Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Frustrated V6 owner

First off, let's not have this thread devolve into a V6 vs V8 thread. That's not the intent of this post.

What IS the intent is to express the extreme frustration I am feeling right now. I just took possession of my 2014 2LT and for every congratulatory comment I have received I get one questioning my decision to get the V6 and not the SS. These comments come from OUTSIDE the Camaro 5 forums, let me be clear. I'm talking Facebook, co-workers, friends, etc. I find the overwhelming majority of the Camaro 5 community to be equally enthusiastic about all models of Camaro, regardless of displacement.

But here's a sampling of what I get from some of my "friends"

"A V6?! Really?"
"Why didn't you get the V8?!"
"Shoulda got the V8!!"
"A REAL Camaro doesn't have a V6."

These are actual comments I have received in response to my news that I got a new Camaro.

What the hell possesses people to say stuff like that? I'm happy with my V6. I love it and I bought it FOR ME, not for them (clearly) so why do they say stuff like that?
The same thing happened when I bought my 2010 LS four years ago. People seem to be so willing to make comments about how I should have spent my money.

Sorry for the ranting, but it gets kinda hard to remain enthusiastic about my new car when I have to put up with that crap.

Any other V6 owners experience this?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
If you bought it for you, then why do you even care what others say?

Click Picture for Build Thread
Old 04-25-2014, 11:53 PM   #3
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
If you bought it for you, then why do you even care what others say?
It just bothers me that they would question ANY purchase I made...as if it's their business.
What purpose does it serve to question someone's purchase when they're clearly enthusiastic about it?
Old 04-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksVSix View Post
It just bothers me that they would question ANY purchase I made...as if it's their business.
What purpose does it serve to question someone's purchase when they're clearly enthusiastic about it?
I see it as just a question. Like hey "why'd you go with red vs black" or "why auto vs manual" same thing

Click Picture for Build Thread
Old 04-26-2014, 12:01 AM   #5
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Haters gonna hate! Jealousy is always there! But I never get ( I should've bought a V8) from others!
Old 04-26-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I just laugh and say I saved a hell of a lot more money in the long run, and can now later on down the road - afford a ZL1 (Which was my intension of getting my 2LT now.) Throughout college I will be saving for a 6th gen ZL1 or 1LE. Not wasting my money on an SS bug and mod the crap out of it! No Hate.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:04 AM   #7
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
If someone wants to send me a check, then they can tell me what to buy. Until then, they can STFU if they don't like or agree with it.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
Old 04-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
yellowrs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
Dude when I was in my late 10's / early 20's I wanted a Corvette real bad.
I did not care about the hp or engine since for me a Corvette was a Corvette.
Fast forward, today the Camaro is almost what it was like in the 70/80's
Regardless of the engine or hp it still will be a Camaro.
Enjoy your car and ignore those stupid comments.
I bet ya none of those people drive with a perma grin every day!
Old 04-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #9
CamaroJoe96

Drives: 2013 Full Bolt on LFX M6
Just ask them what kind of engine they have in THEIR camaro!
Old 04-26-2014, 12:16 AM   #10
A Town

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS LS3
I dealt with that for months on here and in my personal life. I got so backed in a corner i got a SS and now i have a V6 and a SS. I love both and the SS is fast but was a complete waste of money. In todays world the V6 is just as bad ass and you don't have to worry about spending 500 on gas a month and high insurance
Old 04-26-2014, 12:18 AM   #11
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
I got more looks of wonder when I told them I got an automatic. Now that I have a manual, nobody says anything. If they ask if its a v6 or v8 I'll tell them its a v6 with over 300 horsepower which is plenty for me and keeps my insurance and fuel bills low.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:18 AM   #12
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJoe96 View Post
Just ask them what kind of engine they have in THEIR camaro!
Old 04-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #13
Shiftgreen

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE AGM
It doesn't matter v6 or v8..we all get heckled, I see that already. I had 2 random firemen yesterday come up to me while I was ordering at a bbq place asking me questions like " when I burn the tires off my camaro whats it going to cost me" ...like im some kid who drives like a maniac.

Or having a cop pull out of his perch, follow me, and tailgates the heck out of me b/c I'm driving a little slower through a neighborhood b/c it was late. This was only my 4th day of having this car.

Just enjoy it while you got it !
Old 04-26-2014, 12:24 AM   #14
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I was recently at a car meet....9 or so Camaros. A few guys were standing around talking about the cars when someone mentioned the v6. The conversation was ..why bother with a v6..these cars shouldn't have those motors..blah blah blah. There was this young guy .very quiet standing with us...he was out enjoying the nice day and nice cars just like the rest of us. I didn't know his car was a v6 until he left to go home...he was the only v6 guy in the group that day. I thought about how he stood quiet as people not knowing he drove a v6, bashed his car. I felt terrible ..so from that day on I decided not to judge someone else for what they drive. Here was a young guy getting bashed for no reason...he was enjoying his car just like the rest of the group. So to you OP...don't worry about what people think....you have what makes you happy..people have to realize that that is the most important option on any check sheet.

Closed Thread