Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Decepticon21

Drives: 2010 Camaro v6
Alternative Fuels

My line of work is in alternative fuels. I work for a company that converts vehicles to run on compressed natural gas. Reason why I made this post is I'm curious as to if any of you have ventured forth in having your Camaro powered by a alternative fuel as in Hydrogen or natural gas as stated above. An if so do you have websites with proven products that work. And those possibly that you have tried and don't work. Im venturing forth to either convert my 2010 3.6 to hydrogen or possibly natural gas. We are getting ready to do a chevy impala 3.6 next. im trying to volunteer my Camaro with the 3.6 as test vehicle. I doubt theres much of any talk or people on here venturing forth looking for alternative fuel solutions for there Camaro but Im just curious. I mean if I would be able to successfully convert the 3.6 motor over fuel range would be near 1000miles with out a single stop to refill.

Now that is of coarse a Bi-fuel system which the vehicles starts on gasoline and once it gets warmed up and up to temp then the vehicle automatically switches to compressed natural gas. Once you run out of natural gas the vehicle simply switches back to compressed natural gas and you don't even feel it while driving. An then your gasoline injectors kick back in and you continue down the road! so with a 10 gallon tank of CNG and a full tank of gasoline it wouldn't be crazy to see a range with both fuels of a possible 1000miles.

Testing the waters here to see if theres any interest.
Decepticon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
I've driven vehicles powered by natural gas. If you think they get 1000 miles on a 10 gallon tank then you need to put the crack pipe down. natural gas, at least a set up capable of refueling a car, is not common, and they stink due to the additive put in the gas. at best, there may be one place you can refuel in your town, and not every town will have even one. that's why most NG vehicles come with reserve tanks.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Decepticon21

Drives: 2010 Camaro v6
You did not understand what I had posted bud. Listen a Bi-fuel system uses both gasoline and cng. Starts on gas switches to cng once motor is warmed up. once you run empty on cng vehicle switches back to gas. They do not stink if is installed the right way and its in the guide lines of NFPA 52 that the valve on the tank must be covered with a vent bag and exhausted out the vehicle somewhere. So if you obviously have all your lines tightened and your vent bag is on the tank then theres no way you'll smell the gas bud. I understand what your saying tho. There are a ton of companys that produce very chincy kits and are total crap! An yes you are correct also that fueling is limited. Its mainly a west coast thing but it is moving east quickly. In my area personally there are 3-5 stations I know to fuel up at. But they are growing.

Example a 2012 Chevy 2500 6.0 4x4 ext cab auto pickup truck towing a 2013 dodge caravan. Set up as a bi-fuel full tank of gas and cng also. I drove here from Ohio to Colorado. Now mind you on our pick up trucks we obviously use a larger tank 19-21 gallon. So with that set up I could range and averaged 825miles with both fuels together. So it is very possible to get close to the range of 1000 miles on a 3.6 motor.

obviously your right fueling is a issue in some places but as most travelers do you tend to plan your route and along with that you'd plan your refueling stops. theres actually a app for CNG stations now to locate them when traveling.
Decepticon21 is offline   Reply With Quote