Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Tired of my raspy exhaust. Whats quietest, best flowing 3 inch?

I think my car sounds like shit. 2inch Texas Speed Long tube headers, 3 inch collector (with flanges welded on), connected to custom 3 inch piping, 3 inch X pipe, and 3 inch magnaflows. It's raspy and farty. I know where ever I go from here, I will lose some flow, but I'd rather have it sound deeper and less raspy and sacrifice a few HP. Plus the supercharger will help with that.

I'm looking for a replacement 3 inch muffler that I can swap the Magnaflows for , and possibly add a couple high flow cats.

Any suggestions on a quieter/deeper sounding muffler that is 3in/out and will fit right near the rear Tips?

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
gmcvt

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
I think my car sounds like shit. 2inch Texas Speed Long tube headers, 3 inch collector (with flanges welded on), connected to custom 3 inch piping, 3 inch X pipe, and 3 inch magnaflows. It's raspy and farty. I know where ever I go from here, I will lose some flow, but I'd rather have it sound deeper and less raspy and sacrifice a few HP. Plus the supercharger will help with that.

I'm looking for a replacement 3 inch muffler that I can swap the Magnaflows for , and possibly add a couple high flow cats.

Any suggestions on a quieter/deeper sounding muffler that is 3in/out and will fit right near the rear Tips?
Resonated x-pipe works wonders I believe. I have the magnaflow but its 2.5.
2018 Mustang GT A10 Kooks Lt's, E85 & Lund tune*SOLD*
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Silver- CAI, Bo-body, VRSP-2 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 Lt's w/cats, Magnaflow street CB(15089), QTP ovals, Elite can, Vengeance Racing tune. *SOLD*
gmcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
WheelMan69

Drives: 2015 SS/A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
Yea I have the same thing, its the only dam restriction I have LTs on my car and my car went from being really loud and raspy to being quiet and not that loud...I really don't like it...I got it mainly to quiet down the AFM on my car because it sounds really bad when it switched over but now that I have a tune and the AFM is gone its back to straight pipe and non-catted X-pipe!!!

My neighbors are going to love me!!!

*VMAX Throttle Body
*Speed-Engineering Headers / No Cats
*Catted Magnaflow X-Pipe
*BMR Toe Rods
*BMR Xtreme Ant-Roll Kit
*BMR Trailing Arms
*CAI Cold Air Intake
*TUNED BY JAY @ KRAFTSWORKS EXCELL
WheelMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If your system has no resonators... there's one reason it's raspy. Resonators are tuned to knock down the highs.

If going supercharged, I wouldn't want cats. OE's can build in all their fancy tuning and cat protection modes.... Aftermarket and modified s/c... with cats any high load and long duration WOT use like track days will melt the cats and possibly damage the engine with debris.

This is just what I would do if S/C... no cats. Add 3" bullets in the center after the X. Like these:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Schoe...ong,66297.html

Those are designed to knock down just the high notes, and leave the deep. Dynomax, SLP... also have some nice resonators. I have those Schoenfelds on a and old stock car for tracks with DB rules, they thunder but knock out the ear piercing and objectionable highs.

If there is room, will have to measure. Might have to stagger them. The SS LS3 stock bullet resonators work great too, but you would have to neck down to 2 1/2.

I'd see how that sounds with some resonators/bullets, leaving the rest for now. Still like crap...change mufflers. I love the thundering deep sound of ARH mufflers.

https://americanracingheaders.com/co...factory-system

I absolutely loved the way those sounded on a car I had with LT's but they drone just a bit in 6th. Cracking the windows help.

If sensative to drone... the factory NPP are hard to beat. Sounds incredible open, quieter flaps closed... no drone either way.

My current car is LT's and NPP. I love it, loud and deep, zero drone. On a '10 that I had back in '10 I had that ARH system. Probably my favorite sounding system. Absolute awesome thunder....just a little drawback of not perfectly drone free. I had Corsa system once...couldn't sell it fast enough... raspy raspy yuck.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #5
Rob Russell

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
I have a Bassani 2.5” on my car with 1&7/8 LT, hi flos, x pipe. Quiet, deep, muscle tone. When I really want it to scream I’ll just open the cutouts and go. Love my setup. May check their website and see if they have a 3” to offer. Can’t remember last time I was on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
If your system has no resonators... there's one reason it's raspy. Resonators are tuned to knock down the highs.

If going supercharged, I wouldn't want cats. OE's can build in all their fancy tuning and cat protection modes.... Aftermarket and modified s/c... with cats any high load and long duration WOT use like track days will melt the cats and possibly damage the engine with debris.

This is just what I would do if S/C... no cats. Add 3" bullets in the center after the X. Like these:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Schoe...ong,66297.html

Those are designed to knock down just the high notes, and leave the deep. Dynomax, SLP... also have some nice resonators. I have those Schoenfelds on a and old stock car for tracks with DB rules, they thunder but knock out the ear piercing and objectionable highs.

If there is room, will have to measure. Might have to stagger them. The SS LS3 stock bullet resonators work great too, but you would have to neck down to 2 1/2.

I'd see how that sounds with some resonators/bullets, leaving the rest for now. Still like crap...change mufflers. I love the thundering deep sound of ARH mufflers.

https://americanracingheaders.com/co...factory-system

I absolutely loved the way those sounded on a car I had with LT's but they drone just a bit in 6th. Cracking the windows help.

If sensative to drone... the factory NPP are hard to beat. Sounds incredible open, quieter flaps closed... no drone either way.

My current car is LT's and NPP. I love it, loud and deep, zero drone. On a '10 that I had back in '10 I had that ARH system. Probably my favorite sounding system. Absolute awesome thunder....just a little drawback of not perfectly drone free. I had Corsa system once...couldn't sell it fast enough... raspy raspy yuck.
Great recommendation. Ill start with resonators after the X. Its cheap enough that it wont piss me off if it doesnt work out. Cant see it hurting

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:46 AM   #7
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
I have the 40 series mufflers and have the same issue. I used to have a SLP Loud Mouth 2 mufflers, those weren't too bad. Have high flow cats and true X-Pipe.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
you can get a 3" version of it. part number 12599

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12599

it is larger than the 11386
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #9
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I don't know about quieter, but if you want deeper 3" exhaust sound Stainless Works Retro Chambered Exhaust for a nice deep old school muscle car sound. However, if you want to remove rasp I'd recommend some high flow cats.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #10
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
I don't know about quieter, but if you want deeper 3" exhaust sound Stainless Works Retro Chambered Exhaust for a nice deep old school muscle car sound. However, if you want to remove rasp I'd recommend some high flow cats.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #11
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
thats the first time ive heard anyone complaining about magnaflow mufflers having "rasp"

but anyways checkout vibrant performance resonators or the SLP shotgun resonators. they'll help you

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #12
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
oh how i wish GHL was still in business. Their corvette exhaust was the best ive ever heard an LS engine use!

I would have gotten the corvette catback just to get the bullets and use them on my car

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #13
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
I have a Bassani 2.5” on my car with 1&7/8 LT, hi flos, x pipe. Quiet, deep, muscle tone. When I really want it to scream I’ll just open the cutouts and go. Love my setup. May check their website and see if they have a 3” to offer. Can’t remember last time I was on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about a sound clip ?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:54 AM   #14
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
What's the size of the stock exhaust pipe SS L99?

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote