Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #29
You Aint Slick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
That’s the worst part, I know how to shift properly, I used to always ask how people could miss shift into a gear lower.

Hell, I even sat in my car after the fact and I had problems going from 2nd to 1st parked, I just couldn’t wrap my head around how the hell I managed to do it.

I think it was nerves coupled with being tense and trying to slam gears as fast and hard as possible.

Rookie mistake for the strip. :(
You Aint Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #30
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Aint Slick View Post
That’s the worst part, I know how to shift properly, I used to always ask how people could miss shift into a gear lower.

Hell, I even sat in my car after the fact and I had problems going from 2nd to 1st parked, I just couldn’t wrap my head around how the hell I managed to do it.

I think it was nerves coupled with being tense and trying to slam gears as fast and hard as possible.

Rookie mistake for the strip. :(
Don't beat up on yourself.... I promise you everyone that has ever tried to actually push the car hard has done this or something like it.... It happened, learn from it and move on....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #31
You Aint Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Don't beat up on yourself.... I promise you everyone that has ever tried to actually push the car hard has done this or something like it.... It happened, learn from it and move on....

Thanks man, I definitely learned from it, I was super happy I had the nerve to continue the day and do my other 2 runs.

I think I've decided to just play it out, drive the car and enjoy it. Deal with the consequences when they come. I think I just got lucky, and I should count my stars.

If it does bite me in the ass in the future, I'll just continue to pay the car off, save up and do some serious motor work to it.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #32
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Here is a heart breaking sound bite....Shifted into 5th at the 3/4 mile at about 200 mph.... three or four seconds later at about 217 mph, right before the mile, if you look closely at the windshield bottom left of the frame, you'll see a fog come across the glass.... That was when I lifted the heads, blew the head gasket and tore up a substantial part of the block and destroyed both heads....I over pressurized my coolant system before the block vented and swelled the radiator on both ends... My weekend was over... Note the fog as it hits the glass... and the time until the first beep... During this interval, I stabbed the clutch, came off the gas, reached up and tossed the chute, which hit so hard it set off Onstar, which is the beep sound.... Beep........ Beep............ Beep.......... Briiinnngggggg.... Onstar.... bush blah blah.... I thanked her for calling and was way more concerned about the motor.... Nobody was hurt but my baby was....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #33
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
Tagged for later

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #34
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
to be honest with you my Denali's LQ4 has been making the same noise for about 15k miles. It gets a tad more loud every so often. I am planning on pulling it apart real soon. Sounded exactly like that when it started. If yours gets louder I'd have a look
Old 08-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #35
You Aint Slick

Can someone else record there stock LS3 around the same area? Lol
Old 08-15-2018, 06:09 PM   #36
You Aint Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Here is a heart breaking sound bite....Shifted into 5th at the 3/4 mile at about 200 mph.... three or four seconds later at about 217 mph, right before the mile, if you look closely at the windshield bottom left of the frame, you'll see a fog come across the glass.... That was when I lifted the heads, blew the head gasket and tore up a substantial part of the block and destroyed both heads....I over pressurized my coolant system before the block vented and swelled the radiator on both ends... My weekend was over... Note the fog as it hits the glass... and the time until the first beep... During this interval, I stabbed the clutch, came off the gas, reached up and tossed the chute, which hit so hard it set off Onstar, which is the beep sound.... Beep........ Beep............ Beep.......... Briiinnngggggg.... Onstar.... bush blah blah.... I thanked her for calling and was way more concerned about the motor.... Nobody was hurt but my baby was....

Daaaaamn bro that must’ve hurt.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #37
You Aint Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
to be honest with you my Denali's LQ4 has been making the same noise for about 15k miles. It gets a tad more loud every so often. I am planning on pulling it apart real soon. Sounded exactly like that when it started. If yours gets louder I'd have a look

Uh oh ! I’m hoping it’s just the injectors or normal valve train noise
Old 08-16-2018, 07:20 AM   #38
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Uh oh ! I’m hoping it’s just the injectors or normal valve train noise
Mine now literally sounds like a can of marbles. I am 99% its valve train. I think lifters. The bitch is that its my daily driver and I have a cross country trip planned with the family in a few weeks. Camaro has been in the body shop for a month so i haven't been able to look into it. Either way, hope the OP doesn't have the same issue
Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #39
You Aint Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwdan View Post
Mine now literally sounds like a can of marbles. I am 99% its valve train. I think lifters. The bitch is that its my daily driver and I have a cross country trip planned with the family in a few weeks. Camaro has been in the body shop for a month so i haven't been able to look into it. Either way, hope the OP doesn't have the same issue

Brutal, I re-visited the sound and it kinda sounds like a sewing machine, which I've heard is normal valve train noise.

I have an appointment on the 5th of September to have the valve cover taken off, and everything inspected inside.

Hopefully she doesn't blow on me before then lol.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:16 AM   #40
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
You'll be ok
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #41
You Aint Slick

So a gentleman by the name of Sean Getty, over at Getty Automotive (Big Corvette guy) where I am said he took the valve cover off and all looked good, he didn't take the push rods out because he honestly didn't see any reason to. He listened to the motor, and can't hear anything out of the ordinary and said the car is in really good shape.

Everything checks out, and he has a really good reputation so I'm going take his word for it, now he's pricing me out a new cam kit, and or some new valve springs (I wanted to change them out) they have the yellow valve springs inside, and I drive the car pretty hard, and figured I would change them out for some peace of mind.

On a site note, he found that my radiator wasn't even in the support brackets... The dealership never put it back in normally after they did a bunch of repairs a few months ago.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #42
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
So a gentleman by the name of Sean Getty, over at Getty Automotive (Big Corvette guy) where I am said he took the valve cover off and all looked good, he didn't take the push rods out because he honestly didn't see any reason to. He listened to the motor, and can't hear anything out of the ordinary and said the car is in really good shape.

Everything checks out, and he has a really good reputation so I'm going take his word for it, now he's pricing me out a new cam kit, and or some new valve springs (I wanted to change them out) they have the yellow valve springs inside, and I drive the car pretty hard, and figured I would change them out for some peace of mind.

On a site note, he found that my radiator wasn't even in the support brackets... The dealership never put it back in normally after they did a bunch of repairs a few months ago.
Nice going that has to be a relief. I would suggest a driver mod before the Cam lol. Thx for pointing these guys out I didn't think we had squat in Ottawa for high performance shops it would be nice to know I could get some work on my car at some point to maybe go a little faster or whatever.

Mind you I have no idea what I would do.... Hmm maybe headers and hi flos.... Hmmmmmm
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote