Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #57
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Ok I flipped them. Maybe a smidge better but still not an RS halo look.
Now the frustration is I wired the projectors to the car, but can't get the highs or lows to come on. Followed the instructions, verified I had good ground, etc. only thing I can think of is maybe I got a bad control box. Gonna email TRS tonight. I need some dinner now

OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #58
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzySS View Post
Ok I flipped them. Maybe a smidge better but still not an RS halo look.
Now the frustration is I wired the projectors to the car, but can't get the highs or lows to come on. Followed the instructions, verified I had good ground, etc. only thing I can think of is maybe I got a bad control box. Gonna email TRS tonight. I need some dinner now

The joys of modding... oh and I am having my second midnight snack... @ 2am
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #59
OzzySS

Well, I guess I didn't make a good ground on either bulb from the radiator. Got wiring for the halos and ran wire from the ballasts to the terminal and they came right on...
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363231660.652389.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  82.2 KB
Also blinded my roommate there hahaha

Old 03-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #60
OzzySS

Did my "are they level?" test...looks good. Anybody have a clue why my blinkers are just a constant ON now? They won't act as turn signals when I move the stick, but will blink as hazards. Otherwise they just stay on.
As others said in my thread about this, I do have to turn my headlight knob all the way to the right to turn my lights on since they no longer work on Auto. Small sacrifices...Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363239188.608191.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  173.6 KB

Old 03-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #61
OzzySS

The all-important sealing of the assembly. I woefully underestimated how much silicone I had, so I only get to seal one tonight. Which works because I also can't find my other channel locks. Hrmph.
Guess I'll go figure out where I want to place my relay and ballasts

Last edited by OzzySS; 03-14-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #62
OzzySS

Ok. I was just an idiot with the blinker issue. Didn't realize I didn't have the key all the way to on, it was only in accessory. Lol

Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #63
OzzySS

today i tested out the halos...i should've done this before installing them and sealing the lights, since the center halo on the passenger side has 3 green LEDs that don't work :(

afterwards, i went ahead and mounted up the HID components...
control box to the side of the roto-fab,

driver ballast inside the cai,

and passenger ballast under the fuse box...

then i looked for a good place in the firewall to run the halo wiring...didn't find one :( so i drilled a 3/8" hole by the hood release. wouldn't have been too hard if not for the clutch pedal, and working upside down in the car lol...i'll have to remember to pick up a grommet for the new hole tomorrow.
it looks like i'm going to have to splice the halo wiring from the passenger side to driver side, then driver side through the firewall...that was pretty much my plan anyway, just disappointed that they gave me so little wiring on the passenger side :(

Old 03-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #64
OzzySS

so, today i finally finished...well, about 80% finished...my lighting project for the week. i say 80% because i haven't permanently installed the halo control box in the cabin anywhere yet, because i just ordered a switchplate from emblempros and i want to connect the halos to it. so, for now, the cabin wiring is ziptied together and running to behind the driver's seat, where the control box is sitting on the floor.
anyway, today i focused on the engine bay...i wanted to make my wiring as clean as possible, given that i had 8 wires for the halos on each side. so, the first step was to splice the 8 pairs down to 4 pairs for each side...then i took the 4 passenger side pairs and t-tapped them into one set of halo wiring on the driver side.
the 4 driver's side pairs, i butt spliced to my 14g solid copper wiring. that was kind of difficult considering where i made the crimp (just behind the bottom corner of the cai). i also wrapped my splices in electrical tape to ensure they don't fall out since the halo wiring is about 18g and maybe only about 16g with the splice-work i did to make the pairs.
the 14g wiring i ran along the ac line, up behind the remote + terminal and around the strut tower back to the firewall.
i should also mention that i ran grounding wire along the edges of the bay. one wire for the hids, and one back through the firewall. i loosened the grounding bolt and did a simple U at the end of both wires to loop them under. for the hid wires i stripped a little section and bent the tips of the spade on the driver's side ballast around it, then wrapped in tape...the passenger ballast i cut the spade off and did a butt splice...
now, the photos
this can still be a little cleaner, but since the passenger side center halo should be replaced soon, i'm not worrying about it yet.

the hole in the firewall was a 3/8", and could just barely fit six 14g wires through it. i spray-painted it, and decided there was no way i'm getting a grommet in there, so i caulked it as best i could with what i had leftover from headlight reassembly.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #65
OzzySS

also, as a bonus, since i decided i didn't want to be upside-down in the car in the future, i went ahead and installed my footwell lighting before i put the car back on the ground

my phone really doesn't do justice in this photo...

Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #66
OzzySS

Took the car out yesterday morning, and one of my damn shrouds popped off inside the light since I didn't see where it recommends gluing them down in the instructions! :(
So, today I took everything off and threw the lights in the oven again. I've already caulked the shrouds to the projectors, but I think I'll hold off on reassembly until I hear back from AAC about replacing the smaller halo. Hopefully they'll send me another before I send them the faulty one so I can minimize downtime.
Also ordered rear plate LEDs and a colorshift grill light kit while I was on their site. And a 12vDC adapter from oznium so I can test future products before installing them!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #67
OzzySS

Sent the halo off to AAC last night. UPS said they'll have it Thursday, AAC said a day or two to determine manufacturer defect, so my car is going to spend the better part of another two weeks in the air, hopefully she'll be back on the street by next weekend :(
In the meantime, I've got some other things coming in. I finally found fender stripes that look like they're going to be a good match for the really expensive GM stripes, door kick plates should be here any day, and my other AAC order.
Haven't heard anything from emblempros about my switchplate, but I know they're made to order...must have patience...
Also really tempted to order up some kooks and a cam package (probably night fury)...trying not to make the credit card scream tho

Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #68
OzzySS

Thanks I think they really add that little extra to the front end
Hopefully within the next couple weeks I'll have all my lighting/wiring done and tucked. AAC should receive the defective halo tomorrow, so with any luck I'll at least have her out on the street again next week, if not totally finished (for now).

Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #69
OzzySS

what a pain in the ass this project is turning out to be...
since AAC has replacement halos backordered, i should expect to have the warranty replacement in about 3-5 weeks...so, i went ahead and sealed up my lights and put the car back together today so i can drive it for the next month!
well, the center halo on the driver's side now decided it wanted to come unglued the shroud stayed on both lights, at least, since i caulked them down this time.
so, i'm just going to continue driving it with the halo like it is...little embarrassing but i'm tired of dropping the bumper and baking headlights for the time being. i want to enjoy the car for a bit before doing any more major work to it. plus i need to replenish some of my wiring supplies now lol.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:52 AM   #70
OzzySS

Put my stripes on this weekend...finally found a set that is cut the way I wanted
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364197881.313655.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  61.9 KB

Also took a shot of the switchplate...not installed yet, it's just sitting there
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364197930.720132.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  102.6 KB

Tags
1le, 2013, npp, ozzyss, rally yellow