Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
ULTRAZLS1


 
ULTRAZLS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 4,152
Lower Control Arms

Is the Spohn pro-drag the only option currently?

They are pricey at 470 shipped (best deal I could find)

Thinking I might buy some to finish off my rear suspension.

Any other companies coming out with some in the near future?

Is this a worthwhile mod?

thanks
__________________
Black 2016 1SS A8 NPP
Drag Pack, CAI, Headers, Mamo Ported MSD Intake, Pray Ported TB, Shrader RSD, E85
Best ET- 10.85 Best Trap- 126.55
490RWHP/487RWTQ

ULTRAZLS1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
RedRyder
 
RedRyder's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS M6 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 470
I think BMR said they'll have some soon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
The final drawings were finished today actually. One more round of testing and then into production if there are no issues. Looks like February would not be out of the question.
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Rob@WretchedMS
 
Drives: His Wife Crazy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Silas Deane Auto,CT Name: Rob Anderson
Posts: 1,791
i doubt BMR will be less than Spohn
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 20,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Is the Spohn pro-drag the only option currently?

They are pricey at 470 shipped (best deal I could find)

Thinking I might buy some to finish off my rear suspension.

Any other companies coming out with some in the near future?

Is this a worthwhile mod?

thanks
Looking at your mod list the BIGGEST BANG for the BUCK mods are missing. NONE of your suspension mods will operate at a high level until you install sub-frame inserts or full sub-frame bushes. Rear end step caused by the rear sub-frame twisting in the OE Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) voids is allowing dynamic changes to the rear alignment in full degrees. Your car is aligned to at minimum tenths of a degree. The rear end is steering your car. When you lowered your car, you put more load on those NVH voided bushes. When you increased RWHP you put more load on those NVH voided bushes.

Rob from Wretched can help you assemble a complete setup plan using the parts you already have to prioritise those you plan to add and in what order. If he doesn't start by addressing sub-frame bushes I'll have to send my buddy Guido from the Southside out to hit him upside the head with his Pedders setup manual

Seriously, PM Rob your phone number so he can discuss this with you in detail. You'll get a lot more bang for the buck consulting with him.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
I think BMR said they'll have some soon:
+1
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
danhr
BAMF SS
 
danhr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ford City, PA
Posts: 2,486
Send a message via AIM to danhr
are you building the car for touring/autocross/road course or drag?

by the looks of your mods i'd say the first.... so why are you looking at the drag oriented control arms?
__________________
2016 1SS Hyper Blue Mettallic NPP A8
Kooks 2" headers, Speed Engineering ORX, Mamo ported MSD Intake, Circle D Converter, Katech 103mm TB, Rotofab CAI, ATI UDP, E85, 15" rear wheel conversion, 3.73s, BMR Differential poly bushings, QA1 driveshaft, Bogart drag pack
danhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...
 
Beyond Limits's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 207
Upgrading the lower control arms is only worth while if your application demands it (drag racing with 600+ rwhp for example). The stock LCA's will work fine for most applications. Really what you should consider far more then control arms is rear cradle bushing inserts. They are a fairly easy install and will make the largest difference in your suspension setup. Based on your other mods you have listed you have most of the upgraded suspension pieces in place already, however you really need to address your foundation which is what the inserts will do. They will also allow you go get the full potential out of the upgrades you already have in place. Get a hold of Chase over at Apex and he can get you going in the right direction.
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 20,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Limits View Post
Based on your other mods you have listed you have most of the upgraded suspension pieces in place already, however you really need to address your foundation which is what the inserts will do. They will also allow you go get the full potential out of the upgrades you already have in place. Get a hold of ROB over at Wretched and he can get you going in the right direction.


I hope you are with a little humor. You are, however, spot on with the inserts or full sub-frame bushes being a foundational component and critical to the OP's build.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Limits View Post
Really what you should consider far more then control arms is rear cradle bushing inserts. They are a fairly easy install and will make the largest difference in your suspension setup. Based on your other mods you have listed you have most of the upgraded suspension pieces in place already, however you really need to address your foundation which is what the inserts will do. They will also allow you go get the full potential out of the upgrades you already have in place. Get a hold of Chase over at Apex and he can get you going in the right direction.
Good observation and excellent recommendation. Locking in the rear cradle is one of the best things you can do to improve the handling of these cars. I appreciate the referral and would be happy to present several options at varying price points that will accomplish this.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...
 
Beyond Limits's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post


I hope you are with a little humor. You are, however, spot on with the inserts or full sub-frame bushes being a foundational component and critical to the OP's build.


Well while I understand you guys make good products, I guess the problem was that I only have Apex, BMR, and Pfadt's phone numbers in my phone so I couldn't put down Rob's information.
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
Rob@WretchedMS
 
Drives: His Wife Crazy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Silas Deane Auto,CT Name: Rob Anderson
Posts: 1,791
lol

Cell 860-880-0486
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Limits View Post


Well while I understand you guys make good products, I guess the problem was that I only have Apex, BMR, and Pfadt's phone numbers in my phone so I couldn't put down Rob's information.
That is all it takes to get these cars handling right!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
ULTRAZLS1


 
ULTRAZLS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Looking at your mod list the BIGGEST BANG for the BUCK mods are missing. NONE of your suspension mods will operate at a high level until you install sub-frame inserts or full sub-frame bushes. Rear end step caused by the rear sub-frame twisting in the OE Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) voids is allowing dynamic changes to the rear alignment in full degrees. Your car is aligned to at minimum tenths of a degree. The rear end is steering your car. When you lowered your car, you put more load on those NVH voided bushes. When you increased RWHP you put more load on those NVH voided bushes.

Rob from Wretched can help you assemble a complete setup plan using the parts you already have to prioritise those you plan to add and in what order. If he doesn't start by addressing sub-frame bushes I'll have to send my buddy Guido from the Southside out to hit him upside the head with his Pedders setup manual

Seriously, PM Rob your phone number so he can discuss this with you in detail. You'll get a lot more bang for the buck consulting with him.
I know they are important. I was just avoiding them because they are more of an involved installation (from looking at it under the car maybe im wrong)

I was also under the impression that lowering the car 1 inch would actually help the launch somewhat and be a good all around mod and also improves the look. Am I off base here?

Lastly...I was concerned with noise and vibrations etc when changing out such a component.

thanks a lot for the advice, I am open to all suggestions.

sounds like the bushings should be my next step.
__________________
Black 2016 1SS A8 NPP
Drag Pack, CAI, Headers, Mamo Ported MSD Intake, Pray Ported TB, Shrader RSD, E85
Best ET- 10.85 Best Trap- 126.55
490RWHP/487RWTQ


Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 01-15-2011 at 12:59 PM.
ULTRAZLS1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
ULTRAZLS1


 
ULTRAZLS1's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jackson, Michigan
Posts: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
are you building the car for touring/autocross/road course or drag?

by the looks of your mods i'd say the first.... so why are you looking at the drag oriented control arms?
Kind of going for an all around good performing machine.

from what I had gathered so far the parts I currently have so far seemed to fit the bill.

The pro drag LCA doesnt change the geometry of the control arm (to my knowledge) and I thought would be a safe mod for both purposes. Sounds like I dont need them yet though.....

thanks
__________________
Black 2016 1SS A8 NPP
Drag Pack, CAI, Headers, Mamo Ported MSD Intake, Pray Ported TB, Shrader RSD, E85
Best ET- 10.85 Best Trap- 126.55
490RWHP/487RWTQ


Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 01-15-2011 at 01:00 PM.
ULTRAZLS1 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Push Start button? CG'sSS Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions 158 06-06-2012 07:27 PM
Pfadt Race Engineering DIY Drop Spring installation procedure PfadtRacing Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 20 09-23-2011 09:31 PM
Rear Lower Control Arms and Rear Toe Links for your 2010-2011 Camaro PFYC Suspension / Chassis / Brakes 0 11-15-2010 03:31 PM
Flywheel Torque Specs? stangspanker V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 19 02-09-2010 09:12 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.