Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 04-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
VIR on Nov 4th

Hooked on driving is doing a track day at VIR on Nov 4th.
Click here for the HOD web site.
I am all set to go. I will be driving to VIR on Sunday and stay at the Lodge on site at VIR. Run the track at VIR on Monday and then drive home.
Anyone want to join in on the fun?

Last edited by Top Thrill; 10-16-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: New date
Top Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Thrill View Post
Hooked on driving is doing a track day at VIR on May 6th.
Click here for the HOD web site.
I am all set to go. I will be driving to VIR on Sunday and stay at the Lodge on site at VIR. Run the track at VIR on Monday and then drive home.
Anyone want to join in on the fun?
I would love to go but I have unavoidable work obligations that day.

I am actually thinking of going down for the event on May 5th - drive down Sat night and come back Sun night. Not sure yet.

Let us know how it goes? Sounds like the 6th will be a blast.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I just might do that.

A dream come true!
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Quote:
Originally Posted by amz View Post
I just might do that.

A dream come true!
It will be a day that you WILL remember for a very very very long time.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
I would love to go but I have unavoidable work obligations that day.

I am actually thinking of going down for the event on May 5th - drive down Sat night and come back Sun night. Not sure yet.

Let us know how it goes? Sounds like the 6th will be a blast.
Sorry to hear you can't make it. I will try to get some good pics and video and post them up.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
SSSoon

for track newbies

This is a cut and paste from what I put up on a different thread. Just in case any folks are thinking of going who have never been to the track before, some ideas on what you might do to prepare:

If you have not been to the track before, I would suggest that you might want to do a little research so that you have some ideas of what to do when you get there. You won't be able to do it all but doing some will prepare you.

#1: Buy the book "Going Faster: Mastering the Art of Race Driving" by Danny Sullivan. Read the first 4 chapters. You will learn a ton.

#2. Watch some videos of people going around VIR. Below is a video from a real pro (the guy who organizes the National Corvette Museum runs at VIR) hitting the track. Watch where his car is as he goes around the track. It really matters where he is on the left, on the right, etc. Watch each corner. Each corner is different.

You won't be going as fast as he is, but it's a great video.

#3. Print out a map of VIR (I think we are looking at the "Full Course") and memorize it. I am serious. Memorize the damn thing. Then go back to the video above and watch it until you know exactly what turn he is in or approaching at every moment. The LAST thing you want to be thinking when you are on the track is, "I wonder what comes next?". You want to KNOW what is going to come around the next bend so you can be in the right position.

#4. Get a good racing simulator app that has VIR in it. I bought "rFactor" for $30 and a cheap racing wheel. Go around the virtual track (in a virtual Camaro if you want!) until you know what comes next, and you can get your car in the right position for each turn (see the video above or my video to recap where to be at each turn).

Here are some links on preparing your car for a day at the track:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/preparing.html

Down at the bottom of that page are a BUNCH of useful pages on driving technique, etc.

Now, having said that, on my first day at the track, I did NONE OF THE ABOVE and spent the day wondering what the hell I was doing while a stack of angry Vettes sat on my tail and I had to wave them all past. It wasn't a disaster but it was very stressful and hard to figure out what I should be doing. I post the above because I really wish I had done at least some of the above before my first track day. Would have made my day so much better.

Pete

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
BehePerformance

Drives: Camaro
VIR is an awesome track, possibly my favorite on the east coast. Have fun and be safe. We'll be there May 9th competing in this year's OLOA.
BehePerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
This is a cut and paste from what I put up on a different thread. Just in case any folks are thinking of going who have never been to the track before, some ideas on what you might do to prepare:

If you have not been to the track before, I would suggest that you might want to do a little research so that you have some ideas of what to do when you get there. You won't be able to do it all but doing some will prepare you.

#1: Buy the book "Going Faster: Mastering the Art of Race Driving" by Danny Sullivan. Read the first 4 chapters. You will learn a ton.

#2. Watch some videos of people going around VIR. Below is a video from a real pro (the guy who organizes the National Corvette Museum runs at VIR) hitting the track. Watch where his car is as he goes around the track. It really matters where he is on the left, on the right, etc. Watch each corner. Each corner is different.

You won't be going as fast as he is, but it's a great video.

#3. Print out a map of VIR (I think we are looking at the "Full Course") and memorize it. I am serious. Memorize the damn thing. Then go back to the video above and watch it until you know exactly what turn he is in or approaching at every moment. The LAST thing you want to be thinking when you are on the track is, "I wonder what comes next?". You want to KNOW what is going to come around the next bend so you can be in the right position.

#4. Get a good racing simulator app that has VIR in it. I bought "rFactor" for $30 and a cheap racing wheel. Go around the virtual track (in a virtual Camaro if you want!) until you know what comes next, and you can get your car in the right position for each turn (see the video above or my video to recap where to be at each turn).

Here are some links on preparing your car for a day at the track:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/preparing.html

Down at the bottom of that page are a BUNCH of useful pages on driving technique, etc.

Now, having said that, on my first day at the track, I did NONE OF THE ABOVE and spent the day wondering what the hell I was doing while a stack of angry Vettes sat on my tail and I had to wave them all past. It wasn't a disaster but it was very stressful and hard to figure out what I should be doing. I post the above because I really wish I had done at least some of the above before my first track day. Would have made my day so much better.

Pete

Thanks for the insight Pete. I have been looking at some videos but you make some very good points. I am still hoping you will somehow be able to make it out for this event. I know it probably won't work out but it would be so much fun.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Thrill View Post
Thanks for the insight Pete. I have been looking at some videos but you make some very good points. I am still hoping you will somehow be able to make it out for this event. I know it probably won't work out but it would be so much fun.
Believe me, May 6th looks like a much better deal than May 5th with Trackdaze, but my schedule is pretty locked in for that Monday. I would love to go but there's just no way I could make it on the 6th. Rats.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Only 5 days left! HOD still has spots open.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

You still have time to signup for this. So come on and get in on the fun!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:52 AM   #12
SSSoon

So did you end up going? I got stuck in DC till 10pm Saturday night and gave up on trying to get to Danville for Sunday May 5th.

New target is to run with a Mustang SVT club on May 25/26.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

The new date of Nov 4th is just around the corner. I can't wait.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
Synner

Drives: cars
My car will be in pieces for most of November but I'm down for the first spring run whenever that turns out to be.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote