Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
bub

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE & '15 Corvette Z06
$20 Exhaust Mod

Playing around with this before buying a cat back for our project car.

Cut outs and turn downs....obviously also painted factory muffler cans to hide them a bit...

not sure why system keeps flipping this pic..

Frankly I was surprised that it sounds nearly as good as the NPP systems I have retrofitted to Gen 5's in the past.

Guessing flow is like 1/2 thru the muffler and 1/2 thru the cut out at idle and more thru cut-out as flow increases and back-pressure builds in front of muffler with throttle...

Last edited by bub; 07-18-2018 at 10:00 AM.
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #2
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
nice idea, i like
not if we just install the variable cut outs
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
That's essentially how I did mine. Before I was cammed I was perfectly content to keep them open all the time. Now it's louder than ever, and doesn't really like to be cruised under 2,000rpm, so it's SUPER loud. I'm going to order the valves from JEGs so I can have it tame when I want, and wild the rest of the time.
Attached Images

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
That will wake the neighbors when you cruse on in at 2 in the morning .
Old 07-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
That will wake the neighbors when you cruse on in at 2 in the morning .
Yep, that's the sole reason I put QTP cutouts on so I can mute it at 5:00 in the morning when I go to work.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
*BUB, any chance you can upload a sound clip? I am very curious how that sounds, as many of the homegrown ideas tend to turn out pretty damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega View Post
Yep, that's the sole reason I put QTP cutouts on so I can mute it at 5:00 in the morning when I go to work.

I'm worried about this myself.

I have longtubes and Flowmaster Outlaws (which I freaking love), no cats. In 2 weeks I start my new shift, 6am-2:30pm. Which means I have to leave at 4:45am M-F.

The neighbors already give me the stink eye, so they are going to love this.

I would love to design a dual type exhaust system. What I mean by that is, use electric cutouts where one setting is my Outlaws and the other setting is a more refined and quiet muffler setup. Maybe some sort of Magnaflows that dump while leaving my Outlaws running out the back. Problem is the space under the car. I would have to use bullet style mufflers, which usually are not the quietest. But I am sure I could find something suitable.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
*BUB, any chance you can upload a sound clip? I am very curious how that sounds, as many of the homegrown ideas tend to turn out pretty damn good.
This what mine sounds like with cutouts in the back. Its honestly quite savagely loud. Perfect for fooling around. Not so great for creeping in late at night.

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote