Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 08:01 PM   #1
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
News: Camaro to be built in Canada

NEWS FROM Globeandmail.com
Canada to build Camaro

GREG KEENAN
15:30 EST Friday, Aug 18, 2006

The Camaro muscle car will roar out of Canada again, General Motors Corp. is set to announce on Monday.

The world's largest auto maker has chosen an assembly plant in Oshawa, Ont., as the site for the rebirth of one of the classic cars of the 1960s and 1970s, sources familiar with the announcement said Friday. The car will go on sale in 2009.

The move is one of two major boosts for the auto maker's Oshawa operations. The other is that a plan to eliminate a shift of production and about 1,000 jobs at one of the company's car plants in that city is being reversed because of strong sales of the Chevrolet Impala mid-sized car, the sources said.

Both pieces of news will bring a major sigh of relief for more than 5,000 members of the Canadian Auto Workers union, who have been worried about their jobs since GM announced in November that it is cutting more than 30,000 jobs in North America and closing several assembly plants in a bid to bring production capacity closer to actual sales.

As a result, sources said, there will likely be no permanent layoffs at the Oshawa plants during the remaining two years of the CAW contract, with any jobs lost likely to be from attrition and productivity improvements.

GM will announce on Monday that it will redevelop its operations in Oshawa to create a flexible manufacturing facility capable of cranking out more than 500,000 vehicles off a rear-wheel-drive platform or basic chassis, industry sources said.
The Camaro will be based on GM's new rear-wheel-drive Zeta platform, which sources said will also include the next version of the Chevrolet Impala, the Cadillac DTS and the Buick Lucerne, sources in Detroit and elsewhere said yesterday.

GM stopped assembling the Camaro and its Pontiac twin, the Firebird, in Ste. Therese, Que., in 2002 amid slumping sales, caused in part by soaring insurance rates and what at the time were thought to be high gas prices.

Gas prices are higher now, but GM is responding to a huge positive reaction it received when it introduced a concept version of the Camaro at an auto show in Detroit in January.

The company expects to be able to sell 100,000 of the cars once full production volume is reached, industry sources said.

The issue of high gas prices will be addressed in part by a system that improves fuel economy by reducing the number of cylinders used when the car is cruising.

Redeveloping Oshawa to turn it into a flexible manufacturing operation capable of producing several models was originally part of the company's $2.5-billion Beacon Project, which included $435-million in financial assistance from the Ontario and federal governments.

It was put on hold after GM announced its restructuring plan in November, which at the time included 3,900 job cuts in Canada.
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said in November that the government would push hard to make sure Oshawa won the mandate to produce a new vehicle.

Sources familiar with Monday's announcement said Mr. McGuinty spoke the next day with then General Motors of Canada Ltd. president Michael Grimaldi. Then the premier and Economic Development Minister Joe Cordiano met with GM officials a week later to push the province's case.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
apcamaro

Drives: 1986 Camaro
Cant turn back now.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Good to see the car will be made in north america. How will this affect delivery times or pricing if at all??
Old 08-20-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I want to say it took about 4 weeks for me to get my car from the time I placed the order. That was for the 02 Z-28. They did not do a search and have it shipped. It was a special order deal. However, due to the new release and all the people wanting to buy one, I'd say it's gonna take quite a bit longer. I couldn't see price being affected, though.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:25 PM   #5
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
won't they be building them in batches? meaning like 20 v-6s' with chrome wheels blah blah blah, then 20 v-6's with out chrome wheels. then 20 z-28 with t-tops and then 20 with out t-tops. . .etc etc etc. just wondering. they will prob build a few 100 before they release them for sale on top of that. then it's just a matter of time before they hit dealers.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:51 PM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Good question. I couldn't tell ya. I would imagine they would build a certain # and then move on to the next type. It only makes sense. Why build 2 Z-28's w/ stick, then 2 w/ auto, then go back to 2 w/ stick? I don't know how the assembly line works, but would imagine they would do 100+ w/ one way, then 100 another way, and just move on down the line to get a wide variety of veh's. I bet they just do a bulk batch of v6 first to get them on the lots to start making cash. Then, they move on to the bigger models. Oh, I hope they offer up the LS7 and make it within my price range!!!...I don't care if I have to wait till mid 09 for that baby...it'll be worth it!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
Aliendude

Drives: 96 Z-28 T-tops
Send a message via AIM to Aliendude Send a message via Yahoo to Aliendude
Thumbs up Production Tours?

Hi all,

I would love to visit the plant .... my friend went to Germany to tour Porscha when he ordered his turbo 911. Just imagine you going to Canada and being the first one to start your new BABY right off the assembly line with the option of having it delivered to your house or just driven away – My biggest problem is deciding between V8 (Z28/Iroc/SS) Coupe or Convert
Old 08-21-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Not to be pessimistic, but I doubt they buid an IROC. SS Coupe will be mine...w/a removable hard top if offered. I'd love to drive it off the line too, but I don't think I'd ever put a good 1,800 miles on it the first two days by driving it all the way back to San Antonio. The drive would be fun as all hell, but I'd be pissed at all the miles. Easy for you guys up north, though!
Old 08-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #9
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Looks like DaveGood broke this news weeks ago!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hp?t=71&page=2
Old 08-21-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
KojackSS

Drives: Alero
Oshawa is a great choice.... just look at the quality that goes into vehicles such as the Impalla's, Grand Prix, Monte Carlo's.... top notch in everything and boat loads of JD gold awards

Plus the lant being a 15min walk away for me hopefully i'll get a job there!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:03 PM   #11
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
http://email.gmcanada.com/corpdb/cac...3?OpenDocument

GM announces that the Chevrolet Camaro will be "Made in Canada" - New C$740 million investment brings recent GM Canada total to over $3 billion

Oshawa, Ontario (Monday, August 21, 2006) - General Motors of Canada Limited (GMCL) President Arturo Elias announced today that the Oshawa car plant has been selected to manufacture one of GM’s most celebrated new vehicles - the Chevrolet Camaro. The Oshawa plant will build the new Camaro, with early production versions at the end of 2008, with start of sales in the first quarter of 2009. This new product program and conversion of the Oshawa plant to a state of the art flexible manufacturing facility represents a C$740 million investment, with preparatory work beginning immediately.

The new Camaro is a thoroughly modern interpretation of the 1969 icon. GM has indicated that the production version of the Camaro is going to look almost identical to the “Best in Show” concept vehicle first featured at the Detroit Auto Show earlier this year.

“This important new investment for Oshawa would not have been possible without the strong partnership with the CAW and federal, provincial and local governments” said Mr. Elias. “Oshawa’s selection to build the new Camaro is a tribute to our employees’ reputation for the industry’s best quality and productivity and further evidence of the exciting comeback happening at GM today.”

CAW president Buzz Hargrove said “Earning the mandate for the new Camaro is a huge accomplishment and is due in part to the reputation of our members for producing great quality vehicles. CAW local 222 has really stepped up with an innovative local agreement that contributed to building a viable business case for the Camaro.”

“Today’s announcement is great news for all GM stakeholders in the Durham Region” said Federal Finance Minister and Member of Parliament for Whitby-Oshawa the Honourable Jim Flaherty. “It builds on GM’s broader integrated innovation investment that includes research partnerships with educational institutes across Quebec and Ontario, including the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT).”

“GM’s investment in the Camaro program here in Oshawa proves once again that when government and industry work together, the result is a stronger economy and even more opportunity for Ontario families,” said Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty. “Our province’s strength continues to be our highly skilled workforce and our culture of innovation -- and this new investment proves that.” Ontario Minister of Economic Development and Trade Joe Cordiano continued, saying “This announcement is a vote of confidence in this plant, the skill of its workers and Ontario as a place to invest. It shows we can accomplish great things when we all work together.”

Colin Carrie, Member of Parliament for Oshawa and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Industry, said "Canada offers the essential elements for a vibrant auto industry: strategic location as a gateway to the North American market, and an ideal climate for continued investment. Today's announcement reflects that confidence in our country and our auto industry."

Oshawa Mayor John Gray said “creating a positive investment climate in Oshawa and Durham Region has helped attract important new opportunities like the Camaro program.” Durham Regional Chair Roger Anderson noted “working together to create a competitive local investment environment is the right thing to do for industry.”

The C$740 million investment completes GM Canada’s Beacon project announcement in March 2005 and adds the new Camaro product mandate for Oshawa. This announcement brings GM Canada’s total investment since March 2005 to more than $3 billion.

Headquartered in Oshawa Ontario, General Motors of Canada employs more than 20,000 people nationwide. GM of Canada manufactures a variety of vehicles, engines, transmissions and other components, and markets the full range of General Motors vehicles and related services through 759 dealerships and retailers across Canada. Vehicles sold through this network include Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Hummer, Saab and Cadillac.

Further information
General Motors of Canada Limited
Stew Low
(905) 644-6786

Patty Faith
(905) 644-2728
patty.faith@gm.com
Old 08-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Chevy Camaro will be built in Canada

Jamie LaReau | | Automotive News / August 21, 2006 - 11:36 am / UPDATED: 8/21/06 3:35 P.M.

DETROIT -- General Motors will build the new Chevrolet Camaro at its Oshawa, Ontario, plant. Early production versions of the car will be produced by the end of 2008, with sales starting in the first quarter of 2009.

GM will begin preparing the plant immediately and will invest $740 million Canadian ($657.7 million U.S.) in the program and conversion of the plant to a flexible manufacturing factory, GM said in a statement.

GM chose the Oshawa plant because of its strong relationships with the Canadian Auto Workers and federal, provincial and local governments, said Arturo Elias, president of GM Canada, in a statement. Oshawa also has a reputation for "the industry's best quality and productivity," Elias added.

"Earning the mandate for the new Camaro is a huge accomplishment and is due in part to the reputation of our members for producing great quality vehicles," said Buzz Hargrove, CAW president, in a statement. He said CAW Local 222 has offered an "innovative local agreement" that helped build a viable business case for the Camaro.

GM unveiled a concept version of the Camaro at the Detroit auto show in January. This month, GM said it would build a production version of the vehicle. GM executives say the production vehicle will strongly resemble the concept car.

"The interiors will actually be better on the production version," said GM CEO Rick Wagoner during an event on Friday, Aug. 18.

Wagoner said the goal is to keep the exterior design intact, have a great price point and a great powertrain.

Wagoner declined to say if Pontiac might receive a similar product or perhaps revive the Firebird, but hinted that John Larson, GM's general manager of Buick, Pontiac and GMC, is pushing for it.

"John Larson and I talked about it the other day," Wagoner said, stopping short of committing to any other details of the conversation.

You may e-mail Jamie LaReau at jlareau@crain.com
Old 10-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #13
CanadianCamaro

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM - A.K.A. DA ;)
?HUH?

"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #14
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
News to me!

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."

Closed Thread