing on some models to create more turbulence going through the unit to pickup more heat. We've increased the core thickness and adjusted the fin density for more free air flow. The total system capacity of the fluid is increased over 150% with the added fluid in the exchange zone, so you have more fluid before getting heat soaked and more fluid in the critical area to shell the heat. It's all a balancing act with fluid speed, BTU capacity, and the external heat put into the system based on the ambient air temp and the rate at which the air is compressed. I can assure you that your car will make more power more consistently with these, even in stock form!

So with that out of the way, I'll unveil the insane cooling system we have put together!
Old 01-06-2018, 12:14 AM   #54
Mma6483

Drives: 2017 Zl1
Amazing build!! What times do you think it'll put down!!?
Mma6483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:24 AM   #55
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
Haha thanks everyone, she's alive and well and will remain street legal!
What is your definition of "Street Legal"?
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:52 AM   #56
WEAPON-X

Too COOL for school!

When setting this up, we have been pretty excited about the car because this is basically taking into account ALL of the top secret little projects we've been working on and I've saved the best two for last. The first being the cooling system and the second being our WEAPON-X SPI port injected fuel system!
We now have working on the LT4 stock supercharger, the 2.9L Whipple, and also the Procharger manifolds, for 1,500+ whp on E85 without the need for the meth kits which don't have even cylinder distribution, expensive DI injectors, costly high side pumps, the cam lobe lift, etc. The gains alone on this vs. 93 octane and 45gph of methanol spraying at 22psi was just insane.
It will all be one kit tank to tip for a targeted price under $5k including the controller and plug and play wiring harness! More on that later

Back to the cooling So, we have 3 heat sources, starting with the supercharger which will be over-spun to compress the air to feed the rear mount turbo to get it going, and then let it take over and push through the supercharger again, and then finally the engine underneath creating radiant heat, and of course, you have the radiant heat from the hot side running by the cold side as well.

So to combat the radiant heat on the pipes, we will ultimately have everything ceramic coated, but for now we stopped mid way back till we have the back end finalized with the choice of turbo. So, up front we have:
  1. Custom Air to Water Intercooler box
  2. Custom Air to Water Intercooler bricks inside the supercharger
  3. WEAPON-X Heat Exchanger Kit
  4. and the belle of the ball... the soon to be released WEAPON-X Chiller kits!

1. Starting with the custom air to water intercooler brick, it was time to make a complex box!

Time to put a v-band clamp on the nice NW 103 Throttle Body and you can see our custom WEAPON-X Griptec Eaton LT4 pulley in the background that I had made in the OEM 2.5" size to ensure the belt hangs on tight, but we offer them all the way to 15% and we also make the Griptec for the Whipple and Griptec pulleys for Prochargers!

Here is a great shot of the TurboSmart Race Port BOVs that were sponsored and info on them!

Tags
performance mods, pulley upgrade, tuning, turbo, upgrade