Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 05-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #85
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Dang frank you never give up. Great job on the build. So we finally know the tune was junk as well. I learned a hard lesson dealing with those jokers. (sure would like to run into them one day) I am so scared to even change a lugnut on the Z06. I guess I will just drive it as is and let gm warranty it for the next 5 years. Car is sounding great cant wait to see some times.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #86
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
Dang frank you never give up. Great job on the build. So we finally know the tune was junk as well. I learned a hard lesson dealing with those jokers. (sure would like to run into them one day) I am so scared to even change a lugnut on the Z06. I guess I will just drive it as is and let gm warranty it for the next 5 years. Car is sounding great cant wait to see some times.
I am determined to get this thing running right no matter what. It was a real stroke of luck running into Graham from Lingenfelter at C5 Fest. I hadn't really thought to look that closely at the tune until then. Thank goodness I didn't blow up the engine! Boost is holding true and steady now with the new wastegate from Synapse. With the tune in it I have had it set at 7 lbs. and was afraid to take it any higher until things are sorted out. It actually starts and runs with the new injectors in, but it's really rich. My new wideband will be here on Wed., already got the O2 bung welded in for it. Tuning will start later this week. I will post as to results and what I had to do to fix it. I know Raymond will be interested in knowing. I am keeping him in the loop on this so he can get his car back up and running too.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #87
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
Nice ABM! Keep posting pics!
Old 05-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #88
FrankT

Thanks! I hope (soon) to have some pics and video of it on the road instead of in the shop all the time...
Old 05-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #89
FrankT

Just got the factory heater hoses off so the Tech AFX hoses can go on in the morning. Folks, if you tackle this you better pack your lunch. I thought it would be simple, and I guess it is, but the lack of clearance at the firewall makes it a real PITA. I would have shot some video of me removing the hoses, but it would have been x-rated because of the language. I saved the hoses, I think I'll do a burnout on them when I get the car running. What else can I say? I HATE THESE HOSES!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #90
FrankT

Tech Afx hoses are on. I'll be installing Corvette LS3 engine covers as soon as they get here. I think the engine looks a lot less cluttered without the heater and fuel hoses running across the top of it.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #91
FrankT

Coil covers are on!

Got the Corvette LS3 coil covers on. I'm considering modifying them where it says "CORVETTE" to say "CAMARO". Or possibly have them painted Aqua Blue to match the car... opinions welcome.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #92
LSX-80MM
Ghostly Unknown

Drives: Silver Ice 2010 SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
I am determined to get this thing running right no matter what. It was a real stroke of luck running into Graham from Lingenfelter at C5 Fest. I hadn't really thought to look that closely at the tune until then. Thank goodness I didn't blow up the engine! Boost is holding true and steady now with the new wastegate from Synapse. With the tune in it I have had it set at 7 lbs. and was afraid to take it any higher until things are sorted out. It actually starts and runs with the new injectors in, but it's really rich. My new wideband will be here on Wed., already got the O2 bung welded in for it. Tuning will start later this week. I will post as to results and what I had to do to fix it. I know Raymond will be interested in knowing. I am keeping him in the loop on this so he can get his car back up and running too.
I'm watching you very closely Mr Frank
TS416,GMPPLSX-LS3 6 Bolt Heads,Custom 80mmComp Turbo,ID850 Injectors, Lonnies Twin Pump Setup,Level 3 4L80E,DSS,3in Magnaflow Exhaust,CoolingMist Meth,RX Dual Catch Can,InnovateWB,Aeroforce Interceptor,AEM Truboost Controller,matte black CF5 Forgestars.700rwhp/712rwtrq
LSX-80MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #93
godfathercrc

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS
Thats alot of work nice job
godfathercrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #94
FrankT

Well, after hours of reading and studying every tuning site I could find I think I'm finally tuned! I used EFI Live and although I have done a few cars with HP Tuners, nothing has been as involved as tuning this turbo car. Swingtan's L76/ E38 VVE Dial in Guide was a huge part in getting this done. Many thanks to him for putting this writeup online. I did re-enable the LTFT's, we'll see how it works like that. I also added the fan control patch scaler since I changed the thermostat to a 160 degree. Then I was able to scale the fans to come on earlier than the factory settings. The injectors from Fuel Injector Connection also worked perfectly one they were scaled properly. Saved a bunch of money just getting my stock ones opened up to 70 lb. instead of buying new ones. I hope to get the car up to Ryan at RPM in Garner, NC to get it on the dyno and get some numbers soon. I've only got a few more things to do on this car for now (will it really ever be finished?). The end is in sight!
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #95
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Congrats Frank

It's been a long haul, but looks like you just about have it ready to run really, really well... You are a patient man.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #96
FrankT

Thanks. They say patience is a virtue. I just don't like to fail, that's all.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #97
FrankT

On another note about the tuning... these E38 ECM's we have in the V8 Camaro's ain't like tuning the old LS1/ LS6 computers. There have been quite a few changes in the way the ECM's calculate the fuel. This is good and bad. Good for emissions and fuel economy, bad for trying to tune it. I pretty much had to re-learn everything I thought I already knew. Anyway, I'm no expert by any means but if anyone is tuning or trying to tune I'll be happy to answer any questions (if I can) or tell what I did to tune mine. No secrets here, I just want to see everyone's car running right.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #98
FrankT

Well, 500 miles or so on the car since I tuned it and it's still running great! No check engine lights, misfire codes or other issues either. However, I am having an issue with clearance between the widened (10.75) stock wheels and the Spohn lower control arms. It only occurs during hard cornering, the inside lip of the wheel is hitting the lower control arm. I have an e-mail into tech at Spohn about this, but I will probably have to pull them off and do a little cutting and welding to fix this. I'll post pics and procedure on this, and probably start a thread about it in the suspension section.