Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
MikeLA2011ss

Drives: 2011 TT 416ci Camaro
Supercharging advice

What's up everyone, so I am going with a centrifigal supercharger set up, I keep hearing the weak point in an ls3 is the valves, what is the max psi or max hp an ls3 can run safely? I hear 12 psi and under all the time, I also hear no more then 650 hp and psi doesn't matter... I already have full bolt ons
MikeLA2011ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Weak part is the connecting rods and high compression with weak pistons.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
I have a ProCharger installed and although the engine IAT's and all were good, engine still cracked up inside this past week. Only, took 1 1/2 months. We used all brand new top of the line accessories in the heads. Medium size custom grind 3 pin. blower CAM and still kaboom.
Word of advice; Save yourself some serious stress and stay stock or forge the engine first, then get a supercharger or figure out a way to go no more than 5psi. of boost (seems pretty useless to go that low though).
I ran 7.5psi. at 6400rpm. which is very modest (rarely hit more than 4500rpm.), and as you know centris provide boost based on RPM's. Upon inspetion so far a bent valve, now need to tear down the entire engine to figure out what went wrong. Not good at all.
Everyone believed this LS3 engine could handle <10psi. yet lot's of stories of cracked up engines. The only guys that don't have busted engines are the ones that bored them to 416ci. or 427ci. and forged the internals.
I thought I could have things done well below the 10psi. and wait until next spring to have engine stroked and forged.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #4
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
Weak part is the connecting rods and high compression with weak pistons.
What he said and add in pump gas as well... Look around before you make a decision... First thing I would do is forge the bottom end, then save for a fuel system and humongous intercooler.. then get the s/c

compression, iat's, pump gas and lean conditions ... you should do reserch on all that

a meth kit will help
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLA2011ss View Post
What's up everyone, so I am going with a centrifigal supercharger set up, I keep hearing the weak point in an ls3 is the valves, what is the max psi or max hp an ls3 can run safely? I hear 12 psi and under all the time, I also hear no more then 650 hp and psi doesn't matter... I already have full bolt ons
Moved to V8 Forced Induction ... might get you a few more replies than Camaro5 Fest discussions
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
I have a ProCharger installed and although the engine IAT's and all were good, engine still cracked up inside this past week. Only, took 1 1/2 months. .

If this was on the stock rotating assembly, you were pushing some serious horsepower through it. I`m not suprised something let go at that power level. Sorry it happened to you, definetly sucks.

To the OP stay around 550rwhp and you should be fine on the stock motor, but boost is a finicky animal, some stay together for a long time, others die early.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..

Last edited by GMRULZ; 07-18-2011 at 06:42 AM.
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
honeybucket99

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM CAMARO BEAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
I have a ProCharger installed and although the engine IAT's and all were good, engine still cracked up inside this past week. Only, took 1 1/2 months. We used all brand new top of the line accessories in the heads. Medium size custom grind 3 pin. blower CAM and still kaboom.
Word of advice; Save yourself some serious stress and stay stock or forge the engine first, then get a supercharger or figure out a way to go no more than 5psi. of boost (seems pretty useless to go that low though).
I ran 7.5psi. at 6400rpm. which is very modest (rarely hit more than 4500rpm.), and as you know centris provide boost based on RPM's. Upon inspetion so far a bent valve, now need to tear down the entire engine to figure out what went wrong. Not good at all.
Everyone believed this LS3 engine could handle <10psi. yet lot's of stories of cracked up engines. The only guys that don't have busted engines are the ones that bored them to 416ci. or 427ci. and forged the internals.
I thought I could have things done well below the 10psi. and wait until next spring to have engine stroked and forged.
Damn, I hate to hear that; silver lining is you get to rebuild now and make more power. I know those are hollow thoughts at present, but hope you get it put back together sooner rather than later.
2010 CGM 2SS/RS; 418 stroker; JE Forged Pistons (offset wrist pin); Forged Crank; upgraded valvetrain; Custom Comp Cams Cam; Kenne Bell 2.8; ID 1000s; Aeromotive Fuel pump with return; ARH Long Tubes; Spec heavy duty clutch; 3" Magnaflow Cat Back; Nick Williams 102 mm Throttle Body; Tune fixed by Dave Steck; 815 HP and 14 mpg

Upcoming--
Disintegrated drivetrain;
Divorce if/when my wife catches on to
my addiction
honeybucket99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLA2011ss View Post
Hello Mike, I have a ton of Experience with Centrifugal Supercharging using Vortech Superchargers since the early 90s.

We currently have an LS3 Stock Long block that puts down 800 RWHP on 100 octane unleaded race fuel, owned by Bigdog.

Vortech YSI supercharger
Vortech optional Cog drive
JRE Rough Idle blower cam
2 inch long tube headers
Magnaflow 3 inch exhaust.
1000 cc Injector Dynamics injectors
ADM dual fuel pump system
JRE custom Tuning.

Centrifugal superchargers are Easier on Parts as the boost is Linear with Engine RPM.

We have Hundreds of supercharged cars running around with 6-10 PSI for years and years drag racing and daily street driving.

Give me a call and I will Hook you up, I have a Polished V3 Vortech system in stock.

GQ4life has about 40,000 miles on his and He is NOT easy on it by any means

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
gl2filmerguy

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Hello Mike, I have a ton of Experience with Centrifugal Supercharging using Vortech Superchargers since the early 90s.

We currently have an LS3 Stock Long block that puts down 800 RWHP on 100 octane unleaded race fuel, owned by Bigdog.

Vortech YSI supercharger
Vortech optional Cog drive
JRE Rough Idle blower cam
2 inch long tube headers
Magnaflow 3 inch exhaust.
1000 cc Injector Dynamics injectors
ADM dual fuel pump system
JRE custom Tuning.

Centrifugal superchargers are Easier on Parts as the boost is Linear with Engine RPM.

We have Hundreds of supercharged cars running around with 6-10 PSI for years and years drag racing and daily street driving.

Give me a call and I will Hook you up, I have a Polished V3 Vortech system in stock.

GQ4life has about 40,000 miles on his and He is NOT easy on it by any means

Ted.
Everytime I read horror stories, I think " Theres no way I'm boosting my Camaro now." Then you reassure me again thats it's ok to do it, just do it right lol. Thanks Ted!
gl2filmerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yeah boosting is scaring me away from it. I may just go longtube headers and LS3 conversion with 3 bolt CAM and call it a day.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Yeah boosting is scaring me away from it. I may just go longtube headers and LS3 conversion with 3 bolt CAM and call it a day.
Don't Be Scared, when done Properly it is as Reliable as any other factory car on the road.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Don't Be Scared, when done Properly it is as Reliable as any other factory car on the road.
when you say "properly", does that include being forged? or are you saying this based on a stock bottom end? i also am looking forward to a modest amout of boost at some point, so i am reading more and more about it. thanks.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
when you say "properly", does that include being forged? or are you saying this based on a stock bottom end? i also am looking forward to a modest amout of boost at some point, so i am reading more and more about it. thanks.
Not necessarily, it depends on power goals, in this Case NO.

Modest boost is 6-8 PSI which could net you 500-550 RWHP Easy and Reliably.

We built hundreds of Stock Bottom end Supercharger packages over the last 20 years.

Ted.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
i ts picking a good combination and having realistic goals.... Then having Confidence in your tuner and his goal..... Some are in it for sheer Horsepower numbers others have your cars health in mind....and a few rare ones balance both... At the end of the day ....stick to what you said .... dont add anything else and Trust your tuner....You start tweaking without him ......and your begging for it..... This winter Ill be taking the next step and forging and Once again going to my tuner for his magic touch

Brian
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote