Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-30-2023, 07:48 PM   #1
CallHerCamil

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT
Engine knock or undercarriage rattle?

A little backstory on my Camaro. It's a 2010 Camaro LLT V6 with 145k on the clock. I bought it pre-owned with one owner & blew the engine at about 48k and lucked out and got it replaced at the end of the manufacturer's 5-year warranty powertrain at the end of 2014.

I was getting a bunch of misfires, and then in Sept 2021, I got a p0089 and a strong smell of fuel. I threw my hands in the air and ordered a bunch of parts, including fuel injectors, spark plugs, coils, o2 sensors (constant misfires), rear fuel pressor sensor (p0089) & valve cover gaskets (oil on spark plugs).

Fast forward to June 2023 & I start it up for the first time since Sept 2021 & I say, let me try and swap out the fuel pressure sensor. I do so & the car runs & I take it for a spin & got up to 90 on the highway. On the way home, I hear this chatter and go ruh, roh.

As part of my plan and hopes to get it back running, I bought oil & had it on hand. I got it started, got excited, took it on a drive & got this rattle on the way home. I went to drain the oil & only 2.5/6 quarts came out. That freaked me out & I'm hoping this isn't another blown engine.

I drained & filled & let it idle for 20 & the rattle persisted. Can anybody differentiate a knock vs. an undercarriage rattle before I try oil additives?

Below is a video.

http://https://youtube.com/shorts/lP-weDlP-nY?feature=share

Custom 2.5" Catback | Magnaflow Resonated X Piper | Kooks R250 Muffler | 4" Quad Tips | AutoDynasty LT Headers | K&N CAI | Hypertech Tuning | Phastek Catch Can | Eibach Pro Damper Kit | Eibach Anti-Roll Kit | Street Scene Front Splitter | Ikon Side Skirts | Alpine 12" Sub | HiFonics Monoblock | Pioneer 7" DoubleDin | Husky Floor Liners | Iggee Front & Rear Red Seat Covers
CallHerCamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 05:56 AM   #2
Dave-G

Drives: 2011 RS/2LT- manual
I'm a little confused here. You're saying you installed a new engine, ran it for 7 years, then had issues and a strong smell of fuel, fired the parts canon at it and parked it. 2 years later you got it started, took it out and ran it on the highway at 90 miles an hour and now it's knocking? If I'm understanding it correctly, it sounds like you ran it hard on 2.5 quarts of fuel diluted engine oil, and that that sounds like a rod knock. I'm not there to see it in person, but you had the perfect scenario to cook an engine going on there.
Dave-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 10:40 AM   #3
cawengr

Drives: Classy
Sounds exactly like my daughters KIA that ended up being a rod knock.
cawengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 12:37 PM   #4
CallHerCamil

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-G View Post
I'm a little confused here. You're saying you installed a new engine, ran it for 7 years, then had issues and a strong smell of fuel, fired the parts canon at it and parked it. 2 years later you got it started, took it out and ran it on the highway at 90 miles an hour and now it's knocking? If I'm understanding it correctly, it sounds like you ran it hard on 2.5 quarts of fuel diluted engine oil, and that that sounds like a rod knock. I'm not there to see it in person, but you had the perfect scenario to cook an engine going on there.
Yep, this pretty much sums it up.

Fingers crossed that its a exhaust related rattle ��

I came here to get multiple opinions in case anyone is experiencing a similar noise.

For more context, the sound only appears between 2500/3200 RPM and not during idle after the 3200 range, it goes away.

Custom 2.5" Catback | Magnaflow Resonated X Piper | Kooks R250 Muffler | 4" Quad Tips | AutoDynasty LT Headers | K&N CAI | Hypertech Tuning | Phastek Catch Can | Eibach Pro Damper Kit | Eibach Anti-Roll Kit | Street Scene Front Splitter | Ikon Side Skirts | Alpine 12" Sub | HiFonics Monoblock | Pioneer 7" DoubleDin | Husky Floor Liners | Iggee Front & Rear Red Seat Covers

Last edited by CallHerCamil; 07-01-2023 at 12:49 PM.
CallHerCamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 01:36 PM   #5
Dave-G

Drives: 2011 RS/2LT- manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallHerCamil View Post
Yep, this pretty much sums it up.

Fingers crossed that its a exhaust related rattle ��

I came here to get multiple opinions in case anyone is experiencing a similar noise.

For more context, the sound only appears between 2500/3200 RPM and not during idle after the 3200 range, it goes away.
I'm pretty sure that at this point, it's just bad news. Rod knocks often show up at lower RPM exactly like yours is displaying.
Dave-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 03:29 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Well if that is an under carriage rattle, your engine is running like crap and vibrating very badly!! But from MY past experiences, that sounds like bad news, rod knock for sure. I had an older Challenger that did that EXACT same noise when I had a wrist pin break. It would only do it above idle.
Old 09-15-2023, 12:39 PM   #7
Bigalamo

Drives: 2011 LS Camaro
Check all your bases. Look and see if your motor or trans mounts are shot.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:28 PM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I just listened to it again, check your exhaust system and make sure none of it is loose and hitting against any of the under body bracing. Just maybe.