Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Don't over think this...

If you regularly need 4 seats, get the land yacht (Charger).

If you (insert anything else) get the ZL1.

I drove a Charger Hellcat, GT500, and a ZL1 before I bought anything.

I own a ZL1.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:01 PM   #16
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Not quite the same, but similar enough, I drive a 392 Scat Pack Challenger before deciding on the ZL1.

There is more headroom, back seat and trunk space with the 392. It's a nice car, but the ZL1 just feels/fits better. When kids get too big for the back seat in the ZL1, I'll worry about I then, probably pick up a bigger car when the time comes.

You said no kids, so I'd jump on the ZL1. But this is a Camaro board after all.
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:41 PM   #17
Cts100

Drives: Toyota land cruiser
I think I will stick with the zl1 as it offers more performance and in my case both cars are similarly priced. There is a convertible zl1 available with a dealer here, brand new Idk if any discount is applicable to it as the new 6th gen zl1 will be available here(UAE) by April end. That's what the dealer told me. Headroom, legroom won't matter as I am not more than 5'5. Although I do doubt the visibility as the driver as I have read YouTube comments like" if Ur short don't bother driving the Camaro and stuff" lots of people saying about the visibility of the car. Other options like boots pace etc is not required as we have another family car. I m just learning the forum and don't know how to reply personally.To the person who told me to get a certain number plate, here we can't get personalized plates with alphabets although we can auction the number eg(555,111) etc but we can't get anything like (dat-ss) or something. The charger is a huge car it is in fact longer and wider than our Prado. So putting it into tight spots may be difficult and the charger will stay for few years I am sure, the 5th gen zl1 is rare and what if I don't find one in future, there is still time to own a charger. That leaves to the choice of 2 zl1 s one new convertible and a slightly used zl1 coupe. The used zl1 is in pink, it was described as premium paint. The new one I didn't check much as it was way over our price range, I will check if that has any discounts. One more thing is about the insurance cost I am 23 years old so will it be high? I had enquired about the insurance costs on the charger and they said it's about aed 9500($2600)approx. No official quote on Camaro as they are only selling 6th gen models I need to see the dealers in person if I want the zl1. There are few zl1s available not very expensive but they are either 2013 or have around (50000km) on them. There is this specific zl1 2014 has corsa exhaust. Cold air intake and some next level expensive tinting, it's done (25000km). Mostly I may get a used car so is there any specific km range I should see to. I know the zl1s I see with 50000km and 100000 km should not be considered. But what about the ones that have run 25000km?.
Cts100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:02 AM   #18
ZEDL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black, 2015 2LT/RS
Cts100, I too am 5'5", but only on hot days.
I very rarely, by choice, drive my ZL1, but my 2015 is my DD. Same Gen5 configuration.

I'd read the same thoughts that visibility would be a concern. It's not that way at all for me.
The visibility matter has been addressed quite some time ago on this forum.
Adjust your side mirrors properly (again, the proper method is available in earlier threads) adjust your seat higher than taller drivers would (great to have that feature), turn your head to check blind spots, and you'll be the same way as am I - completely comfortable and confident driving your Camaro at all times.

Like everyone who has responded so far, I recommend that you for sure choose the ZL1.
ZEDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:41 AM   #19
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cts100 View Post
..The used zl1 is in pink, it was described as premium paint....
What? The Bowtie is 24k gold plated as well, surprised he didn't mention that one. Generally speaking, Salesman are worse than attorneys and rank below pond scum on the evolutionary scale. They are full of crap and lying through their teeth.

The pink was an aftermarket mod, which means now you get to worry if the painter stripped the car and did a proper frame off or if he was some hack job that painted over the old base coat. What paint did he use, how many layers, what technique (certainly wasn't electrostatic premium), how many layers of clear, how long ago, who is guaranteeing the paint for 6+ years? Now it has layers that will be peeling off, if you're lucky you'll notice it now so you can walk away from it. You can tell because the crevaces in the trunk, inside the rear fender wheel wells and inside the doors should still have the base paint color. I believe you can also look at the build plate in the trunk to confirm color as well as the VIN. Maybe you don't care because you want to paint it purple.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #20
Can'tHave2MuchHP

I would pass on any car with an aftermarket paint job, unless it's a wrap. Make sure it's not a wrap before you decide. It's super common over in the UAE to have cars with wild wrap jobs on them to make cars more unique.

If it is a paint job, I'd pass. I don't care who did the paint job, the only people I'd trust would be Chip Foose or myself to paint one of my expensive cars.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #21
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
I agree on the pink issue - there is a lot of questions raised above that are valid.

That being said, and the fact that it is Dubai, I would wrap the car anyway - for protection from the environment if nothing else.
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #22
Genzl1rev

Drives: 2014 ZL1 RED HOT
Quote:
I think I will stick with the zl1 as it offers more performance and in my case both cars are similarly priced. There is a convertible zl1 available with a dealer here, brand new Idk if any discount is applicable to it as the new 6th gen zl1 will be available here(UAE) by April end. That's what the dealer told me. Headroom, legroom won't matter as I am not more than 5'5. Although I do doubt the visibility as the driver as I have read YouTube comments like" if Ur short don't bother driving the Camaro and stuff" lots of people saying about the visibility of the car. Other options like boots pace etc is not required as we have another family car. I m just learning the forum and don't know how to reply personally.To the person who told me to get a certain number plate, here we can't get personalized plates with alphabets although we can auction the number eg(555,111) etc but we can't get anything like (dat-ss) or something. The charger is a huge car it is in fact longer and wider than our Prado. So putting it into tight spots may be difficult and the charger will stay for few years I am sure, the 5th gen zl1 is rare and what if I don't find one in future, there is still time to own a charger. That leaves to the choice of 2 zl1 s one new convertible and a slightly used zl1 coupe. The used zl1 is in pink, it was described as premium paint. The new one I didn't check much as it was way over our price range, I will check if that has any discounts. One more thing is about the insurance cost I am 23 years old so will it be high? I had enquired about the insurance costs on the charger and they said it's about aed 9500($2600)approx. No official quote on Camaro as they are only selling 6th gen models I need to see the dealers in person if I want the zl1. There are few zl1s available not very expensive but they are either 2013 or have around (50000km) on them. There is this specific zl1 2014 has corsa exhaust. Cold air intake and some next level expensive tinting, it's done (25000km). Mostly I may get a used car so is there any specific km range I should see to. I know the zl1s I see with 50000km and 100000 km should not be considered. But what about the ones that have run 25000km?.
I drove it once. Bought it. I only oogled 392s or SRT8s and knew they had more room.
I'm 5'6" and I raised my seat up and it made a world of difference. The hood is huge, but the baddest thing comin' down the road. And that ROAR.
Also, you get used to the vastness of the rear quarter panels and lack of vision out of the back. you just learn to double and triple check your mirrors.

Peace.
HEZL1VE
2006 Volvo R60 AWD>2010 Acura ZDX Black (the Batmobile)
2Wheels:Kawi Eliminator>Honda CB1
Genzl1rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #23
Can'tHave2MuchHP

The way I get rid of my blind spots is (If I have room) is by rapidly speeding in my current lane up before changing lanes.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #24
zeeb

Drives: 2014 ZL1, AGM, M6
This reads like an oil thread
zeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 PM   #25
Cts100

The car is painted pink, somewhat a light maroon but I am sure that paint is not available from factory as the owner had mentioned "premium paint". It is not a wrap it has only 4000km on it, there is no other zl1 here as I ve mentioned it is super rare, we can get a charger/challenger in any color but the zl1 it's super rare. There are less than 10 zl1s used in UAE that are put up for sale online compared to dozens of charger srts. I don't know if there are mechanics like you have in USA here. So I doubt the stripping of the car, Nor is the after market strong for these cars here. If you guys don't suggest this car then the only one worth considering is the new zl1 convertible direct from the dealer.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #26
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
...we can get a charger/challenger in any color ....
...wait what? From the dealer? Is this a regional thing? Are you implying that from the factory, if you're taking delivery in the UAE that GM (all manufactures?) offers custom paint color solids and metallics?
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #27
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
...wait what? From the dealer? Is this a regional thing? Are you implying that from the factory, if you're taking delivery in the UAE that GM (all manufactures?) offers custom paint color solids and metallics?
I'm guessing that by "Any color" he means any color that Dodge offers.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:57 AM   #28
Cts100

I meant that the charger /challenger is pretty common here and is available in various colors,I m talking about used cars. The zl1 being super rare I find very few in fact less than 3 to be exact which are 2014/2015 models and with low kms (less than 25k) the rest zl1 s have like 60k 1lakh km on them. NO we can't get custom painted cars from the dealers here in Dubai. We have to wrap them or paint them with aftermarket paints or wraps. What I am trying to say is the charger/challenger whether it be srt or rt is commonly available here in various colors and the zl1 s are rare. Since it is rare it is common for these cars to get premium painted or gold wrapped etc.