Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #15
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
The added parts will have a 12/ 12 warranty. The rest of the car will have its factory warranty and the GMPP aftermarket parts will not void the factory warranty.

EDIT:

if they are installed by an approved GMPP dealer.

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 11-06-2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added clarification
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
Yeahyouknwit

Drives: 2003 Mustang Gt Conv.
is the off road cat back system going to be out for us to purchase?
Yeahyouknwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #17
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
The added parts will have a 12/ 12 warranty. The rest of the car will have its factory warranty and the GMPP aftermarket parts will not void the factory warranty.

EDIT:

if they are installed by an approved GMPP dealer.
Your car will not lose it's warranty no matter who does the work. For example, if you install headers (no matter if they're GMPP or ones you somehow made yourself) on your car and 6 months later the ECU dies. They would have to replace/fix it because there's no way in hell that failure was caused by your headers. They have to PROVE that your parts caused the problem. If your aftermarket work did cause the problem, of course you're on your own.

This is all thanks to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:17 PM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Please tell me who ADI is?

Do you think the shorty headers & the cat back system will help and would they be worth the money?

Put it another way is any of this going to help performance much?

When you are talking about a good tuner helping you out on performance, are you folks talking about a computer geek who knows these GM engines and works on computer cards?

I sure could use some help on this. I want to keep the 3 year/ 36000 mile warranty.

Thanks,

Hoss
I think the value of the catback (CB) and shorties will be relative to your situation. For example, for me, because I live in California, I get fines for running parts without CARB certification on them (I know, because I've been fined $200 twice for long tubes(LTs)) so although I know shorties aren't going to add much power, I'll go with them anyways because they'll have CARB certification. Obviously, LTs would be optimal, and sound bad@$$, but I don't want to worry about getting pulled over and fined. I'll only be adding parts with CARB certification (if I get a supercharger, for example, I'll get one with a CARB number and maybe swap a pulley on it for more power) but if you don't have these codes to follow, you can do whatever you feel like, for the most part, within the confines of your vehicle codes. CBs don't require CARB numbers but there are codes for sound volume, and I believe there is going to be an off-road catback from GMPP in addition to a street-version.

Everyone has already said what I was thinking regarding warranty coverage with GMPP parts and aftermarket parts, along with what the law says about aftermarket parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMY68SS View Post
I have friends with Z06s that were told that anything they bolted to the engine, i.e. headers would void the warranty. Now, these weren't GMPP headers, they were aftermarket. So, I agree with the others, if you can depend on your dealer for the installs, the warranty should be maintained with the parts they are offering. We haven't seen any forced induction, yet. Def gonna have to go aftermarket for that I guess.

Edit: Just found this........keep it handy and check out the cat-back sounds

http://www.gmaccessorydealer.com/orderfulfillment.asp

ADI = authorized dealer for installations or something like that......someone your dealer uses for doing their installs for them.

The tuner is a small handheld device that can be used to make adjustments to your computer......or it can be a dyno based device that tweaks your computer. Just depends on what you want.

GMs warranty is 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain and 3 year/36,000 bumper to bumper.
That site it sweet! Thanks - just added to favorites!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahyouknwit View Post
is the off road cat back system going to be out for us to purchase?
That's what's been said

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #19
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Not Exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Your car will not lose it's warranty no matter who does the work. For example, if you install headers (no matter if they're GMPP or ones you somehow made yourself) on your car and 6 months later the ECU dies. They would have to replace/fix it because there's no way in hell that failure was caused by your headers. They have to PROVE that your parts caused the problem. If your aftermarket work did cause the problem, of course you're on your own.

This is all thanks to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
They do not have to "prove" that the added parts caused the failure...read the following. There are several stories by "Ford Fusion" owners who had warranty work denied due to suspension modification, engine bolt ons (e.g., CAI, etc.), or new wheel/tire combos.
================================================== ======

My brother was a zone manager on the sales side of the car business (basically someone who wholesales the cars and trucks to the dealers) and for the last two years has done so on the parts and service side of the business. Myself? I am in the industrial fabrication business on the service parts side (among others) and as an Amsoil dealer (not very active), I am very familiar, to the point of nausea, with the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Plus my wife works for Michigan's largest law firm, involved in product liability defense for Daimler-Chrysler. She's familiar, to the point of nausea, with Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

Now that those qualifiers are out of the way, I'm going to post an opinion of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act that ain't gonna thrill too many people. The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is, in many cases, for the average car buyer, not worth the paper it's printed on. It gives you a whole bunch of legal rights in the event of a warranty dispute with the car manufacturers. On paper. In real life, you, the car owner, will have to prove that the aftermarket part or modification had nothing to do with a particular failure. Despite what the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act says. All the dealer and the company zone manager have to do, to make your life miserable, is deny the warranty claim. Your car stays out of service, and YOU have to provide your own transportation. YOU have to pay the "experts" to dispute the dealer and auto company's assertions of violating the terms of the warranty. YOU have to hire an attorney, and take them to court. My brother has binders of denied warranty claims, with the majority claiming Magnuson Moss Warranty Act violations. Their cars are out of service, no one is providing or paying for a loaner, and those people are S.O.L., representation by big, fancy lawyers notwithstanding. In fact, the way my brother talks, the more you the car owner talk about the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, the more likely they'll deny your warranty claim out of shear spite, and when I met several of my brothers colleagues last year at his wedding, those very sentiments were repeated over and over.

They, the dealer, don't have to do anything. All they have to do is be obstinate. You, the car owner, will be the one S.O.L. Just ask the hundreds, if not thousands, of Toyota owners who's cars were affected the oil sludge problem a few years ago, changed their oil religious at a quick oil change shop, had records, and were still S.O.L. pending litigation.

Think about that carefully before doing anything aftermarket on your car.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #20
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
when I had my SRT4 all MOPAR parts where "Off Road Use Only", thus no warranty
Old 11-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #21
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Well my point was that legally they have to. Of course there are unscrupulous dealers out there that'll do anything and everything they can to get out of giving you free repairs. This would be illegal but as you pointed out, if they refuse, you have to take them to court to get them to do what's legally owed to you. But, this is true of ANY repair whether you modified your car or not. They can easily say "oh, theres nothing wrong" or "you must've driven it too hard". They could always say you made a modification even if you never did.

So dealers abusing/breaking the law aside, they will repair your car as long as your changes didn't cause the issue. I personally have had good experience with a local GMC dealer who fixed issues even though they were likely caused by me. It's this kind of service that keeps certain dealerships in business. Too bad they aren't a chevrolet dealer or else I'd be ordering my Camaro through them.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #22
Chevyzone

Drives: Chevy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
They do not have to "prove" that the added parts caused the failure...read the following. There are several stories by "Ford Fusion" owners who had warranty work denied due to suspension modification, engine bolt ons (e.g., CAI, etc.), or new wheel/tire combos.
================================================== ======

My brother was a zone manager on the sales side of the car business (basically someone who wholesales the cars and trucks to the dealers) and for the last two years has done so on the parts and service side of the business. Myself? I am in the industrial fabrication business on the service parts side (among others) and as an Amsoil dealer (not very active), I am very familiar, to the point of nausea, with the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Plus my wife works for Michigan's largest law firm, involved in product liability defense for Daimler-Chrysler. She's familiar, to the point of nausea, with Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

Now that those qualifiers are out of the way, I'm going to post an opinion of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act that ain't gonna thrill too many people. The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is, in many cases, for the average car buyer, not worth the paper it's printed on. It gives you a whole bunch of legal rights in the event of a warranty dispute with the car manufacturers. On paper. In real life, you, the car owner, will have to prove that the aftermarket part or modification had nothing to do with a particular failure. Despite what the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act says. All the dealer and the company zone manager have to do, to make your life miserable, is deny the warranty claim. Your car stays out of service, and YOU have to provide your own transportation. YOU have to pay the "experts" to dispute the dealer and auto company's assertions of violating the terms of the warranty. YOU have to hire an attorney, and take them to court. My brother has binders of denied warranty claims, with the majority claiming Magnuson Moss Warranty Act violations. Their cars are out of service, no one is providing or paying for a loaner, and those people are S.O.L., representation by big, fancy lawyers notwithstanding. In fact, the way my brother talks, the more you the car owner talk about the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, the more likely they'll deny your warranty claim out of shear spite, and when I met several of my brothers colleagues last year at his wedding, those very sentiments were repeated over and over.

They, the dealer, don't have to do anything. All they have to do is be obstinate. You, the car owner, will be the one S.O.L. Just ask the hundreds, if not thousands, of Toyota owners who's cars were affected the oil sludge problem a few years ago, changed their oil religious at a quick oil change shop, had records, and were still S.O.L. pending litigation.

Think about that carefully before doing anything aftermarket on your car.

I agree. The folks with the deep pockets unfortunately have the advantage. The Magnuson Moss Act was meant to protect, not only the consumer, but also the retailer. However, if a warranty repair is denied due to 'add on' parts being stated as the cause of the failure(s), the car owner now has a very tough road to hoe. The ball now falls firmly into the owners court and the burden of proof is now his. It can be very costly and time consuming, plus the vehicle can be held, especially if it's deemed a safety issue, until a settlement is reached.

One story...The owner of a brand new Vette was asked to remove his aftermarket exhaust and return it back to stock before the GM service department would continue to trouble shoot reported chassis and interior noise. The owner could hear it, but the service dept. said the car was to loud for them to hear any noise. Return it back to stock, or take it somewhere else. He complained, wrote letters and the decision was upheld. The point is, you may also be refused service if the add on part(s) are causing diagnostic problems. You could be asked to remove them.

I'll stick with the GM authorized parts. JMO
Chevyzone is offline   Reply With Quote