Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
2nastySS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS, '94 Camaro Z/28
Angry ***KEY/FOB NEED HELP ASAP***

OK. So my one and only key and key fob (old switchblade style, never did the recall)I have for my 2010 SS. The unlock button on the fob has been worn down and finally collapsed leaving a hole in the fob where the unlock button should be. Went to go play football for an hr or so and it rained, getting some water inside the fob.

I go to start my car and it won't start. Not even try and crank over. My battery isn't dead I'm getting normal voltage from the gauges so it's not the car battery. I can turn key into the "ON" position and use the radio, windows, wipers, lights, etc with no issue but can't start the car. I get no fault codes or anti theft message on the DIC and I also notice when putting the ignition in "ON" that the only light that won't go away is the immobilizer system light.

So the only thought I have is that water messed something up in the key fob and because of that tripped the immobilizer. I dry it out with paper towels and air and after a while the car finally starts so I go straight home.

I get a blank key/fob from a buddy of mine and try the reprogram instructions provided at the beginning of this thread (nothing happened after cycling on/off with unlock button held and both fob batteries are fresh) as well as reading and trying every single post in this thread, nothing worked. Note I am only using the one key I have, and even pulled the battery out of the old fob to see if the old fob was interfering with the new one somehow.

I called the Chevy dealer and they told me that if the fob gets damaged it cannot send a signal to the car and will engage the immobilizer system so the car can't be started with just the key without the fob programmed to it.

I can't think of anything else to fix this and don't want to pay out the @$$ for the dealer to cut and program me a new key, on the possibility that isn't even the problem.

Any advice or help is much appreciated because I am beyond frustrated at why I can't get this issue resolved with all the resources I've seen here on the forums. Car currently will not start.

JBA Titanium Ceramic Longtubes / K&N Typhoon CAI / Magnaflow catless true straightpipes / Dark Argent Heritage Grille/black lower
The list keeps growing faster than my wallet...

Last edited by 2nastySS; 06-27-2017 at 08:23 PM.
2nastySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
2nastySS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS, '94 Camaro Z/28
Pic of tach with immobilizer light on
Attached Images

JBA Titanium Ceramic Longtubes / K&N Typhoon CAI / Magnaflow catless true straightpipes / Dark Argent Heritage Grille/black lower
The list keeps growing faster than my wallet...
2nastySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:56 PM   #3
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Put the key in with the new fob. 2-turn key to run Position (first setting where you are not trying to start car but everything comes on). Let it sit for 10 minutes. 3-turn it back to the off position. Repeat this process 3 times. Should help.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #4
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Here is a quick video on the procedure

Tags
fob, key, program