Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 10-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #29
joerod97
Chevy Man

Drives: 2010 2ss -black/black
phone option is gone as of today, dont need it, I have my cell. xm- not worth paying for it.On star will probably stay due to lo-jack and you get discount on insurance.
joerod97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #30
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
The quality of the music on XM is worse than the Free FM.. Why in the world would anybody pay for the lowest possible quality sounds, I don't care how great your speakers are, crap is crap. Now if it sounded crystal clear like a CD, then I would definitely consider it. Over compressed music is just terrible.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:09 AM   #31
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Totally disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
The quality of the music on XM is worse than the Free FM.. Why in the world would anybody pay for the lowest possible quality sounds, I don't care how great your speakers are, crap is crap. Now if it sounded crystal clear like a CD, then I would definitely consider it. Over compressed music is just terrible.
Must be a Florida thing because XM/Sirius is far better than FM in the bay area. I don't miss commercials and I definately don't miss the bla bla bla talk on regular radio especially in the mornings. Like I said try it for a while, really try it and you won't go back to FM radio.
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:25 AM   #32
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partick View Post
Must be a Florida thing because XM/Sirius is far better than FM in the bay area. I don't miss commercials and I definately don't miss the bla bla bla talk on regular radio especially in the mornings. Like I said try it for a while, really try it and you won't go back to FM radio.
It's compressed and when compared to the same song on a CD played back to back, you will hear the difference. I have two new cars, both with premium Boston Acoustics sound systems and both with either Sirius or XM. I'm probably going to sound like I'm boasting but I do have an excellent ear for music quality. I started choir in the 7th grade and continue singing till this day. I play the piano as well and create musical scores using the Vienna Symphonic Library. One day I hope to compose a theatrical score. I can assure you its not just in Florida as I travel a whole lot and all the rental cars come with digital radio so I've heard it in many different vehicles as well. Yes, the selection of music is varied and having classical stations is great, I even like Cinemagic. However it is painful to listen to sound that sounds like its underwater. That is the best way to describe it. Yes, its not as pronounced like a cell phone call, however it is always there to some degree. I'm glad you enjoy it. I just wish it were at the very least CD quality. BTW, FM doesn't sound underwater even though there is static behind it which is a type of white noise so it blends in with the air condition and road noise. However digital distortion is not easily masked with a trained ear.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:11 AM   #33
rickerda

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Both sides, a friend has a Camaro and Corvette, he’s very happy with OnStar and he likes getting the diagnostics email reports On the other hand , I read a few articles about OnStar being a “Big Brother” and an invasion of privacy. We both agree that our portable GPS are easier to use. We both drive multiple cars so it is easier to just move the GPS when we need it. As for the XM satellite radio, Virginia has a lot of trees, so satellite radios cut-out a lot. It’s not worth the price if the reception drops every couple of minutes.

Normally, I wouldn’t get hung-up on the privacy issue but I felt like they were pushing a bit too hard to get me to sign up.
rickerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #34
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
XM gone. ONstar too when it expires. Not paying for a service while it is stored for the winter.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #35
Ultimate_Bumblebee
On order 2LT Rally yellow

Drives: Acura TSX 2007, 2LT T-form edi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Main View Post
I've already signed up for a lifetime subscription. The catch? I signed up for a US subscription. That way it is XM with the "Best of Sirius". Lifetime isn't available in Canada, neither is "best of". It cost $499 plus a ~$60 fee for music royalties?

I love the service - I've had Sirius in my last car with a portable unit, and have become addicted to no commercials. I don't have ANY FM stations on my favorites - it is too frustrating listening to commercials.

Also? Howard Stern, FTW.

On the Onstar side? I will be moving to the Safe & Sound subscription once my year is up. The immediate response in an accident is worth it for me. Never had to use, never hope to use it, but it sure makes me feel better driving.

Hey Main,

I haven't had Sirius before but XM DEFINITELY has commercials!

OuSoonersGirl - I'm sorry you misunderstood me. I meant despite the fact that you're probably a beautiful girl, it was no excuse for the hoodlums to act so aggressively. I didn't want you to think that saying you were a beautiful girl meant their aggressive actions were justified.
Ultimate_Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:33 AM   #36
RRED HOT
RRED HOT

Drives: 98 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
XM gone. ONstar too when it expires. Not paying for a service while it is stored for the winter.
+1
Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 AM   #37
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuSoonersGirl View Post
I had both in my Sky. I didn't keep XM after 2 years but I did keep my OnStar and I will continue to. I love it. The reason is because I was going to see my mom in Dallas one day and I got lost in Oakcliff. I had my top down and I was running on empty. As I pulled on one of the streets there were 3 guys in one of those long cars (Buick or something- I only remember the HUGE rims), and they started to follow me. At a stop light they pulled beside me and was trying to talk to me. I just smiled, turned my head back to the ligh and prayed that dang light would hurry and turn green. Then they started to say crap like "you think you too good to talk to us?" blah blah. I started to get a little scared and FINALLY that light turned green. They pulled behind me and I turned on a street praying please dont run out of gas, not here. They turned behind me. Every freakin turn I took they took. I didn't even know where in the hell I was going I just kept driving wishing there was a gas station or a cop would pass by. I then remembered "ONSTAR stupid". So I push the red button and told them to help me get to a gas station and stay on the line with me because of the guys. She did. She got me to the closest gas station and didnt hang up with me until I filled up and then gave me directions to where I needed to go. When i pulled into the gas station those hoodlums turned on the street but went ahead kept going. They probably were just messing with me but still i was scared.

So YEAH I will definitely keep Onstar.
No I don't think they were messing with you. That is one of the worst if not worst places you can drive around Dallas. I have some friends at work that call it The Hood. That area isn't safe to be in period IMHO and I live near there so I know exactly what you are talking about.

a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #38
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Bought lifetime XM package. When Onstar time is up, I'll renew it without GPS portion. The phone is minutes purchased, I'll keep that as a backup for when I forget my cell.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #39
bumblebee rules

Drives: 2010 BumbleBee ready to go now
XM no, no-star -yes, minutes, ????? when head out on a road trip, same as turn by turn. :-)
bumblebee rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #40
Cyber_Gray_Autobot

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
No XM, but love the ONSTAR! And I like the minutes too (for the built in cell phone, it feels like I am in KITT)
Cyber_Gray_Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #41
SoloSK71

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
After about 3 weeks with it, I will not be keeping XM. Sound quality, signal drops if a bird flys south of the car, no CBC radio ...

As far as OnStar, I will probably keep the Safe & Sound if I can get a deal on the pricing, otherwise not much need. My GPS does an equally good job, quicker.

- SK
- Good money, bad girls. How can life be any better?
- God saves. The devil invests.

- This may be the ultimate guide to problem solving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
it's not a WD-40 problem, so it's got to be a duct tape problem
SoloSK71 is offline   Reply With Quote