Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #57
redman

Drives: 18 2SS Vert
I have 2 sets of wheels/tires 18" and 20" and the noise is present with both sets. The dealer had my car last week. They changed out the differential grease and additive and said the factory had not put in enough friction modifier. Said the noise would go away after 200 miles of driving. It has not gone away. Called them again and they want to give it a few more days for the lube to work into the posi clutches.
redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #58
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
Mine happens only backing up, both during or straight. Like I said in another post, it happened even after the car was warmed up. Only problem is that I can not reproduce it. I have heard it like 3 or 4 times now. I see some posts in here stating there is a way to reproduce it, I will try this and see what I can come up with.
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #59
fargomike
The Dude Abides

Drives: Black 2SS M6
There is a post in here somewhere that explains something similar to this . Mine does this as well . From the thread posted it sounded like the heat shield rubbing on drive shaft ? http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36652&page=2
fargomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #60
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
Ok, so I have experienced this a few times also...I know the good people from GM are on this site so, with all these reports when does GM admit there is a problem, what is causing this and what is the fix.
Good luck with that. My experience indicates to me that GM is not interested in resolving intermittent issues reported by a small percentage of buyers. Hope I'm wrong.

I have this issue too, and it scares me half to death each time it happens. Sounds like the car is scraping on the driveway.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #61
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by khn View Post
Wow me too! ('10 2SS M6)

Sound seems to be coming from passenger side front. Happens after a wheel revolution or two.

Seems to happen when:
- reversing
- clutch pedal pressed down all the way
- wheel turned to right

I think it might have happend once when going straight, but seems more often when turning wheel to the right.

It also seems to only happen when the car free-rolls down a hill.

When you slightly slip the clutch, the grinding seems to disappear.

Hmm, I'll take to a parking garage sometimes and see when else it happens. (Like, turn wheel to left? on level ground? going forward? How long does it last? Dunno... didn't want to find out!)
That's exactly how it happens in mine, always backing out of my driveway when the car is cold ...
Old 06-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #62
oldchevyguy

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
4600 miles and heard the same grinding noise again today, backing out of the garage, turning, clutch depressed. Has been going on intermmitantly since new
Old 06-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #63
redman

Drives: 18 2SS Vert
Update: My ride has been to the dealer on two occasions to have the rear grease changed. The car still makes the groaning noise on occasion and it's always when turning. Has anyone had their car fixed yet?
redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #64
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
That's exactly how it happens in mine, always backing out of my driveway when the car is cold ...
same and it only happens once.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #65
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
It seems to be getting more frequent with mine while just going around corners during daily driving. Im wondering if maybe I had to put in an additive along with the RP? If so I need to know cause I didnt get that memo.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #66
Rhetor

Drives: My Other Car Is a Harley! (03 SERK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khn View Post
Wow me too! ('10 2SS M6)

Sound seems to be coming from passenger side front. Happens after a wheel revolution or two.

Seems to happen when:
- reversing
- clutch pedal pressed down all the way
- wheel turned to right
Subscribed . . . got the exact same problem--grinding noise in front end while turning wheels in reverse coming out of a parking space. At the dealer for four days . . . just called me to pick up the car . . . says it's "normal--just the way all Camaros are built--no worries".

Guess I will go get and drive it till the wheels fall off . . . literally!

Or until you all figure out what is causing the issue . . . my service manager is uninterested.

Finding out too late that my large regional dealer loves selling cars . . . but not much interest in servicing what he sells. Great commercials though!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #67
TexasCamaro512
Big RC

Drives: Camaro 1SS
Grinding noise when backing up

I have had this problem, I took it to the dealership and they replace the fluid and added some additives, then send the old fluid to the factory. It stopped for a while and came back after a few long trips. the dealership now said there is a service bulletin about it and they are replacing some parts within the rearend. Hopefully this will fix it. I would talk with my dealership about the issue.

RC.
TexasCamaro512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #68
NHSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Got it too, feels like the anti-lock brakes to me.
NHSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #69
Rhetor

Drives: My Other Car Is a Harley! (03 SERK)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinColfax View Post
Do we all have 21's?
No . . . running the factory 20" polished on 2SS M6 . . .

Car at the dealer now . . . got it to reproduce . . . they are looking at one of the bushings as the culprit . . . on the lift now . . . we shall see.

My metal grinding sound is in reverse when pulling away from a curve and turning the wheels ever so slightly does it more when turning left than turning right while move out of a parking spot . . . only happens about 25% of the time.

Update: wife just got home from the dealer with the car. Service manager says he called GM and that not one single other customer in the US or Canada has complained about this being a problem.

Service manager also wrote down the exact problem on a note for my wife to give to me. Here it is . . . word for word--the problem is: "Tires grabbing to pavement!"

How refreshing to know that my tires make a metal grinding sound in reverse!

That's it . . . mystery solved. Said it is totally normal on every Camaro!

Guess I will just wait for a wheel to fly off. Or, for my car to "fly" so that my tires stop grabbing the pavement!

Wow! I will bet that "blow off the customer" answer will close this thread down for sure!

Last edited by Rhetor; 06-11-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Rhetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #70
Screaminz2002

Drives: 2018 Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post
No . . . running the factory 20" polished on 2SS M6 . . .

Car at the dealer now . . . got it to reproduce . . . they are looking at one of the bushings as the culprit . . . on the lift now . . . we shall see.

My metal grinding sound is in reverse when pulling away from a curve and turning the wheels ever so slightly does it more when turning left than turning right while move out of a parking spot . . . only happens about 25% of the time.

Update: wife just got home from the dealer with the car. Service manager says he called GM and that not one single other customer in the US or Canada has complained about this being a problem.

Service manager also wrote down the exact problem on a note for my wife to give to me. Here it is . . . word for word--the problem is: "Tires grabbing to pavement!"

How refreshing to know that my tires make a metal grinding sound in reverse!

That's it . . . mystery solved. Said it is totally normal on every Camaro!

Guess I will just wait for a wheel to fly off. Or, for my car to "fly" so that my tires stop grabbing the pavement!

Wow! I will bet that "blow off the customer" answer will close this thread down for sure!
This is exactly why I havn't been to the dealer with this problem... Unless something is physicaly broken, there is a CE light on, or the vehicle does not run you get a BS answer. Mine has been doing this daily since 2 months after I got it. Even better then this noise, try to get them to fix a low power problem. The same guy that drove his Kia to work that morning says it has plenty of power and feels ok to him.
Screaminz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote