Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
Victor_SS
 
Drives: Grey Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Posts: 27
Whipple SS or zl1?

Hey guys, so I currently own a 2010 SS. My plan has been to do a Whipple Supercharger on it. I have been looking around for a ZL1 though and I found a good deal for a 2015 ZL1. What do you guys think is a better choice power wise and price wise? ZL1 is going for $43k. Iím assuming about $20-$30k into the ss after all mods and tuning are done. Thanks for any feedback!
Victor_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
QUICRNU

 
QUICRNU's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS A6
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,100
ZL1, but you can find them cheaper than 43k.

Hell you can buy my car for 40
__________________
2010 ABM A6 w/Mojave seats!

584 RWHP / 520 RWTQ

Build Thread - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481043
QUICRNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Moreair1

 
Moreair1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,210
To install a whipple should be no where near 30k even with clutch and fuel plus zl1 rear end, and I ha e seen zl1s for mid 30s
__________________
Cai intake and a few other mods😎
Moreair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
Victor_SS
 
Drives: Grey Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Posts: 27
I have seen some ZL1s in the 30s range. Just not in my area.
Victor_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
Moreair1

 
Moreair1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,210
And if you any good with working on cars have you considered installing it your self? You will save alot of $$$
__________________
Cai intake and a few other mods😎
Moreair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
cc-rider

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,026
I agree that the Whipple will be nowhere near $20-$30k. And if it is...you're being ripped off. Install it yourself if you've got any mechanical skills. I put on my Kenne Bell in my garage with basic hand tools and about 30ish hours. And I think the Whipple is a bit easier yet because of the front inlet vs the rear of the KB.

All that being said...the ZL1 is tough to beat. You get so much more than just the LSA engine there. The bulletproof iron differential....bigger axles....bigger driveshaft. Mag ride suspension. It's just a superior beast all the way around. And I've seen highly modified 700 rwhp ZL1's for sale for low $30's.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #7
Victor_SS
 
Drives: Grey Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: California
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc-rider View Post
I agree that the Whipple will be nowhere near $20-$30k. And if it is...you're being ripped off. Install it yourself if you've got any mechanical skills. I put on my Kenne Bell in my garage with basic hand tools and about 30ish hours. And I think the Whipple is a bit easier yet because of the front inlet vs the rear of the KB.

All that being said...the ZL1 is tough to beat. You get so much more than just the LSA engine there. The bulletproof iron differential....bigger axles....bigger driveshaft. Mag ride suspension. It's just a superior beast all the way around. And I've seen highly modified 700 rwhp ZL1's for sale for low $30's.
Yeah that was my mindset too. The ZL1 comes Supercharger ready. Ontop of the fact that i go up from there too.
Victor_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
G701LE

 
G701LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IBM silver stipes
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: K.C. Kansas
Posts: 1,335
ZL1.......
__________________
2010 Imperial Blue w/ Silver stripes 2SS/RS L99

Mods = Not enough....
G701LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #9
Scotty D
 
Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Boston mass
Posts: 722
Yea , I’d go ZL1 .. I love my 2014 1LE . If I was in the market .. Right now .. ZL1-1LE ..
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #10
hesster
 
hesster's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 347
I also have a 2010 SS, and went the Whipple route, and had it installed and dyno tuned. If you just go with the supercharger and tune and have it installed I would think it would be in the $8K range.
To really obtain the awesome potential of a Whipple Blower it really makes sense to add a BTR blower cam, springs, retainers, timing chain, rocker upgrade, etc to make some killer power. That will add about $2+K more.
That got me to about 700 HP in the Engine and 632 Dyno'd RWHP with a 4.0 pully and a MILD tune that is easy on the stock engine internals.
Then with that kind of power ya gotta do some suspension work to try to put that level of power to the ground, avoid wheel hop, and add some durability, as it will fry the snot out of any Meats you may put on the car at any speed.
So yeah - to do it right spending $20K or so is realistic and you will have a ride that has more power than a stock ZL1 and will handle just as well, but the trade off is installing all of the mods or paying someone to do it versus buying something ready to go.
As always it is a personal decision. I considered buying a ZL1 ready to go when I retired, but I love to wrench and Mod so that was the route I went and prob spent less $$ in doing so, and had a lot of fun in doing so.
Attached Images
   
hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #11
gm2376
 
gm2376's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Macomb Twp, MI
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
I also have a 2010 SS, and went the Whipple route, and had it installed and dyno tuned. If you just go with the supercharger and tune and have it installed I would think it would be in the $8K range.
To really obtain the awesome potential of a Whipple Blower it really makes sense to add a BTR blower cam, springs, retainers, timing chain, rocker upgrade, etc to make some killer power. That will add about $2+K more.
That got me to about 700 HP in the Engine and 632 Dyno'd RWHP with a 4.0 pully and a MILD tune that is easy on the stock engine internals.
Then with that kind of power ya gotta do some suspension work to try to put that level of power to the ground, avoid wheel hop, and add some durability, as it will fry the snot out of any Meats you may put on the car at any speed.
So yeah - to do it right spending $20K or so is realistic and you will have a ride that has more power than a stock ZL1 and will handle just as well, but the trade off is installing all of the mods or paying someone to do it versus buying something ready to go.
As always it is a personal decision. I considered buying a ZL1 ready to go when I retired, but I love to wrench and Mod so that was the route I went and prob spent less $$ in doing so, and had a lot of fun in doing so.
Sorry to hijack!
nice build! where in Michigan are you?
__________________
ZL1 10 spokes,LS3 Conversion,ECS Supercharger, BTR Trunion Upgrade, B&M Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 3600 Triple Disc TC,Katech Ported Heads, Rod Mod Intake, Comp Stage 3 cam,ATI Super Dampner, Pfadt Springs, Pfadt front and rear sway bars,Pfadt Trailing arms and toe rods,ZL1 rear diff, SW Long Tubes no cats,Bo White Throttle Body, Dr Phil Tune,GHL Cat back, Elite Catch Can, 20% Tint all around
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

 
JANNETTYRACING's Avatar
 
Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ON THE DYNO WATERBURY CT.
Posts: 13,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_SS View Post
Hey guys, so I currently own a 2010 SS. My plan has been to do a Whipple Supercharger on it. I have been looking around for a ZL1 though and I found a good deal for a 2015 ZL1. What do you guys think is a better choice power wise and price wise? ZL1 is going for $43k. Iím assuming about $20-$30k into the ss after all mods and tuning are done. Thanks for any feedback!
Do you want to go Drag Racing or Road Racing?

Drag Racing SS

Road Racing ZL-1

Look up 94guy We just set and new SBE L99 record at 9.46 146

Ted.
__________________
www.jannettyracing.com
Celebrating 32 years Performance parts, Installation, Fabrication, Dyno tuning, Remote custom tuning, and alignments. 203-753-7223 Waterbury CT. 06705
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #13
bayarea408
 
bayarea408's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' 2SS RS L99
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 551
if you can pocket it, the ZL1 is a purdy package.....

ZL1's come ready to jam.
__________________
2010 2SS/RS -Huron Single Turbo Precision 76/75 cea
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #14
robrocketanski
 
robrocketanski's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1 Convertible Auto
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ferndale, Michigan
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post
Sorry to hijack!
nice build! where in Michigan are you?
I agree, nice looking car.


I would go ZL1, just more to work with. If you ever plan on trying to get more power you can keep going with the ZL1.
__________________
LS3 intake and throttle body, Huron Speed Products twin turbo with 6265 oil less turbos, and 3" header back, JRE smooth cam, ID1300, Fore dual 450lph pumps with MSD voltage booster, A6, 325/45/17 M&H Racemaster
robrocketanski is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
supercharger, whipple, zl1

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.