Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
What incentive does a dealership have to void a warranty?

I never understood why a dealer would want to void a warranty for after-market parts, or why they would refuse to cover a claim for reason "normal wear and tear".

Shouldn't the dealer want to service your vehicle, as they get a check from GM directly? Maybe, somebody on the inside could respond for clarification. Thank you
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Warranty is from the manufacturer. I believe the dealer has to get reimbursed for repairs. So if they do it and it is denied, then no money!

They also take a snapshot of the PCM I think.
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I have 30 years in the business both on the manufacture side and the dealers side… The warranty process is very simple for all manufacturers. GM reimburses the dealer at his normal retail labor rate for labor, and the parts to fix the car. Those parts are then stored should GM want to look at those parts in the future. Usually they are stored for one year. GM just doesn't want to mess with aftermarket stuff because it can affect their prod.. other questions you have, just write them here and I'll try to answer.

Techs lovewarranty if it's just a part swap, but they also can hate it if it involves a lot of diagnostic time, as GM usually doesn't pay for all the diagnostic time they put in.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Why would GM be willing to write a check for a problem caused by components that didn't come from them?

It doesn't matter who the check would be written to, it'd still be for a situation that developed because of something that was not under their (GM's) control.

As for "normal wear and tear", parts like tires, brake pads and rotors, clutch discs, and even wiper blades inherently wear simply by being used. Paint deteriorates. If those items had to be covered by a replacement warranty, what do you think would happen to its pricing (and probably your ability to negotiate that)?

Norm
Old 07-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Why would GM be willing to write a check for a problem caused by components that didn't come from them?

It doesn't matter who the check would be written to, it'd still be for a situation that developed because of something that was not under their (GM's) control.

Norm

That I completely understand and agree with. My question was on the dealer side of things. However, Glen cleared it up.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote