Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
DIY ceramic coating musing

So a week or two ago I applied McKee's 37 Paint Coating. There's a number of these DIY ceramic coating products out there and I have no idea how one stacks up against another, but that's the one I went with.

As this product is essentially a sealant, I performed a more or less full detail of the finish even though my car was new from the dealership. This consisted of a thorough cleaning, clay bar, polishing, and another thorough cleaning to remove all polish residue. The manufacturer recommends another step or two, which I didn't do since the car was new.

The application was pretty straightforward and similar to the application of other paint sealants. There were some differences. One is you have a relatively short working time from the point of first application to smothing the product with the applicator to buffing the excess off. This isn't really a problem provided you work in small areas, but the problem comes in with areas that get oversprayed that you don't buff off. I have a few areas where this happened and once the product cures there's no buffing it off. So I'll have to go back and polish these areas off and reapply the product. It wouldn't be an issue with a light colored car, but mine is black so these areas show. Another problem I have is with my windows which received overspray and I didn't buff off, so now the windows have unbuffed product on them which I'll have to deal with. I bought their glass coating product so I'll address that in due time.

As far as performance goes a couple of weeks in, I'm completely satisfied so far. It turns washing the car into a completely touch free operation. I apply shampoo with a foam canon, let it sit for a few minutes, and rinse with the power washer using my spot free setup.

Nothing seems to stick to the coating so dirt comes off easily and water beads off like nothing I've ever seen. The manufacturer advertises the product lasts 2 years. Time will tell on that. I garage my car both at home and work so I'm optimistic this will be the case. I've heard good things about Reload, so I've got some of that to use as a monthly or so refresh.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I would look to see what mckees has, as a refresh topper… I'm just a believer that the same manufacturer products go together better when you're layering…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
dfwcowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I would look to see what mckees has, as a refresh topper… I'm just a believer that the same manufacturer products go together better when you're layering…
There's undoubtedly a lot of logic to that. Personally I've mixed and matched manufacturer's products so long as the basic chemistry is the same. Since both products are using the same basic ingredient, I don't anticipate any issues, but I'll report back if I do.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
dfwcowboy

One thing I couldn't find on the manufacturer's web site is whether the product can be layered or not or if I'd even want to do so. I know that professional jobs often apply many coats, but I'm not sure how much different those products are.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
Glen e

Bob McKee is a real live person, you can probably write him through auto geek .
Old 07-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #6
dfwcowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Bob McKee is a real live person, you can probably write him through auto geek .
Good idea. I've actually been a customer of his for many years and have always had good luck with his products.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
Glen e

I just don't have the gumption anymore To do a true coating, but love his 10 minute paint sealant, that's what's on my car now.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #8
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
I applied the McKee's as well. Looks great and application was straight forward. McKee's says to use their Hydro Blue coating over the top. Which is what I do. Mine has been on about a month.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote