Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
kville988
Lurking in my SS

Drives: '14 2SS/RS L99
v6 making weird noise

Hey all, my GF just bought a V6 auto 2015 camaro. She has been saying it has been making strange noises so i decided to take a listen so i can better describe it on here. So 1st, i noticed when she accelerates there is a very small fast rattle/clicking noise. Only when she puts her foot on the gas you hear it. When she lets off the gas it's gone.

The other noise is when the car cold starts. It high revs of course but then you hear a prominent rattle/clicking noise coming from what sounds like the driver side closes to the fire wall area somewhere. I have the 15 SS and mine doesn't make these noises. I thought maybe since im not used to the v6 that could possibly be normal but then again its a new car, if it was a used car id be worried and taking things apart. so i dont want to give her "well it's a new car break it in" excuse.. for someone who knows little about cars those noises would def. Have someone worried. Anybody can chime in on this?
kville988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #2
Oby1
The Force

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS
I was told on the on the 2013 that it's the injectors.
Oby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Maybe make a recording maybe we could listen?
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
kville988
Lurking in my SS

Ill try to get a recording tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:09 AM   #5
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
Turn on the radio!
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #6
Seanshanahan

Drives: 2013 1LT
I have a 2013 LT and that engine noise form the driver side is the EXACT same thing that I have with mine. Its like a metallic noise right? doesnt happen all the time just random correct? almost as if it was dead mid engine location on the drivers side? If so i have taken it to chevy 3 times in over 4 months and complained about it and they said they couldnt find anything the last time i took it in they said their technician "found" the problem that it was "normal" to make that noise on and off its because "supposedly" the high pressure fuel has a high cycle rate and is located behind the engine and the motor doesnt do a very good job of covering the noise. In other words they fed me a load of shit but i played it of as if they were right. they said it shouldnt make the noise anymore because they replaced the fuel pump and if it did it was "normal" and that there isnt anything structurally wrong inside the engine *rolled my eyes*. so needless to say i left work today and i started it and sure enough its making the noise again so i might have another chat with them cause im pretty ticked. But you are not alone brother im fighting this battle to please let me know if you come to any conclusions from this explanation. sorry if its long.
Seanshanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
i007spectre

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2008 HHR ECTO-2H
I have the noise in my 2014 as well. Don't know if anyone has heard what the noisy fan issue sounds like, but that is how I described this noise heard on accelerating.
i007spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:51 AM   #8
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
I've had it since my first week of ownership, and I'll still occasionally notice it. Best fix for it is louder exhaust.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:32 AM   #9
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
lol you dont wanna know my experience so far with a clicking noise on my V6
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #10
kville988
Lurking in my SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanshanahan View Post
I have a 2013 LT and that engine noise form the driver side is the EXACT same thing that I have with mine. Its like a metallic noise right? doesnt happen all the time just random correct? almost as if it was dead mid engine location on the drivers side? If so i have taken it to chevy 3 times in over 4 months and complained about it and they said they couldnt find anything the last time i took it in they said their technician "found" the problem that it was "normal" to make that noise on and off its because "supposedly" the high pressure fuel has a high cycle rate and is located behind the engine and the motor doesnt do a very good job of covering the noise. In other words they fed me a load of shit but i played it of as if they were right. they said it shouldnt make the noise anymore because they replaced the fuel pump and if it did it was "normal" and that there isnt anything structurally wrong inside the engine *rolled my eyes*. so needless to say i left work today and i started it and sure enough its making the noise again so i might have another chat with them cause im pretty ticked. But you are not alone brother im fighting this battle to please let me know if you come to any conclusions from this explanation. sorry if its long.

Sorry it took me a while for the replies yall but the reason is because yes its off and on with the noise. Sound like it is coming from the driver side somewhere. and if the radio is silent if you listen hard enough (I drove it late at night so I wouldn't have road distractions and noise) you can hear a small rattle sound as you slowly accelerate which is the 2nd issue. The noise is even worse during a cold start. I brought it to the dealer yesterday and I got 2 things from them. 1. "it is normal on the v6" (lol). and 2, "almost every v6 buyer they had this year has said they hear a ticking and that it is normal because the camaro v6 engine is so big you can hear everything. "

I said my v8 engine is big too and I don't hear those noises and I have more moving parts on the SS. They took it in the shop and listened and revved it and all of that and said they didn't hear anything that wasn't normal. So I'm at a stand still at this point.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:45 AM   #11
kville988
Lurking in my SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
Turn on the radio!
lol thats what i told my gf to do. she gave me this look >>>
Old 03-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
kville988
Lurking in my SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
I have the noise in my 2014 as well. Don't know if anyone has heard what the noisy fan issue sounds like, but that is how I described this noise heard on accelerating.
yea thats the best way to describe the acceleration noise! you said it better. its like a tiny fan noise. but I turned the a/c off and it is still there. smh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6bangerBOOM View Post
I've had it since my first week of ownership, and I'll still occasionally notice it. Best fix for it is louder exhaust.
I was actually thinking the same. I might just put an exhaust on it and call it a day as far as the noises go. it's under warranty so if it breaks then hell they gotta fix it. I just wanted to be sure it was nothing wrong with it before I go putting tint, stripes, and other cosmetic stuff on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
lol you dont wanna know my experience so far with a clicking noise on my V6
I just read up on that lol. I seriously hope that isn't the issue on a brand new engine. Hope you get yours fixed soon.

Last edited by kville988; 03-31-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #13
thatnewguy

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I got my 2010 v6 and it makes a fast ticking noise usually just the ticking but now theirs a fast ticking noise
thatnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #14
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
My old 2012 V6 started doing this exact same thing after I had it for a few weeks (bought brand new). Was told it was normal and it eventually went away. Every now and then it would come back during light acceleration.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote