Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
VroomVroom

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
ARGH. SOMEONE (tow truck driver/shop worker) lost my 2010 Camaro flippy key- help?

Long story short- was having too much fun at the track, someone smashed into my Camaro. No problem, good insurance and not my fault. At good body shop, gets repaired- after repairs complete, won't start- shop A has it towed to shop B (both of which I use regularly).

SOMEONE, whether the tow truck driver or someone at shop B LOST the set of keys I gave them with the car! And instead of calling me immediately, they ordered a new set- which I specifically did not want because I like the original flippy key, not the dumb recall one that doesn't fold up- I'm a girl and the flippy one actually fits into my jeans pocket.

So my question: I still have my spare flippy key. If they replaced my lost flippy key (which also had my garage key on it, grrrr) with the new non-flippy key, will my old flippy key work, or has the car been reprogrammed not to use that key now? If it HAS been reprogrammed, is there any way to go back to using my flippy key?

I'm sure there are people with worse problems out there, but I really liked that key style, and have declined the recall key multiple times now and shop B KNOWS that... suggestions??? Surely I can add my spare flippy key to the new keys they've programmed, right???
VroomVroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Your old spare flippy key will work just fine. They will cut the new key based off the car VIN.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
What SlingShot just said. The key is the key. Even if you lost both and ordered two new, they're be the same program and the same key. To change it completely, they would have to change the entire ignition switch and reprogram the car.

I just ordered a second key for my BMW and they just needed the VIN number, copy of my license, and copy of my registration to prove it is my car. Key was cut and programmed per the VIN number.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
no worries, keys are programmed and cut to the car, not the other way around. Your old key will work, unless they went WAY OVER BAORD and installed new lock and ignition, not likely.

BTW, stick with the track days. I love them. Cant wait to get another car.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #5
VroomVroom

Oh good, this makes me very happy. And don't worry, I have no intention of giving up track time! In fact, my car should be done November 6th, tech inspection Nov 11, and then back to the track Nov 14-15! But ALWAYS with track insurance!

Thank you all for the key knowledge!
Old 10-31-2015, 03:53 AM   #6
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
So my question: I still have my spare flippy key. If they replaced my lost flippy key (which also had my garage key on it, grrrr) with the new non-flippy key, will my old flippy key work, or has the car been reprogrammed not to use that key now?
Assuming you have your car back at home now... have you tried your old "flippy key" to see if it works? That should answer your question.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
We lovingly refer to our flippy keys as switchblades, while the NHTSA thinks of them as a cause of death because everyone can turn the key off while driving....and that has never happened in all the history of man kind on automobiles designed before.... and no one has ever over loaded their key rings with so much crap it turned them off, or ruined the keyway to the point where the keys even fall out........Let alone make a key big enough to it with your knee......

Yes things that common sense used to dictate and was common knowledge nowadays is determined by big government saving the innocents rather than their being informed or having common sense, like we are all ignorant snot nosed valley girls kind of like our president treats us. Oh did I rant... LOL You see one persons switchblade key is anothers deadly weapon.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
VroomVroom

I was actually somewhat surprised that I was able to refuse the recall- the guy I bought the car from warned me about it and told me not to do it if I liked the switchblade style. I am not afraid of death by flippy key.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #9
mastercarp

Drives: 15' 2LT/RS Vert. Red Hot Born:1/26
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
We lovingly refer to our flippy keys as switchblades, while the NHTSA thinks of them as a cause of death because everyone can turn the key off while driving....and that has never happened in all the history of man kind on automobiles designed before.... and no one has ever over loaded their key rings with so much crap it turned them off, or ruined the keyway to the point where the keys even fall out........Let alone make a key big enough to it with your knee......

Yes things that common sense used to dictate and was common knowledge nowadays is determined by big government saving the innocents rather than their being informed or having common sense, like we are all ignorant snot nosed valley girls kind of like our president treats us. Oh did I rant... LOL You see one persons switchblade key is anothers deadly weapon.
Preach Brother, Preach..............
mastercarp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key, key program, recall key