Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #71
landshark-ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
it can be caused by the fluid, but mostly caused by adding electronics or a loose ground . other post talk about the battery cables from the rear causing problems. even the alternator can produce ac and cause a problem.. WILL RE-POST THE RESULTS WHEN I GET IT BACK NEXT WEEK... STAY TUNED!! LOL
landshark-ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #72
~Stacy~
Banned

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark-ss View Post
it can be caused by the fluid, but mostly caused by adding electronics or a loose ground . other post talk about the battery cables from the rear causing problems. even the alternator can produce ac and cause a problem.. WILL RE-POST THE RESULTS WHEN I GET IT BACK NEXT WEEK... STAY TUNED!! LOL
Crazy!!! My heater core went out in July! I have added some electronics But EVERYTHING was installed by gm techs except for my window tint and graphics
~Stacy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #73
Black Magic Woman

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Blue Ray Metallic
I dropped off my car this morning for an evaporator core leak...is that the same thing as a heater core leak? They said they have to remove the windshield, etc. to fix it...reading this thread has made me a nervous wreck worrying about the car now!
Black Magic Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #74
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Evap core is in the same duct sandwiched with the heater core.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #75
~Stacy~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic Woman View Post
I dropped off my car this morning for an evaporator core leak...is that the same thing as a heater core leak? They said they have to remove the windshield, etc. to fix it...reading this thread has made me a nervous wreck worrying about the car now!
I was 1800 miles away in Vegas when my car was having the surgery. I was getting worried also. I called the dealer a few times to check up on my camaro
Old 10-20-2011, 04:47 PM   #76
DAVET1LT
DAVE T

Drives: 2011 1LT Summit White M6
Just curious, are the bad heater cores limited to the V-8s?, cause I only see 1 or 2 V-6s in this thread that may have the heater core issues. Just hoping it doesn't happen to mine and I certainly wish the best for everyone here that is having this problem.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #77
landshark-ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
well, got my ss back last night. they did a pressure test on the heater core, and there was a small seam busted. not sure what was going on inside the core, but not real happy about the design. They said they did a voltage test as I requested, but I was not there to see it. I will do it my self later in the day and post if there is any sign of voltage in the fluid it self. I hope none is present, but I have to see it for my self. the warranty repair cost was @1260.00 plus..but that had a windshield replacement included in it. alot of labor to replace a heater coil that runs around 30-45. dollars...
poor design on the 3 modules that pull out to repair things in the dash..AFTER PULLING THE WINDSHIELD...
landshark-ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #78
Beege11
Station #20 Captain

Drives: 2011 C5-M6 SS RS Red Jewel GFX & SR
Hey just to keep this issue out there....I have an 2011 SS with just over 7k and noticed a smell of coolant. Checking underneath there is definitly drip marks from something leaking. I'll check the passenger side with the heat on and see what up....I can't believe this care may need a dash pull.
Beege11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #79
~Stacy~
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beege11 View Post
Hey just to keep this issue out there....I have an 2011 SS with just over 7k and noticed a smell of coolant. Checking underneath there is definitly drip marks from something leaking. I'll check the passenger side with the heat on and see what up....I can't believe this care may need a dash pull.
It requires more than a dash pull. Your whole windshield has to be cut out also:( My dealer also replaced my air bag coil after they were tearing apart at the dash. I just had mine replaced in July
Old 11-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #80
Beege11
Station #20 Captain

Thanks (I think). I read back through this thread and can't believe what my car may be in for. I've already been back and forth with my dealer regarding a painted GFX that looks great but was originally installed wrong. Goes in tomorrow so we will see what they find (or don't find). Thanks to all that contribute to this site!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #81
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Beege11, let us know how things go for you. Hopefully they're able to take care of this for you quickly.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #82
Beege11
Station #20 Captain

Breathing a sigh of relief. Only a fitting and hose clamp up front leaking a little for now. Service said the engine needs to cool down for up to 2 hours and then they come up from the bottom to reach it without pulling it apart. I checked the passenger side footwell and for drips in my garage and saw/felt nothing, only the smell and knowledge of missing ~ a gallon of coolant sometime over the last 5M miles.

Sorry to hear others have to deal with the heater core issue and what it takes to make it right.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #83
Beege11
Station #20 Captain

As an FYI the drip marks I had were showing at the back of motor with what looked like an oil cooler (im learning). The coolant was coming from the top/front of the motor making its way down to the oil pan and following the pan seal to the rear of the motor and showing itself there. Nothing on the floor of my garage that i caught just the reddish drip marks at the back of the motor compartment. For a gallon of coolant perhaps this was being lost only while driving....dunno.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #84
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
I might be going through the same nightmare again :/
Not with my camaro though. I had the same issue 2 years ago with my 1996 gmc jimmy. The entire dashboard had to come off since heater core was on passenger side. Right now its not leaking into the car but im already hearing the bubbling sound just like my truck.

My question is, will this fix be covered by chevy if a supercharger has been installed?

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote