Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
How do you remove "Car Dullness in the paint"

Ok so i just bought me a new DD to take to work and around. For a really good price and low miles, only problem is cosmetic issues, i do know how to buff compound polish wax and all that good stuff, But take a look at the pics and see if this paint "Roof, Trunk" can be helped with buffing to make it shine and basically show room again, i have already tried buffing with my Hexlogic foam pads the trunk, but i still see the spots and i was using speed 6, eventually on my pad i started to see blue/green basically the paint almost, so i stopped, so i am not sure what to do now, and i have ordered Meguiars M101 compound thats suppose to help, so i am hoping to fix this, this weekend. Tips, thoughts are welcomed.

Car at the first sight.

Roof Issue.

After i took it home.

Roof Issue Again.

Trunk.

Passenger Side

Ok so now i need some help getting this baby polished compounded and waxed to a show room shine, What exactly do i need to do to achive this over the weekend.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
The roof and trunk look like the clear coat is actually failing. Especially worrisome if you're getting paint transfer on your pads.

As far as the bubbling on the pillar, that doesn't look fixable.

The rest of the car needs probably 20 hours of compounding and polishing.

Hopefully you got a really good deal on it so that you can afford to get it painted now. That thing is rough. I hope I'm wrong- it's hard to always tell from pictures but I don't think a lot of that is salvageable.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
The roof and trunk look like the clear coat is actually failing. Especially worrisome if you're getting paint transfer on your pads.

As far as the bubbling on the pillar, that doesn't look fixable.

The rest of the car needs probably 20 hours of compounding and polishing.

Hopefully you got a really good deal on it so that you can afford to get it painted now. That thing is rough. I hope I'm wrong- it's hard to always tell from pictures but I don't think a lot of that is salvageable.
I agree except on how much time it would take to polish. With that much clear coat failure, you really only have a half of a car left to polish.

Clear coat failure is when you have, well, when you have what it is on your hood and trunk. Any clear coat paint is made up of 3 parts, after the bare metal, there is primer, base paint, and then a top clear paint to make the car look glossy called the clear coat.

The clear coat can bubble and fail and once that happens, all you can do is try to slow the process down by protecting it with wax/sealant/coating.

There is only one thing that can be done in this case, and that is a repaint. Sorry for the bad news.

I also wouldn't want to use M101 near that. If the clear coat is failing, then the rest of the clear coat on that car is probably very thin. M101 may actually be abrasive enough to start clear coat failure in places where it is not there already.

Sorry for the bad news again.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Agree with the responses above. You bought a beater to preserve your Camaro - so dont worry about a show car shine. Spend your time and money making your Camaro better, dont worry about the DD.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2ssblack View Post
Agree with the responses above. You bought a beater to preserve your Camaro - so dont worry about a show car shine. Spend your time and money making your Camaro better, dont worry about the DD.

The rest of the car is fine, i can wax and polish that, its only trunk and roof that has the clear coat issue, so what is a rough estimate for those 2 parts do you guys know? other than that , its a good, with some polish the rest of the car will come alive, and the plastics too with a good plastic shiner that i got from chemicalguys. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
I had an old 89 Camaro when I was in high school that was in great running order and the interior was perfect but teh outside was almost like this. The roof/trunk of yours looks like how mine did except my clear coat was actually peeling off like plastic. Seems like the only option is a repaint as that is what I was told with mine.

As far as price, that all depends on the shop. Any estimate is going to be a VERY rough estimate as some shops will charge 2000 for something another shop will charge 500 for. Visit your local shops and get some quotes to compare is what I would recommend.
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Looking at the pictures of the roof, it looks like you'll definitely need to have it painted. If that's the case, and you are wanting it to look decent, Maaco is always an option. They don't charge much and it'll look better then that without costing an arm and a leg. Just my opinion.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frid View Post
Looking at the pictures of the roof, it looks like you'll definitely need to have it painted. If that's the case, and you are wanting it to look decent, Maaco is always an option. They don't charge much and it'll look better then that without costing an arm and a leg. Just my opinion.

Screw maaco they suck complete ass. My gfs saturn door got painted and its ever worse now, never ever recommending macoo to anyone. Barf.

Im aiming for a factory match if any not, a worser condition lol.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
Screw maaco they suck complete ass. My gfs saturn door got painted and its ever worse now, never ever recommending macoo to anyone. Barf.

Im aiming for a factory match if any not, a worser condition lol.
To get a decent paint job you're going to be in deeper than it would have cost you to just buy a car with better paint in the first place.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
Hellfighter

Quote:
To get a decent paint job you're going to be in deeper than it would have cost you to just buy a car with better paint in the first place.

Im not looking for complete repaint lol, i just want my roof and trunk.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Im not looking for complete repaint lol, i just want my roof and trunk.
We'll see about that after you get done taking the M101 to the rest

Call around and get some estimates. Will probably be hard to match, but a good body shop will get close enough. I would estimate you could probably get those two panels sprayed for $500-1000

Old 02-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
Hellfighter

Quote:
We'll see about that after you get done taking the M101 to the rest

Call around and get some estimates. Will probably be hard to match, but a good body shop will get close enough. I would estimate you could probably get those two panels sprayed for $500-1000

Would that price include a complete sand down, primer, 1 - 2 coats , clear? Lol whats so bad about M101 foam compound? its meguiars new thing saying its really well for all kinds of paint defects.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Would that price include a complete sand down, primer, 1 - 2 coats , clear? Lol whats so bad about M101 foam compound? its meguiars new thing saying its really well for all kinds of paint defects.
It probably would.

Nothing is bad about m101- it's supposed to be a great aggressive compound. But like Roshan said, if your roof and trunk are that bad, the rest of the clear isn't likely far behind. Taking that heavy cut compound to it could finish off what's left. Maybe not, but worth considering.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Hellfighter

Quote:
It probably would.

Nothing is bad about m101- it's supposed to be a great aggressive compound. But like Roshan said, if your roof and trunk are that bad, the rest of the clear isn't likely far behind. Taking that heavy cut compound to it could finish off what's left. Maybe not, but worth considering.

Well will any compound polish help bring it back at all ? Cause the roof is not bubbly or pealing, the trunk had bubble marks and as u see the side passenger panel is bad as well, the roof feels almost like smooth dull street lamp pole, like how that metal feels. Not sure how to describe better lol