Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
giturr14

Drives: V6 camaro
Programming keys D.I.Y. SAVE MONEY

Hey guys I'm creating this thread to save all of us Camaro owners some money when it comes to losing your keys. Unfortunately i was irresponsible enough to lose both sets of my 2014 camaro...Yes i know 2 keys in one year...wow.. So i went to the dealership and they charged me about $160 to order some new keys. On top of that they were telling me that i needed to have the car towed to the dealership and that the keys needed to be programmed. $135 was the price to program the keys (not including the tow). So what the dealership does not tell you is that the instructions to program the keys ARE IN YOUR MANUAL. When i first heard the keys needed to be "programmed" i beleived that a super special computer was needed to do the job. Well now you know that YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF FOR FREE. Follow these instructions. During the last cycle of turning the car ON for 10 min the security light should start blinking. This is good, turn off the car and start your engine.
giturr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
DeRais

Drives: Crimson 1LS 2015 because I'm poor
I could be wrong, but that seems kind of...simple? Couldn't someone just break into the car and re-key it in half an hour like that?

Yeah, I might have a slight Camaro-hoarding problem. But it's a sexy problem.
DeRais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRais View Post
I could be wrong, but that seems kind of...simple? Couldn't someone just break into the car and re-key it in half an hour like that?
If they already have your key code to turn the ignition on, then you're not going to stop them from getting your car at that point.

MOST car thieves aren't waiting over 30 minutes to steal a car, usually.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
giturr14

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
If they already have your key code to turn the ignition on, then you're not going to stop them from getting your car at that point.

MOST car thieves aren't waiting over 30 minutes to steal a car, usually.
yepp pretty much what im thinking. Plus remember the alarm sounds every time you turn the ignition on, so a thief would have to make a 15 sec car alarm sound every 10min to steal your car. But trust me guys this actually works. i was extremely surprised how simple it is myself.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
Chrisco22

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro LS
Here is my question, i have both my keys currently but the Key Fob has broken .. The unlock button on BOTH are pushed in and broken Can i just buy a key FOB from online and do this?

2011 Camaro LS: [Rally Yellow] [22" Status Rims] [BBK Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Cats] [Trifecta Tune] [K&N CAI] [Blacked out Bow Ties and Tail Lights] [15% Tint] [MAC Mufflers] [Rear Cat Delete] [Vmax Black Ice]
Chrisco22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
giturr14

I have a similar question. When i got the replacement keys, the dealership gave a key fob, and 2 extra key blades. the idea was that i would need to ask the dealership to have them detach the key blade on the fob and attach the the key blade with a key ring because of the whole recall BS. Anyways i was wondering if it was possible to just order an extra key fob online and somehow make it work with the extra keys with w/o fobs i have?
Old 01-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisco22 View Post
Here is my question, i have both my keys currently but the Key Fob has broken .. The unlock button on BOTH are pushed in and broken Can i just buy a key FOB from online and do this?
try this guy - i bought replacement key fobs for my son for Christmas...
http://www.keyless-remotes.com/
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:01 PM   #8
DirectorOfRisk

Drives: AOM 2SS RS LS3
Hi folks,

I have the following problem: I bought a car and it has only one key. I therefore decided to get a new one and programmed it with the help of the existing transmitter. The car showed then "3 transmitters programmed" or something like that. Of course I would like to delete now the transmitter which I do not have.

How can I delete a specific recognised transmitter?

I tried out the method above but because all the fobs I have are recognised the procedure is not working.

Can you help me?

Thanks

Robert
DirectorOfRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:47 AM   #9
Wvallediego

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 RS SS
This is all great info!!!

I have one question for the creator of this post. Who cut your keys? (the Dealer)?
Wvallediego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #10
Wvallediego

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 RS SS
well, i used a combination of techniques but i am not sure it which one worked. I say, give all this place a try. I saved myself so much money. thank you GIturr14.
Wvallediego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #11
-Im.z2ight-

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS "Diablo"
Who did the key cutting for you?
-Im.z2ight- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:21 AM   #12
j.curt

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I just installed a turbo in my car. I have had the battery disconnected for almost 3 weeks now. Hooked the battery back up tonight and the car will not even try to start. I got the same theft deterrent light. I haven't tried the steps listed yet but what would cause to happen all of a sudden? Is it because the battery was disconnected so long? When the car is in the on mode, the check engine symbol is very dim and flickers very fast.

If the steps above do not work, what else can be done?
j.curt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key, programming, replacement