Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #309
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
I just bought a Cable Porter orbital polisher - the one recommended by Moose in this thread. I used it today for the first time and was wondering if you could give a quick tutorial for dummies - never used one before. I used it to remove Zaino polish, not apply it.

If there's a thread on this, sorry, i didn't see it.

Thanks!
Michael J.
Bump?
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #310
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter713 View Post
I assume this is in regards to the polish? (This further assumes that the car is wash in a traditional fashion, with a bucket of soap diluted with water)

For doors/fenders/bumpers, each full panel at once or split it midway up the door/fender/bumper?
Answer to first; method applies to applying and removal of polish.

Answer to second; I do the entire panel at once. And a dime sized dollop of Zaino is enough for each panel.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #311
Moose

Quote:
Bump?
Michael,

I'm still get used to using mine.

The only advice I can offer is to always use the proper pad, make sure they're entirely CLEAN, and use minimal pressure in using them.

I do not use mine when using Zaino. But I've used it in detailing cars, whose customers request other brands, and it's very simple to use.
- select the proper pad
- apply polish in an "X" pattern
- turn on polisher WHILE PRESSED AGAINST PAINT SURFACE , select proper speed, and polish, moving the buffer across the surface.
- be careful around any black plastic trim, ie; window edges

Hope that helps a little?
Ed
Old 10-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #312
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Yes, thanks Ed!

Why don't you use one with Zaino?

Thanks,
Michael J.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #313
shooter713

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS-2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Answer to first; method applies to applying and removal of polish.

Answer to second; I do the entire panel at once. And a dime sized dollop of Zaino is enough for each panel.
Let's say I've had my car for about 6 weeks and haven't yet washed the car more than spraying it with water --- should I wash now even though my Zaino products probably won't be here for a couple days?

Maybe it'd be better if you just posted a demo video, Moose!
shooter713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #314
Moose

Quote:
Yes, thanks Ed!

Why don't you use one with Zaino?

Thanks,
Michael J.
When using Zaino, it's recommended that you apply and remove the polish by the following method;

Hood, roof, trunk - front to back
Sides, front and rear bumper - top to bottom

I know it has something to do with the way light will refract off of the Zainoed surfaces, improveing shine, etc.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #315
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter713 View Post
Let's say I've had my car for about 6 weeks and haven't yet washed the car more than spraying it with water --- should I wash now even though my Zaino products probably won't be here for a couple days?

Maybe it'd be better if you just posted a demo video, Moose!
Yes! Wash with a good quality car wash. Even though you're not ready to polish, you want to maintain the paint.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #316
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
I'm getting some overspray off the 4th gen. The clay bar is working (in most spots), but very very slowly. Are there any other methods?
Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #317
shooter713

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS-2SS
Washed her real good! Took awhile, just for a wash even. But she looks great! Thanks for all the advice.

Still think you should produce a show-and-tell video, Moose!
Attached Images

shooter713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #318
adamvol

Drives: GMC Sonoma
Ed,

OK. I'm still getting some new swirl marks.

I can't figure out if its the Chenille wash mits or the Zaino towels. I can wash the mits in the washer correct?

The towels are pointless for drying. They are so small you need like 10 of them to dry even with the trick where you hold the hose over the car and let the water come off.

I wish I could find some good quality towels. I dont feel comfortable using a blower.

Black cars show everything!!!
adamvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #319
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvol View Post
Ed,

I can't figure out if its the Chenille wash mits or the Zaino towels. I can wash the mits in the washer correct?

The towels are pointless for drying. They are so small you need like 10 of them to dry even with the trick where you hold the hose over the car and let the water come off.

I wish I could find some good quality towels. I dont feel comfortable using a blower.

Our most popular drying towels include the 24x36 waffle weave drying towel and the p21s super absorbent drying towel.

But for washing, consider adding a grit guard to your wash bucket. Simple design, but they really do help!

Black is tough, but w/ the right wash routine and proper products, you can keep any spiderwebbing down to a minimum
Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #320
Moose

Yes, my friend, you're learning...owning a black car is TOUGH!

Chris brought up a couple of good points, re; a grit guard for your wash bucket, and seeing as the "blonde towels" aren't working, maybe the waffle weave deserve a look.

Also, are you using a separate wash mitt for the lower body portions and wheels?

IMO, black is one of the best looking colors on a car, when its clean. But it comes at a price, ie; alot of work and careful maintenance. I think its worth it.

Oh. I do wash my wash mitts after every 2nd wash. I use detergent, but no fabric softener and always let them air dry.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvol View Post
Ed,

Old 10-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #321
adamvol

Drives: GMC Sonoma
Ed, Chris:

Thanks for the advise. Black is beautiful for sure. I might try guard and some different towels.

Since using Zain I've had so many ppl talk about the finish of the car.

I love Zaino, but I have to figure something else out for drying. I will try different mit for upper and lower.
adamvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #322
Ladyz28

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 2001 Ford Focus
[QUOTE=Moose;752028]
For the interior, I ony use Armor All multi-purpose cleaner to wipe down the plactics, door jambs, etc., and have recently tried Turtle Wax Ice Total Interior, as it works nicely, without leaving any greasy residue/feeling. /QUOTE]

I have been told not to use any armor all on the interior and exterior plastic....as the alcohol in it dries it out and eventually will give off a faded whitish hue. Is this the case? I used the armor all tire foam in the past on my 92 camaro and have dry rot on each tire. They have less than 10k miles on them.

I have been using Mequire's interior detail spray and their tire dressing. No problems so far.

Also,

I have been using a microfiber washing mit and absorbing towel. I haven't noticed any scratching with these, but should i change?
Ladyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote