Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #71
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markel View Post
Oh, I use it and love it. It saves a lot of time and money. But if I were to add a supercharger, I wouldn't trust my build to algorithms that were not designed to account for forced induction.
Well, when your talking about modding the motor then I would say that all bets are off as to weather or not it would be accurate.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #72
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Changed my oil at 70% and about to do it again...

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #73
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Attachment 237261 Good point.

But I'm sure the ZR1 will. Hmmm..... Question for the experts maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I wonder how the ZL1 will handle it?

Anyone know?

They'd have to use a different system or none at all, or the current SS system will suffice. Maybe it actually DOES account by the harder strokes and more RPMs, and air flow and such???
Yes. There are HUNDREDS of variables this system monitors (well...maybe only lots of dozens, but it's a lot...). The key here, is that each car has it's own specifically-calibrated OLMS. This is similar to how every vehicle with Magnetic Ride gets its own specific calibration.

So the ZL1's algorithm will be just as effective as the SS, or the LT...or my Cobalt's.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #74
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
As mentioned earlier, here is what I got in the mail on the wife's car
Attached Images

f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #75
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I got the same recall on an 07 Acadia. Luckily I never followed the OLM.

I've seen plenty of those 3.6's with that problem. Probably not a coincidence that they didn't look so clean on the inside. The cams wear into the head material and when the cam sensor is so far out of line it eventually turns on the check engine light. Then you need heads, cams, timing chains, and a ton of labor.

Most engines are more robustly designed to handle oil that is a bit wore out. But when a more fragile one get's that much damage when following the OLM long oil change intervals - what does that tell you about high mileage oil?
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #76
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
The key is not so much as miles on the oil it is the kind of miles you have on the oil.....
were the miles Highway?
were the miles City?
were the miles driving 90 mph?
were the miles driving 70 mph?
were the miles drag racing light to light?

you have to use common sense with this. also it is normal for cars to use oil, just because you have no leaks doesnt mean the car will remain at full leevel for 5000 miles. you might be suprized to know that your camaro is most likely going to use 1 quart of oil per 5000 miles depending on how you drive it. higher RPM's = more consumption of oil.

if you do your own oil changes you should get a good feel for what kind of mileage intervals you should be using. it is trial and error with each vehicle IMO. it all depends on how your driving that thing.

I used to race motocross and we changed the oil for each track day.... because the bike was held wide open for 20 minute sessions a few times. now if i were just leisurely riding the same bike it would be a waste to change that oil every time i took the bike out.
The OLMtakes into account the factors listed above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markel View Post
PQ,

I can't imagine how the algorithms could account for being supercharged. I'd stick with the old school way....
It takes into account the temps, etc which will be affected by the S/C. If you have a boost guage in your S/C'ed car, you will be surprised to know that it is a rare thing to actually be running in boost. 99% of your driving will still be pulling vacuum. So the S/C doesn't really effect the way the engine operates most of the time. When you are under boost, the oil temps will go up which does effect your OLM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #77
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
IMO, if a vehicle is stock, follow the OLM but at 5k miles, start pulling the dipstick on the weekends to look at it/smell it. Common sense.
Now, modded or maybe even tuned...I'd start checking it at 3k mi. If methanol injected or running race gas, 3k or every 6 mo or between track runs. Depends on what's getting in oil.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #78
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
sounds good,, but people these days dont even check their tire pressure,, they wait for the tire light to come on ,, then they drive to the dealer with a flat tire to see why the light came on,, lol,, happens all the time!
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #79
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I've posted often that there is a ton of science behind the OLM on GM vehicles. There is still a lot of skepticism based on the "old school" and personal history.

I still go to get the oil changed in Mrs. Number 3's Malibu. She has 100 mile highway commute and the OLM will easily go to 10,000 miles. I always get the, "ohhhhhhhh, you shouldn't wait so long to get the oil changed, it's verrrrrry dirty". So someone less technical or without the belief in the science might be scared back into the 3,000 mile change.

GM never really got the credit for this, but their point was to be greener by changing your oil as needed, not at 3,000 miles "just because".

Also to add to this, isn't it required for 2011 + Models now to utlize the new Dexos 1 oil format put out by GM?

Not using the DEXOS 1 on your 2011 + GM vehicle might lead to voiding the warranty??
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #80
mondain

Drives: toyota
So how do you tell the GM oil monitoring system that you just changed your oil, and to reset the count clock per-se?
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #81
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
So how do you tell the GM oil monitoring system that you just changed your oil, and to reset the count clock per-se?

Read the owners manual.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #82
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
It's described in your manual.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #83
GRYGOOS
The Goose is loose!

Drives: 2011 2SS RS M6 CGM IO Stripes/Int
Quote:
Locate the Oil Life Monitor "screen" on your DIC, and hold the reset button on the end of the DIC control lever in until it resets to 100%

or

on earlier models like my 2000 Silverado, put the key to the run position and press the accellerator pedel to the floor 3 times in rapid sucession.
GRYGOOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #84
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
OnStar is "on my butt" about the Camaro OLM reading like in the 80s yet it's been a bit over a year since an oil change.

Hence the little warning sign on my OnStar report. They suspect I'm not resetting my OLM, but fugg 'em. Car only has 6800 miles on it. So when I change my oil, THEN I'll reset it.
I think someone mentioned earlier that the manual states to replace the oil when the OLM is at 0% OR it's been one year. Like gas, oil might age or deteriorate over time, so it still might be in your best interest to replace the oil because it has been over a year.