Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #43
CamaroTransAmFAM
DIE HARD G.M.FAN 4 LIFE

Drives: 99 TransAm WS6,00 TransAm WS6,05GTP
spend $11 $tack$ & it seems like we have our own custom made 2010 Z28!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GGGGGGGGGGGGreat Work GM 4 life
#1 DIE HARD GM FAN SSuperior MotorSportz "the SSpirit of Championz,The Attitude of Winnerz,"TEAM FBODY WE LIVE AND BREATHE PERFORMANCE"General Motors 4 Life "CAMARO & TRANS AM RACING ORGANIZATION" THE STREETZ IS A JUNGLE,ONLY 2 BEAST REIGN AS KING:THE PONTIAC TRANS AM WS6/FIREHAWK & CAMARO SS/Z28
CamaroTransAmFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #44
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
An LS3 block can take a hell of a lot of boost, the internals...no idea yet, 5-7 psi should be safe, you get a couple more over that and that's pushing it. All engines are going to be different, and there's always going to be some jerk that can run 3 more psi than everyone else and still be ok, if someone runs 2 psi less than his, their engine is going to go poof.

I didn't give you a solid answer, because I have no idea, but I know what's a good idea and what's not, so don't push it over 6psi until everyone and their grandma does it too.

BUT just keep in mind, "if something can go wrong it will". I guarantee some1 is going to hit 6psi and F up their engine, then going to complain because they voided their warranty and have nothing to drive.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #45
davidj

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
Impressive. But the question I will raise is:

Since the stock Ls3 is not a forge internals engine, how much can the stock internals, and drivetrain take before it goes....B O O M ?

If I have calculated this correctly, (I could be a bit off) those numbers should put you at about..610 Flywheel. that's a lot power running through stock components. And with GM's current situation, I somehow doubt highly that would be covered by a warranty.

So how much can a LS3 safely boost ?
IMHO this is reaching its limit for longevity. If I remember correctly the cast pistons are recommended no more than about 550hp. So at this level don’t expect 150k miles.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #46
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidj View Post
IMHO this is reaching its limit for longevity. If I remember correctly the cast pistons are recommended no more than about 550hp. So at this level don’t expect 150k miles.
Definitely, if you wanna go faster, either get a bike or a 'vette.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #47
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #48
ssrsheaven

Drives: 92 firebird,2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@Lingenfelter View Post
The Lingenfelter 2010 Camaro SS with Magnuson's MP2300 supercharger kit, modified air box with stock air filter, Lingenfelter 100 mm mass air sensor, 100 mm secondary zip tube, stock exhaust manifolds and Corsa's prototype full cat back exhaust system made 532 rwhp. See the dyno graph below.

Package Details

When Lingenfelter installs the Magnuson supercharger system we upgrade several components from the base Magnuson kit for better performance and reliability. Each car also gets Lingenfelter PCM programming that lets you benefit from the experience LPE has gained from installing hundreds of supercharger systems since 2001 when we first started offering the Magnuson superchargers as a package.

Package includes:
- TVS2300 intercooled supercharger system
- Black powder coated finish
- Based on OEM Eaton supercharger unit
- Properly sized fuel injectors
- Fuel system upgrades
- 160 Degree thermostat
- Boost bypass controller
- Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump fuel pump voltage booster
- Lingenfelter High Flow Air Intake
- Professional installation, testing and calibration
- Chassis dyno report before & after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely affected
- Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
- Lingenfelter fender badges
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity

Package price - $10,995.00

Optional Items
Corsa stainless steel cat back exhaust - Price TBA

DYNO:

Attachment 27804
ssrsheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #49
68 quicksilver

Drives: silver 68
HP Great ...nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@Lingenfelter View Post
The Lingenfelter 2010 Camaro SS with Magnuson's MP2300 supercharger kit, modified air box with stock air filter, Lingenfelter 100 mm mass air sensor, 100 mm secondary zip tube, stock exhaust manifolds and Corsa's prototype full cat back exhaust system made 532 rwhp. See the dyno graph below.

Package Details

When Lingenfelter installs the Magnuson supercharger system we upgrade several components from the base Magnuson kit for better performance and reliability. Each car also gets Lingenfelter PCM programming that lets you benefit from the experience LPE has gained from installing hundreds of supercharger systems since 2001 when we first started offering the Magnuson superchargers as a package.

Package includes:
- Fuel system upgrades
- 160 Degree thermostat

Optional Items

DYNO:

Attachment 27804

That a nice upgrade on HP but how will the rest of the powertrain handle that power, can it handle it....with out damage to something....????
68 quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #50
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownChevy View Post
IN regards to the TVS/Screw comparison, the screws are all hype...the ONLY thing they have over the TVS is size, and the 2300 will support 1000 BHP if you have the supporting mods to back it up.
If you think screws are "all hype", then you really need to do some more research. Here is a graph of the KB on my car:

This is on my 331cid engine and pushing ~12.5lbs of boost. Torque drop off on the big end is minimal and if you notice, the HP was still climbing when I let out of it at 6250. Those curves are quote a bit different than these:

What you don't see is the amount of heat being generated. The TVS (Roots) is going to produce a greater charge temperature per pound of boost than the twin screw. If you configured both blowers to produce 20lbs of boost, the TVS would proably see about 18,000rpm and a discharge temp of about 340 degrees whereas the twin screw would only need about 12,700 to produce the same 20lbs of boost and have discharge temps somewhere around 282 degrees.

Not only does the twin screw incur less parasitic loss (about 147hp is need to turn the TVS at 20lbs vs. the twin screw's 110hp) but it requires less rpm to do it with a significantly reduced inlet temperature. These are pretty much guesses on my part, but I think if you did a comparison of the two, the data would hold up for the most part.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #51
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitath View Post
Definitely, if you wanna go faster, either get a bike or a 'vette.
Or LSX
Old 05-27-2009, 02:54 PM   #52
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 quicksilver View Post
That a nice upgrade on HP but how will the rest of the powertrain handle that power, can it handle it....with out damage to something....????
I read that the tranny should hold up to about 600 BHP and the rear end was good for 650. The clutch is likely a different story, but that's not a biggie. I'd be a little more worried about the driveshaft and axles. Still, it doesn't sound like these power levels are really going to destroy the drivetrain so far. We'll find out

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #53
BlownChevy

Drives: 2015 1SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
If you think screws are "all hype", then you really need to do some more research. Here is a graph of the KB on my car:

This is on my 331cid engine and pushing ~12.5lbs of boost. Torque drop off on the big end is minimal and if you notice, the HP was still climbing when I let out of it at 6250. Those curves are quote a bit different than these:

What you don't see is the amount of heat being generated. The TVS (Roots) is going to produce a greater charge temperature per pound of boost than the twin screw. If you configured both blowers to produce 20lbs of boost, the TVS would proably see about 18,000rpm and a discharge temp of about 340 degrees whereas the twin screw would only need about 12,700 to produce the same 20lbs of boost and have discharge temps somewhere around 282 degrees.

Not only does the twin screw incur less parasitic loss (about 147hp is need to turn the TVS at 20lbs vs. the twin screw's 110hp) but it requires less rpm to do it with a significantly reduced inlet temperature. These are pretty much guesses on my part, but I think if you did a comparison of the two, the data would hold up for the most part.
I need to do my research?

What are your discharge temps at 12 psi with that bell blower?? Spinning a 2300 in exess of 25K + RPM we never saw temperatures above 40* over ambient. In other words on a 100* day the discharge temps were 140 * +/- 10*. That being said, at 8 psi on my 1900 I NEVER see anything over 25-30* ambient.

As for the parasitic loss, if you can explain to me how you are able to unload the screw and make it as efficient at the Maguson @ highway speeds it would be great. A screw compressor by definition is a COMPRESSOR and is ALWAYS compressing. There is NO way it can be bypassed and there is no way it can possibly be cooler due to the simple fact that is always compressing the air.

As for your comment about a comparison, I would LOVE to do that. I have the engine, the dyno cell and the staff.....Bring the blower, the magazines and the beer and I am game.
BlownChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #54
Corvin

Drives: Soon to have a 2SS 2010 Camaro
[QUOTE=Kevin@Lingenfelter;522865]The Lingenfelter 2010 Camaro SS with Magnuson's MP2300 supercharger kit, modified air box with stock air filter, Lingenfelter 100 mm mass air sensor, 100 mm secondary zip tube, stock exhaust manifolds and Corsa's prototype full cat back exhaust system made 532 rwhp. See the dyno graph below.

Package Details

Package includes:
- Fuel system upgrades
- 160 Degree thermostat

Optional Items

How come I'm not seeing anything powder coated black in the photos? Or what exactly gets powder coated black is what I'm asking. I'm very interested in this and maybe if I can talk the Mrs. into spending the cash on it I would contact Lingenfelter in a heartbeat.
3000, Order accepted by production control6/27/09
3100, Order available to sequence7/20/09
3300, Order scheduled for production7/20/09 TPW 8/03/09
3400, Order broadcast08/07/09
3800, Order produced08/10/09 2G1FT1EW0A9134351
4000, Available to ship08/11/09
4200, Shipped08/11/09
5000, Delivered to the dealer08/18/09
6000, Delivered to the customer08/18/09
Corvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #55
davidj

Drives: .
Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #56
FrozenCaveman
Just a caveman

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I like it. I think a cross-country road trip is in my future...