Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #1
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Thoughts on adding cam w/o headers?

I'm about to kill my CPO by adding some parts, but I'm also kind of pacing the upgrades...

I have the following going on in a few weeks:

1. FAST LSXr 102 intake manifold
2. Ported/fixed LS7 heads (Gwatney); along with .685 dual spring kit (Brian Tooley)
3. CHE bronze trunnions
...and of course a tune to go with it...

I'm debating just picking up a cam and having it put in at the same time given the springs I got (listed above). I don't know if those springs will work with the stock cam in the Z/28 (can anyone tell me if that will be a problem?).

And now on to the main question...

Given that our exhaust manifolds on the Z/28 aren't all that shabby to begin with, do you guys think I could get by without adding headers for awhile?
I know I'm likely to not get the full capability until headers are added, but thats ok, it minimizes what I need to do later.

After labor, I've already dropped a fairly serious dime...I want to wait a few months to add the headers (figure if I wait until black friday I can save at least 500-700 on parts I still need to get).

For reference, my overall plan (keeping in mind this is my dd):

1. IM (going on in a few weeks)
2. 102mm TB
3. Ported heads (going on in a few weeks)
4. Cam (TSP stage 2.2 OR custom grind somewhere between TSP stage 2.2 and 3.2)
5. 660cc fuel injectors
6. Kooks LTs with green cats
...that's all I've thought of so far...overall I'm shooting for ~600whp eventually, but pacing it.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
shouldn't be a huge deal, outside of power "left on the table" for not putting on LT heads right-away. The main concern is having to tune again once you install headers, as you'll also need a tune after the cam. are you okay having to pay twice for a tune?

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 608RS View Post
shouldn't be a huge deal, outside of power "left on the table" for not putting on LT heads right-away. The main concern is having to tune again once you install headers, as you'll also need a tune after the cam. are you okay having to pay twice for a tune?
Yea I kind of accepted that I'd get stuck paying for a tune. If I wait on the cam and headers, I'll have to pay for a tune again anyways, so I figure its a wash either way.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #4
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
When i eventually get my cam ground, and installed...i’ll be running stock from the cylinder head exhaust ports-> exit out the back. Wont be changing anything.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #5
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Talk to whoever is specing the cam if stock exhaust manifolds are ok and also whomever is tuning it if they'll have issues. Asking on here is great and all... We're not the ones performing the work nor responsible for your end goals and happiness
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/

Last edited by j o n; 10-08-2019 at 05:52 PM.
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:13 AM   #6
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
Talk to whoever is specing the cam if stock exhaust manifolds are ok and also whomever is tuning it if they'll have issues. Asking on here is great and all... We're not the ones performing the work nor responsible for your end goals and happiness
I didn't get any kickback when I was talking about it with the shop that will be doing the work and tune, BUT, I think I'm going to wait until the next round of upgrades. I should save enough in the remaining parts on black friday to make up the labor difference between doing it now and doing it in a few months. At least thats the hope...
Old 10-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
I was in the same boat as you. I was about drop some serious pennies for:

intake manifold
cam
springs/rods
head work
headers
tune

Instead I want backwards and did the headers and a tune. I wasn't ready to tear into my LS7 just yet. I spent 1/3 of total cost and I like to say I'm very happy with what she's got for now. Sounds awesome better than before. LS7 is already high performance engine so I just couldn't justify myself to spend that much. I'm sure I'll do more later but for now man she sounds good.

PM me your email and I'll send you a video clip of cold start. Remember this is just headers with straight pipe using stock mufflers. Good luck dude. FYI, it's like getting a small tat...later you'll want a bigger one and all over your body. LOL
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzero View Post
I was in the same boat as you. I was about drop some serious pennies for:

intake manifold
cam
springs/rods
head work
headers
tune

Instead I want backwards and did the headers and a tune. I wasn't ready to tear into my LS7 just yet. I spent 1/3 of total cost and I like to say I'm very happy with what she's got for now. Sounds awesome better than before. LS7 is already high performance engine so I just couldn't justify myself to spend that much. I'm sure I'll do more later but for now man she sounds good.

PM me your email and I'll send you a video clip of cold start. Remember this is just headers with straight pipe using stock mufflers. Good luck dude. FYI, it's like getting a small tat...later you'll want a bigger one and all over your body. LOL

I don't mind the sound of her stock really. I started with the heads to get the head fix done, which just happens to be by GPI, who ports the stock heads as a part of their fix. I went ahead and upgraded the springs and exhaust valves while I was at it (cost me about 600 bucks more to do that). That was my #1 concern was to get the heads done, if anything, for piece of mind. I got the intake manifold for a deal that was entirely too good to pass on, so, that'll go on too. The irony is, I will be killing my CPO warranty with parts from a Chevy dealership lol.

Headers, cam, and probably a better timing chain *might* happen in a few months, depending on how this whole divorce thing goes.