Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #71
TRIPWIRE
Chillin Like a Villain

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic Dusk Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4two View Post
With all that he needs, how far off is that from a new engine? It sounds pretty bad off to me.
about 4 grand off prob more
TRIPWIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #72
Run4two

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Transformer Edition
You live and you learn. My modding is just beginning and it might not cause you any peace and might possibly anger you, but, I'm learning from everybody's experiences here to make the best possible choices later. My car still might fail at times, and I will post for those to learn from me, but I will do my best in honoring all that have helped me make the best possible choices. All I can say is... Thank You. I hope it doesn't sound hollow on the internet as it is sincere and genuine. Without you and others we move forward as a Camaro nation at a much slower rate. God bless and good luck.
Run4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #73
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
With all that he needs, how far off is that from a new engine? It sounds pretty bad off to me. But, on the bright side, the engine is fine! It will get fixed and be better than before.
I'm assuming the heads need to come off now and be checked. If that's the case then more than likely they'll drop the front cradle so to forge the parts wouldn't be a ton more cash. It's def worth looking into even though it may not be feasible at this time.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #74
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I'm assuming the heads need to come off now
Well, he did say that the valves need to be replaced.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #75
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
You live and you learn. My modding is just beginning and it might not cause you any peace and might possibly anger you, but, I'm learning from everybody's experiences here to make the best possible choices later. My car still might fail at times, and I will post for those to learn from me, but I will do my best in honoring all that have helped me make the best possible choices. All I can say is... Thank You. I hope it doesn't sound hollow on the internet as it is sincere and genuine. Without you and others we move forward as a Camaro nation at a much slower rate. God bless and good luck.

I kept what failed off the net since Sunday only saying what the symptons were. I posted what failed for just that reason you state, so we can learn. I would recommend upgrading the timing chain. Had I know that this could have happened I would have upgraded it during install.

I will not name the shop since I have no issues with them, they have been great during the initial install and helping to fix my car now . I think I was just the unlucky guy who was struck by lightning.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #76
DandD

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2011 LS
Hi Max, hang in there man. I'll be installing my cam this winter so I hope you'll answer this for me. Was this the stock timing chain? or was it an aftermarket chain? I've already decided that when I do the cam I am going to be replacing the timing chain and oil pump. I just need to determine which timing chain and gear set to go with. Feel free to PM me if you don't want this info made public.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #77
DandD

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2011 LS
Duhhhhh! I was typing my post as yours was posted Max, thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #78
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Well, he did say that the valves need to be replaced.

John B.
I'm far from a mechanic so that's the cause of my assumption. The heads will need to be checked in case anything banged into them. I know that it's faster and easier for them to leave the cradle on the ground, raise the car, and work on it like that. At that point there isn't much more involved in having the entire engine apart. Of course, if the cam is the last mod I wouldn't bother forging the bottom. Maybe into doing the heads now though.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #79
JohnnyBfromPeoria

SuperchargedSS, by your own admission, you may not be a mechanic, but you can drive the hell out of that car.

I would think this engine repair would be conducted largely by leaving the engine in the car and operating from the top, but if dropping the cradle is easier, so be it.

And since those heads are coming off, it would indeed be a great time to do some polishing and port matching if it hasn't already been done.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #80
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandD View Post
Duhhhhh! I was typing my post as yours was posted Max, thanks.
No Prob. We are installing a Katech aftermarket chain. It was the stock one that failed.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #81
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

I was very happy with the car the way it was before the failure and will not be modding further.

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #82

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
The timing chain failed. It needs new valves, cam, lifters, timing gear and chain, upper and lower gears, and oil pump.
Interesting....Never officially heard one way or the other, but sounds to me like these are "interference fit" engines....???....Sorry about the problems, but I think you might have to add pistons to the list of damages....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #83
lgKido

Drives: 2002 Dodge Ram :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
It's not the cause. It's the situation that's scary...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
.....the engine just shut off. Almost like it would with the key.
So, let's say you're daughter is in the middle lane of a six lane, in town highway with a speed limit of 65 mph, and there's a lot of traffic. Ahead, is the crest of a hill she must go over (which she does) and then her car just shuts off "like it would with a key". And behind her coming over the crest of the hill is an 18 wheeler with a full load and not enough time to stop. So the result is.....unthinkable!

I say this, and I too find this "scary" because it happened to me once. But it wasn't my car that stalled rather the car in front of me. When I came over the crest of the hill and saw the stalled car, it scared the s _ _ t out of me. Luckily, and I don't know how i did it, I was able to maneuver out of the way in time too miss them. But it was darn close, and was the first time in my life that I could see the entire whites of someone's eyes. I imagined, by the look in their eyes, that they thought they were dead meat.

To this day, I drive (as much as possible) in the shoulder lane out of fear that my car too will suddenly stall. And when I have no choice but to drive on an interior lane, I try to keep my car in a position so if their is a problem, I can switch lanes quickly. I know I'm paranoid, but that event scared the hell out of me. You're very fortunate your problem didn't occur in similar circumstances.

So, I'm be very interested in knowing what happened to make your car to make stall........
lgKido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #84
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Interesting....Never officially heard one way or the other, but sounds to me like these are "interference fit" engines....???....Sorry about the problems, but I think you might have to add pistons to the list of damages....
I'm pretty sure (for what that's worth) that the V-8's are non-interference. That would account for the repair parts list being as such.

John B.