Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
NSCRFN3

Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS/RS M6
Vert Fans - Whatcha Gonna Do Now

I would like to know what all the people out there (including myself) that are wanting a convertible are going to do now. Are you going to get a coupe? Or are you going to wait?

Personally I dont know what I am going to do. I have been patiently waiting ever since I fell in love with the topless concept three years ago. Now with the recent news I feel kinda like I have lost a close relative and don't know which direction to go. If I knew the vert was on hold for a couple of years or so I would definately get a coupe. But with my luck as soon as I did, it would be announced the the vert was back on. So anyway I was just wondering what ya'll are gonna do out there. Might help me make up my mind. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
zforce

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Inferno Matelic Orange
get the coupe unless you are willing to waite a few years. We have a couple of years with the economy going in the direction it is going now and i believe GM will streamline their production for a while to stay in business.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
still saving up so i have no worries
Old 11-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Next May I'll be getting a 1,700 a month pay raise. Then I may be getting stationed overseas for a year without the family (major extra money each month!). That puts me at saving & paying extra bills off until about October 2010. the good thing is that I won't even see the Camaro's while I'm overseas! I won't have to be jealous & hate everyone who drives by me in one!

I'm waiting at least a year for a better selection of blue (hopefully Royal Blue or Jetstream Blue). The IBM is too dark for me & the Aqua colored one is simply ugly.

If the right blue does not come out, then I'll wait until the vert comes out - I'll be able to put down at least 12-20k by that time..... It's still worth waiting for because everyone (even coupe owners) will be staring at me when I pull up next to them with that top down....
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I'm really thinking about buying a V6 RS automatic. Bells and whistles comfortable so my wife and I can enjoy it. She simply refuses to drive a clutch and was a bit disappointed when I explained to her that I would not be taking an automatic convertible home from the dealership. But now getting a car she can also drive and enjoy to hold me over until my vert is released seems like a viable alternative, and it helps out GM's sales in the process.

Plus my beater is falling apart and I desperately need a new one...weird calling a Camaro a commuter/beater though...hehe
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
detroitboy
Pinholic

Drives: 11 Silverado, 08 Shelby GT500 Conv.
I threw in the towel and ordered a SS/RS coupe.

One coupe in the garage beats waiting 2 years (in addition to the previous 2 years) for a vert that might not ever happen. I can't imagine GM spending the extra money on this program with whats going on now.

Additionally....if you add the expected $5000 difference for a vert you are in the exact range of getting a vette convertible. Hmm...which one would have better resale after 5 years????? Duh.....

ordered 01/19/07
3000 - 2/27/09
3400 - 3/27/09
3800 - 4/17/09 (built and lost in the vortex)
ship date ??????? (I gave up and got a GT500)
5/11/09 - order cancelled
5/27/09 - vehicle arrived at dealership for whoever bought it after me
detroitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:49 AM   #7
SoSmoked

Drives: 00 camaro SS convt white
I don't get why they are delaying the vert. Ford isn't in as big financial problem as GM, but they said they are going about their regular business and try to make cars people want. I kinda wonder if GM going bankrupt and reshuffling their business and contracts would actually help.

Also we have seen all those pre-production camaro verts with the top up. Man is looks great with the top up, and amazing with the top down. The new camaro looks like it was born to be a vert. I remember when that black vert pics first showed up online. People were like I never like the way verts look with the top up but that looks great. I think the percentage of people who like and would actually buy the vert would increase if they saw how spectacular it was and propelling beyond niche vehicle status. To me is true AMERICANA.

I was planning on trading my 2000 SS conv on a new one. It has 83k miles on it and I think worth about 12k. Another couple of years waiting for a vert I'll have to come up with a bigger down payment. I knew a while ago when they announced prod. that it would be a heavier car so I was always kinda 50/50 between camaro or used c6. That soon shot to 100/0 once I saw the vert.

I will keep the vert torch lit until I hear that it has definitely been killed. I'll drive my SS until the wheels fall off I guess. Could be worse.
SoSmoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:09 AM   #8
Dave_O
Needs a Camaro

Drives: 2007 Chevy Trailblazer
I am still saving, and it is probably going to be a while before I can get one, at least another 2 years, once I get out of college...so depending on how things are looking then for the 'vert there is no telling. If I had the $$ though I would buy the Dale Jr. Edition, love the two-tone with the orange accent stripe separating the two. The only thing I would change, is I would relocate the subs that come with it to the bumper side corners, and move the amps against the seat, to make the trunk functional....

I LOVE GM vehicles, and particularly Chevy's, but would buy any GM vehicle if I had the $$...Hopefully, one day, soon enough, a 5th Gen CAMARO! Dave_O
Dave_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:30 AM   #9
RafCon

Drives: 2004 YZF-R1
I'm just as torn as NSCRFN3. I REALLY want the new camaro, but I was already set to wait for the convertible. Now, with this news, I don't know...

I still want to wait, but I would hate feeling like that guy waiting at the bus stop, not realizing the last bus to go by my stop was 20 minutes ago, and I'll be waiting all night for the next one.

If they were to say it were DEAD, no problem. Coupe.

Since they said delayed, I think I'll wait. I've been driving one of my cars for 16 years, and it looks like it might be another 2 or 3 before I can finally retire it. I know it will last though so no worries there, but I was trying to buy American again and this just puts a hold on that theory as well.
RafCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:39 AM   #10
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
If anyone really wants a convertible, I have a cherry 94 Vette 6-speed with 23K on it I could part with!
Rallysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:25 AM   #11
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
More time huuummm

I love the Vert and the coupe but my pick has always been the Vert but now after hearing it will be delayed maybe the coupe. I am sure now im going to wait a year to save up more money and after next year and I hear it's canceled or delayed again I will go for the coupe.

hope this helps you
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #12
jimbo57

Drives: 2010 SS, '06 EQUINOX, 72 MONTE
get the coupe. if GM indicates delays..convertible may have to wait until 2011, the intended model year. you would be almost three years into your loan. if you wanted the drop top at that point, you won't mind waiting. your hunger for the basic car will be satisfied. also the car market won't be saturated with new camaros. your coupe would still be worth some dough if you wanted to make a move. good luck to you.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #13
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
The whole purpose for me even putting thought into the Camaro was because I could get a high-performance drop-top that could seat up to 4 people.

I guess the only options I have left are the Mustang and the M3.

I really don't like the look of the 'Stang vert though...and the M3 is just a little more than I want to pay.

I'll probably just get another truck for now...and hopefully get a vert later on (if it ever sees the light of day.) The only problem...by then, the Camaro may not be the "front-runner" in the 'vert category.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #14
nickspohn

Drives: 2002 Camaro
I'm getting a corvette in the mean time. I don't feel like waiting longer, and plus, I'd really like to have a convertible and HUD. I can't do that with this Camaro coming out now, and who knows when the Camaro vert will be released.